7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Blueberry
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Blueberry

This is a discussion on 7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Blueberry within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Day 1 I am excited to be a part of this competition. I picked up my discus from Rick yesterday ...

Default7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Blueberry

Day 1

I am excited to be a part of this competition. I picked up my discus from Rick yesterday Jan 7, 18. Rick is a very nice gentleman. I was amazed to see all the gorgeous and very large discus at his place. So beautiful and tanks are immaculate. I am going to give it my best to to do daily water changes and see what a difference it makes in their growth. Also seeing the parents of the fish I know their potential and this motivates me. Thank you Rick for running this. All the best to everyone in the competition!

Set up:
    -15 gallon tank (bare bottom white bottom and sides) upgrading to 30, and then to my 90g
    -Hang on back filter and internal filter for added surface agitation.
    -Heat at 87
    -Planning on doing 75% or more a day water changes a day. Filling buckets with tap water and then waiting for
    microbubbles to settle, then siphoning that water into tank.
    -Daylight led in day and change to blue night light in evening.
    -Feed FDBW 3 to 4x a day or possibly more.

When I got them home I floated bag in tank for approx 20 min. I then transferred them into tank they swam around but seemed to huddle in the corner, so turned out light and turned on a blue light. After that they started swimming everywhere and feeling more comfortable. Did not feed them anything first day. They are very adorable.

Next morning they ate some FDBW and don't seem to be bothered by the light anymore. Swimming around and looking good. They are approx 1.5 inches.
    discus bag.jpgbaby discus.jpg
    Last edited by blueberry; 01-08-2018 at 11:02 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Thank-you for the detailed journal entry. Looks like you are off to a great start with the little guys. Good luck!
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Update 1 month

Discus are doing good. I am really enjoying these little guys! They are happy, growing and eating well. Always seem hungry so that is a good sign I think. Feeding them FDBW several times a day. They have definitely grown especially the 2 larger ones. I have been doing 75% water change daily, though on a few occasions have to admit I did wait till the following day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blueberry; 02-05-2018 at 09:34 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Excellent job. Nice to see them growing up, looks like a few spots are already showing on one of them.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Update 2 months

Things are going along very well with discus. Starting to show some personality and seeing pecking order now. One of the smaller ones seems to be a tough guy, thought the biggest one would be most dominant. They always rush up to greet me when approaching tank.

I've found it working good to do water changes every second day 75 to 80%. Tested my water on second day and happy that nitrates are below 5 so I think that is fine. Added a fake plant and they seem to like swimming through the branches.

Made up a batch of homemade beefheart mix. They really love it and feed it to them once a day. The rest of the day feed them FDBW. Feed them about 4-6 times per day.

I working on resealing my 33 gallon tank and getting it ready for them to transfer to, as they are starting to outgrow the 15 gallon.

Will update again when I transfer them to the bigger tank.

Eating homemade beefheart mix

Last edited by blueberry; 03-14-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    guppygeorge and Kai.Le like this.

Forum Newbie

They look good. I can't get my guys to eat my BH mix. Are you still feeding FDBW?

Yes, I only feed BH mix 1x and day and rest time feed FDBW. Maybe they like the garlic in it it smells pretty good

Forum Resident

Mine go quite crazy for FDBW. They will peck at bloodworm, brineshrimp and flakes but FDBW clearly remain the favorite.
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"

Finished resealing my 33 and was getting ready to transfer fish to it but that will have to wait. I noticed one of the discus not eating for a few days. Checked parameters, all seem fine. Did water change. I sat and watched them for a real long time yesterday and saw that they seemed off not eating well. Decided to treat tank with kanaplex last night as one of them stomach looked swollen. I lowered the temp to 84. Today they really don't seem any better and just pick at the food. So at this point I'm not sure what I should do. Does kanaplex make them less interested in food ? I guess it has only been 1 day so maybe I will wait longer to see if they improve, and do water changes everyday(redosing kanaplex). Or my other option raising temp and see if that helps? Should I go get metro as well? So many questions wish they could tell me what is wrong. Will try to call Rick to see what he thinks.
    Last edited by blueberry; 03-31-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast