7th annual CAF discus grow out contest journal: Garageman1212
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

7th annual CAF discus grow out contest journal: Garageman1212

This is a discussion on 7th annual CAF discus grow out contest journal: Garageman1212 within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; ...

Forum Newbie

Default7th annual CAF discus grow out contest journal: Garageman1212

Hi everyone glad to be back for the second year in a row. I had a blast last year and was lucky enough to come away with the win. My routine this year is mostly the same as last year with one difference being instead of the tank being in my kitchen I built a fish room. Itís much faster and spills are way less annoying as there is a floor drain.
    Filtration- sponge filters powered by an alita pump.
    Heater- ehime with inkbird heater controller set to 30C, room is heated to 25C
    Water changes- I have 100 gallon x2 storage containers water is heated and aged over night. I change 95 ish % twice a day sometimes 3 times if Iím home during the day. Iíve got it down to about 5 minutes a change.
    Feed- FDBW they are fed every 3 hours going to try and get them on some pellets so i can set them up on an auto feeder during the night.

Still have some work to do to finish up the room bulkheads came in so Iím going to drill the tanks and finish plumbing the aging tanks. Really excited to see how it all plays out. Good luck everyone!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Wow! That is a serious water change schedule. Good luck in the contest!
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

I can see why you won last year! I better get off the computer and go do a water change lol
    Last edited by blueberry; 03-31-2018 at 10:46 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Just a quick suggestion on night feeding ... I think Discus are diurnal which means they are visual predators so feeding at night might be detriment.

I'd keep to last year's schedule, why change what was most effective last year. However one thing you might want to try and I have seen really effective with breeders of rare cichlid is shutting down filtration during any live food feeding for 15 minutes of intense feeding. I also use gel food cubes between feedings so young fry can feed when they want to and it gets them ready for pellet foods when they are older.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Forum Newbie

February update- fish are doing great eating lots and growing good. Spent lots of time moving the fish room after I finally got it finished. It was in my basement and was really cold. On cold days the walls and floor were 16-17c and the bill too heat the tanks was crazy so I moved it up to a spare bedroom and had to redo all the plumbing. Drains and central air is done just have to finish up the water lines. Little bit of work but itís worth it room sits at 24 just from the tanks no more space heaters running all day. Do miss the floor drain in the basement though already flooded the room once haha. Iíll try to get a better picture tomorrow they werenít cooperating today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Newbie

March update- not much to update this month everything is pretty much the same. Everyone is eating and growing well up to almost 4 full cubes of fdbw a day. They all seem to have some good color coming in. And same as last month I took a crappy picture I’ll try to get a better one haha.

Forum Newbie

April update: this month wasn’t as smooth as the others. Seem to be having the same problems as others. I think it’s tied to some bad water we were getting stressing them out and weakening their immune system. They stopped eating and have some white poo so most likely hex. Doesn’t seem to be responding well to metro. They are on their second treatment, much bigger dose twice a day so we will see if they start showing some improvement soon. I’ll keep everyone updated.

Forum Resident

Fingers crossed the medication works
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"

My last discus I have been treating for hex with clout. He was pooping a lot of white poo and wasn't eating. The clout really seemed to help as it also has metro in it, but is another form called Dimetridazole. I was researching it and read it dissolves better in water then metronidazole, and absorbs into the fish better. The way I got him interested in eating again is by hatching baby brine shrimp. Once he was eating them very well, I started him on crushed NLS(extremely small) mixed with the metro and focus. I found they cannot eat very big pieces of food after they get hex. So the trick is to give them tiny food. He now has normal poo and starting to eat bigger pieces. I am going to continue feeding him this for awhile just to be sure it's gone.
    Last edited by blueberry; 05-03-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    Fishman21 likes this.

Forum Newbie

May update- this month has had its ups and downs. They seem to get slightly better then worse again and it’s all different. Some have some fin rot some have external parasites. A few randomly bloat up. Its like they have no immune system. So just treating as stuff comes up. Kanaplex fixes the bloating right away. Lots of salt dips. But hex seems to be gone. They seem to be stable right now just keeping the tank super clean. Trying to use as little meds as possible as I don’t want to burn out their organs. But they are all still alive and eating, not a lot but at least they are eating so just going to keep trucking alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast