7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Jacobi
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Jacobi

This is a discussion on 7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Jacobi within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Hi Discus Enthusiasts! Really looking forward to having some fun growing out these discus juvies. The fish are due to ...

Forum Newbie

Default7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Jacobi

Hi Discus Enthusiasts!

Really looking forward to having some fun growing out these discus juvies. The fish are due to arrive on Thursday.

Equipment is basically the same as everyone else;

- 15 gal bare bottom tank
    - temp 30C
    - AC HOB filter
    - daily water changes with 'aged' water and tank 'wipe down'
    - feeding FDBW 6-8x a day and maybe add in beefheart/seafood mix when the fish settle
    - move them to a 30G or 40G in 6-8 weeks (depends how fat and happy they are)

Hey Edmontonians, you up for a little Edmonton/Kelowna challenge?

Good Luck everybody!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a great set-up for the discus. I look forward to following your progress. Good luck!
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Aqua_Farm View Post
    Sounds like a great set-up for the discus. I look forward to following your progress. Good luck!
    thank you, Rick.

Nothing to report fellow discus keepers. Our fish (there are 2 of us in Kelowna) love Rick and have decided to stay a few extra days with him. Expected arrival is Tuesday (weather and road conditions permitting).

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Fish arrived!!

Day 1

The fish were very active in the bag. I floated them for about 20 min then started adding water to the bag - 1/2 cup or so every 10-15 min. After 4 or 5 additions, I poured the bag and fish into a net and plopped them in the tank. They looked around then went and hid under the sponge filter. I left the light off and didn't add any food. Temp 30C, AC 70 filter. So far, so good. They are all alive and so am I.

Pics to follow when I figure out to upload them.

Forum Newbie

Day 2

I stuck 1/4 cube of FDBW on tank wall and after awhile the largest of the group ventured over to check it out. Followed cautiously by the rest of the group. An hour or two later, I stuck another one and they went after it too. Then another 2 hours later. They are still very nervous and zip back to hide under the sponge filter or the fake plant at any external movement. It seemed the AC 70 produced a little too much current so I pulled it out, activated the sponge filter and put on an AC 20. Did an 80% water change. I wouldn't say they are 'settled' yet but are getting a bit braver. I am not sure who is more nervous, them or me.

Forum Resident

Takes several days for them to settle down. As long as they are eating it's a good thing.

Mine are 2 weeks old now and today was the first time they came to the front of the tank at feeding time.
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"

Forum Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman21 View Post
    Takes several days for them to settle down. As long as they are eating it's a good thing.

Mine are 2 weeks old now and today was the first time they came to the front of the tank at feeding time.
    Yup, you nailed it Fishman21. Thx. They are out and about, in a little group, exploring and picking food off the bottom all over the tank. They sure cute little guys.
    Fishman21 likes this.

Forum Newbie

Whoaaa!! Heart attack city today!! I was doing a 'big' water change and i was watching the pail so it wouldn't overflow. All of a sudden I see something fluttering along the bottom and realized i had drained the tank almost empty and the fish were all on their sides flopping about. poopty poopty pants hahaha. Fish grow out fun!

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jacobi View Post
    Whoaaa!! Heart attack city today!! I was doing a 'big' water change and i was watching the pail so it wouldn't overflow. All of a sudden I see something fluttering along the bottom and realized i had drained the tank almost empty and the fish were all on their sides flopping about. poopty poopty pants hahaha. Fish grow out fun!
    Just the first of many adventures you will experience in this grow out.......keep the faith

Forum Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by guppygeorge View Post
    Just the first of many adventures you will experience in this grow out.......keep the faith
    thank you guppygeorge. I remember you from the first grow out. so far, all good. in fact great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast