7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Blueberry - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Blueberry

This is a discussion on 7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Blueberry within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; April update Well had a real tough time of it past 3 weeks. Very depressing lost 5 of my babies. ...

April update

Well had a real tough time of it past 3 weeks. Very depressing lost 5 of my babies. Did some crying lost some sleep and now have to move on and just learn from this experience. I had been conversing with Rick who has been very helpful to try to get me through this. Symptoms of fish just wasn't clear enough and couldn't pinpoint what was exactly wrong. (Makes me want to get a microscope)

Used kanaplex for full course then lost 2, and then moved on to general cure (Metro and prazi) . Had to go away for weekend which was really bad timing and leave them with the last dose of general cure; feeling they would be dead when I returned. Came home to 3 dead and 1 fish barely alive. I immediately did a water change. I thought ok I have nothing to lose and decided to treat with Clout. I used the shotgun method(Dr Erik Johnson) Treating on day 1,2,3 5 and 7 and to my surprise fish is looking better. Discus have not eaten for over 2 weeks no matter what I tried. I hatched some baby brine shrimp and put some in the tank, and I'm so happy he started eating them. I'm really hoping he will continue to improve. I must say how attached I have gotten to these little guys. Broke my heart to see the others die.

Note: I did see a lot of white stringy poo later on and scratching. Thinking they had hexamita(malawi bloat), and possibly flukes but not sure.
    Last edited by blueberry; 04-25-2018 at 11:55 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

So sorry to hear that!

Thanks Sulfur appreciate that

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

Oh no, that's really unfortunate. Sorry to hear. I understand how you feel having experienced some losses along the way myself (Now down to 3). For me things have stabilized in the last month and they are eating well, so I would just recommend you persevere with the surviving guy.
    blueberry likes this.
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"

Sorry to hear it as well. If it was a parasite ... makes me wonder, where would that have come from?
    blueberry likes this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Hi Victor, thanks again for your help as well during this. Not sure if it was flukes for sure. From what I've read they supposedly lay dormant, or may only a few that doesn't bother them and when under stress they multiply. Someone more knowledgeable can maybe pipe up. I think that's why some discus keepers deworm from time to time. They did run around like something was attacking near end. As for the malawi bloat Hexamita that as well can go out of whack when for whatever reason(it's present in their gut)there are many theories; too much food, type of food,water quality, stress from other tank mates, being picked on. I have had malawi bloat with my african cichlids as well before. I also should note that during treatment of the kaneplex I saw small amount of ammonia at the end which may have played a role in causing the downward spiral and added more stress. I never had any ammonia to start with and also when treating, water was changed and more medicine was added. I diligently checked night and day after just to make sure all was well with the perimeters, and it was all ok. If this was to happen again I would probably raise the heat and wait to see if that would help before adding medication.

Found this on internet..
    Flukes (Gyrodactylus) Gyrodactylus is a broad group of parasites commonly called "Flukes". These are in fact skin or gill flukes, which attach themselves to the skin or gills of the fish, and can cause a great deal of damage. ... The odd parasite is often present, & appears under good conditions, to remain dormant.
    Last edited by blueberry; 04-25-2018 at 11:44 AM.

May update

It's been over 2 weeks now since moving my last little discus to my 90g with my other discus. He is happy and eating well now.
    Fishman21 likes this.

June Update

My last discus is doing well, he gets right in with the group(no fear). Happy nobody seems to bother him. He was one of the smaller discus I had from the original group and still remains pretty small. Feeding FDBW, NLS and occasionally beef heart mix.
    Last edited by blueberry; 06-28-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

Sorry to say my last baby discus died. Things where going very well. I was really stupid and got overconfident by adding some cardinals to my discus tank who I think made him sick.(I didn't quarantine them). Bad decision I know. Sad to say I'm out of the competition but learned a lot through this experience. Looking forward to seeing who wins. It's been interesting following the others progress.

*Just wanted to mention I am unable to post pictures on bcaquaria anymore or view others peoples pictures as well. Does anyone know why?

Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. Really bad luck.

I do have an orphan that is being bullied in my tank if you have an interest. He hasn't coloured up yet but is starting to develop spots
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2