7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Kai.Le - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Kai.Le

This is a discussion on 7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Kai.Le within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; well, looks like theyre all back to normal, no more black discus problem - just them being stress with me ...

Forum Beginner

well, looks like theyre all back to normal, no more black discus problem - just them being stress with me working on the tank all the time. i added the fake green plant back in to help with stress issues if they had any. i always like tinkering with everything.

added more holes to overflow, added christmas moss to the sump tank, had a tankful from a ten gallon shrimp tank. upgraded the return pump to one thats over 1000 gallons an hour - adjustable since no way i can handle that amount.

i had fluffy bacteria issue growing after that huge wipedown and that is all gone looks like.

so at the moment i think I’m going to stop tinkering for now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

so looks like there’s a pecking order now.. the runt that gets picked on all the time seems to be stunted compared to the rest.. seen him attempt to get food and get pecked away.. took him into my ten gallon quarantine tank to see if he’ll come back healthy and eating. his belly was bit incaved and not bloated like the rest of them. they are almost all triple his size

upgrade to the tank. took off the lid and used a different light so i can make it a topless - easier for water change and cleaning..
    food - added in australian freeze dried, want to eventually switch to less source of food. flakes and freeze dried.. the big one really like the flakes on top of the freeze dried. i bought a “variety” for the califoria freeze dried but some versions the discus didnt. like or eat.
    also - removed the sump system and replaced it with two canister eheim pro 3 : 600 and 350.
    filtration amount increased a lot and can tell by the fishes reaction and how clean the tank floor is.

at the moment, this is when their size has been growing huge. 3+ inches and can see the growth difference between the runt and the big ones

more circulation from double waterfall spouts. took out all the airline and the sponge pump.

Forum Beginner

size comparison with the stunted one in the back. will try to take a vid in the future
    578F6583-F0CA-4551-BA50-3C02CDC02342.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

vid of their size for comparison. the stunted small one can see that its 1/3 the size of the biggest one. that stunted one had also a time when it was sick and turned dark for a week a couple weeks back as mentioned

also - in edmonton, snow has been melting and the water quality has been very bad from the sounds of it for the past two weeks.. I noticed after my recently water change a week or two back that the discuses gills were exposed more than usually.
    I added an air stone back in -- less water change till everything settles down and more dosing of water conditioner (3x amount of prime).

[Tank]: 55G Fluval Tank -- topless. simple top lighting.
    - added fake plant back in.

[1x heaters]: eheim 150 watt heater

[Air Setup]:Fluval 0.2 Air pump with a long bar air stone

[water change]: Python water changer and to supplement for faster water removal: MaxiJet 1200 marineland pump
    [temperature]: 86
    [Food]:freeze dried california Blackworms - ASSORTED, mixes includes beefheart, tetra colors bits, PE mysis, plankton, spinach
    update : added also australia freeze dried.

[current fishes only]:2x spotted Cory Julii. 9x Red Phantom Tetras.
    [Lighting]: 15 hours -- 830am to 1130pm

[Feeding]: 4-5 times daily. Automatically feeder during day when not home.

[Water Change]: every other day currently while the water condition in edmonton is having issues.
    Water change direct from kitchen tap - 3x caps of Prime
    Last edited by Kai.Le; 04-22-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    sulfur and blueberry like this.

Forum Beginner

current update:
    removed the tetras, added a pleco (really nice addition for brown algae)
    added large anubis and driftwood (pic not taken with wood yet)
    the stunted discus is active again - very cute
    anither discus - his back tail looks to be rotting, he darken occassionally. eating not as much, hard to really tell.
    probably not letting the discus grow in a calm environment since i keep chaning the tank around — but im really enjoying myself with trying to get the look i want while trying to set a good environment for them.

discus sizing
    21F769A0-5C96-46AA-9190-BD11D2519352.jpg

tank setup
    01FCABCF-7567-498C-9440-27BBC5037D21.jpg

Forum Beginner

update: came home one day and the smallest stunted one had jumped the tank. RIP , was really fond of him and his activeness
    the blacken discus has recovered to the point he is not hiding anymore. his tail still shows sign of fin rot but he’s a lot more active now when the food comes.

no more issue with algae since the pleco was added. adjusted the light time down to less than 6 hours a day.

water change is now every 2 days with about 60/70% change. feel like the filtration is really good that i don’t need the daily.
    will post pic later

Forum Beginner
    Fishman21 likes this.

that's a noticeable improvement good job
    500 gallon plywood tank
    230 motor stingray breeding tank. led lighting, dual sump sump,and drip system
    150 gallon saltwater mixed reef.
    150 gallon African cichlid
    90 gallon fahaka puffer tank
    75 gallon flowerhorn tank
    55 gallon axolotle tank
    loads of guppies and shrimp tanks

They are so big! Very nice!

Forum Newbie

Good evening everyone, I realized now that my video of the little gaffers did no post so I’m trying pics instead. I could only get a pic of 4 of them. All 6 Discus are happy and healthy, I think they are growing but some days it’s hard to tell as I see them everyday. I really hope everyone else is having great success. Happy tanking everyone!!! 😊

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast