7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21 - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21

This is a discussion on 7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21 within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Originally Posted by Fishman21 Every morning when they are hungriest I have been trying to vary their diet with Frozen ...

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman21 View Post
    Every morning when they are hungriest I have been trying to vary their diet with Frozen Brine shrimp or flakes but with no luck.

Tried flakes today and they ate well for the first time - so it will be a slow progression to other food types.
    I used turkey heart in grow out #1, and it was very successful...unfortunately that source is no longer available. However, beef heart is also excellent and really not that hard to make. If you put it out there, several local breeders have excellent recipes.
    Fishman21 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps George ... hope NZ is treating you well again this year.

I may try Discus but it will be about my success with anoxic filtration. I can’t handle daily water changes. If I get good results from anoxic filtration then I will try Discus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    guppygeorge likes this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Day 5

Nothing to report other than that now I understand the need to wipe down when doing a water change. With such heavy feeding, there is a rapid build up of micro-organisms living on the glass surface - giving a hazy look to the tank. This slime coat needs to be removed as it will also be a location where harmful micro organisms can flourish.

Just my learning for the day....
    For sure wiping the glass down at water change time is a significant key to success.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Just a quick note on filter variants I am investigating with they are anoxic not anaerobic.

To clarify, anoxic filters work with a special type of aerobic bacteria that in normal conditions use dissolved oxygen in Aquarium water. In low oxygen conditions these bacteria operate as anoxic bacteria getting their oxygen from Nitrate because the dissolved oxygen is limited. This is the final step of the Nitrogen cycle, Nitrogen gas is the final byproduct. The gas bubbles off, evaporating into the atmosphere. Since 80% of Earth’s atmosphere is Nitrogen gas, we are surrounded by a lot of it.

If I get any success with anoxic filtration lowering Nitrate and bringing it to near zero, thereby providing a low stress environment for Discus or any other fish for that matter I will let the forum know. In particularly I am looking at the effectiveness of plenums and DIY biocenosis filtration boxes.

Anaerobic bacteria on the other hand live in conditions with no oxygen at all. Oxygen is actually toxic to anerobic bacteria. These bacteria metabolize chemicals rich in Hydrogen like methane and usually their off-gas is toxic to any species that is aerobic like our fish.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Very interesting about the anoxic filtration, I look forward to hearing your results.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Thanks Rick ...

If I am understanding it correctly besides Ammonia and Nitrite which can easily be handled by good filtration it's the Nitrate levels that are the most problematic for all fish including Discus.

I am basing my thoughts on my Aquatic Biology studies and practical experience of running the Cheakamus Centre (Outdoor School) Salmonid Teaching Hatchery for decades. At the CC we had a flow through system, and I was dealing with 100,000s of eggs/alevin/fry annually, species highly suseptable to ammonia / nitrate shock. I am not sure but Salmonids may be even more delicate than Discus re: water conditions. In nature like the CC hatchery fresh water flows through at a high rate so Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate never build up it's flushed out ... its the way Salmonids like it. Tempartures under 7 degrees Celcius also help ... slower decomposition and higher dissolved oxygen than the 25 + degrees for Discus.

So if I am understanding things correctly there two ways to get Nitrate to low levels for sensitive fish like Discus. (1) Create a flow through system of fairly high volume ... I have never seen a fish room auto system of high volume, it would be very water wasteful as well. or (2) Water changes to reduce fish waste and any other chemicals in the water which build up in any closed system, not just fish tanks , lakes, ponds and swamps too. This is water wasteful as well, at a lower rate, unless you are collecting rain water.

In nature it's the continual water cycle, solar powered, that is doing the flushing out. In the fish room it's us doing the water changes with some help from our machines powered by human and mechanical energy.

The anoxic filter idea comes from the pond fish keeping world, which usually means high volumes of water. My main question is can this idea be adapted to the relatively small water volumes of fish tanks. The ultimate goal is creating the best closed system water conditions for our fish and save a bit of our time, energy and water at the same time.
    Last edited by VElderton; 01-26-2018 at 07:19 PM.
    guppygeorge likes this.

Fish Room Album

Forum Guru

Insightful as always Victor

Forum Resident

Day 19

I now see a noticeable increase in size and will probably have to relocate out of the 10G quite soon. Appetites remain good, even immediately after a 90% change - this tells me they are fine with the water quality from the buffer tank.

Also, over the last few days, markings have started to appear on the biggest individual, pleasing to see the development!

Discus Jan 25th.jpg
    blueberry likes this.
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"

Great to see spotting already showing at such a young age. This is very promising.
    Fishman21 likes this.

Forum Guru

Day 19

I now see a noticeable increase in size and will probably have to relocate out of the 10G quite soon. Appetites remain good, even immediately after a 90% change - this tells me they are fine with the water quality from the buffer tank.

Also, over the last few days, markings have started to appear on the biggest individual, pleasing to see the development!

Discus Jan 25th.jpg
    Just my thoughts...based on limited experience...I'd get them out of the 10 asap
    Fishman21 likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast