7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: timkeppy
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: timkeppy

This is a discussion on 7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: timkeppy within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; I am opening this thread to help timkeppy get started. Attached is a photo of his set up. I will ...

Default7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: timkeppy

I am opening this thread to help timkeppy get started. Attached is a photo of his set up. I will let Tim take it from here...
    1.jpg
    hamburgerhelper and blueberry like this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Good morning everyone...so starts the competition...I first want to thank Rick for all his patience with me as I'm a fool when it comes to anything with technology, so thanks Rick for posting the pic of my tank and starting this thread for me. The tank is a 33 gallon long running 2 Fluval C3 filters, sand substrate with fake plants. I'm keeping the water temp at 28 degrees Celsius and will be feeding the youngsters freeze dried blood worms to begin with then progressing to a combination of frozen blood worms, and Mysis shrimp. I have adult Discus but have never had anything this small before, I think it's pretty cool. The fish were shipped yesterday and made it home in one piece. Right now they are hiding in the plants and seem a little stressed to say the least but I'm assuming it won't be long before they will get use to their new home.
    guppygeorge likes this.

Forum Resident

Yeah they seem to take a day or two before settling down. Mine are a week old now and eating like crazy.
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Good morning... day # 2...finally the little gaffers are cruising around the tank exploring it as a group. I still have not seen them eat but I'm going to assume they are. I've been told that Discus love to show you how pissed off they are by not eating I fed freeze dried blood worms first thing this morning and now I will try Mysis shrimp as a mid morning snack...Happy tanking everyone

Forum Newbie

It's Sunday, fun day!! Day # 3...I did a water change today and thank the good Lord I actually saw the little gaffers eating!!! I fed them some frozen blood worms this morning. I have heard from my "expert" that Discus don't normally get food from the surface, she also suggested that I try black worms which I will get from her tomorrow, hey I'm just happy that the little gaffers are all still alive and for the most part having fun cruising back and forth exploring the tank. Phase 2 will be to get them to grow like a weed...lol...have a great day everyone and happy tanking!!!

Forum Newbie

I'm beginning to think I'm posting to much, maybe I'll do this on a weekly basis as to not bore everyone with my dribble...lol Day # 4...I went and bought black worm cubes today, holy crap!!! did the little gaffers love that, I also made the decision to buy 5 Sterbai Corydoras to help clean the sand substrate, they to are having the time of their lives although I don't think the little gaffers know what all the crazy movement is but at this point they seem to try and follow the Sterbai...good luck...lol All right everyone have a quiet, relaxing evening, and Stay Safe!!!

Forum Newbie

Good day folks, I have no idea what day it is anymore as work has been super busy and because we work 24 hr shifts I loose track of time pretty quickly. I think it is day # 7. The little gaffers have settled in nicely and eating like every meal is there last. I have switched to freeze dried black worms which they are loving. The Sterbai have also found the black worms. I was able to do a quick water change yesterday morning before we were called out which I'm thankful for. I start days off tomorrow morning so I will be able to do a couple of more water changes on days off. the little gaffers are not scared anymore and are making use of the whole tank. Anytime I come near the tank they want to get fed so I'm assuming that's a good sign. That's it for now. Everyone enjoy their weekend and Stay Safe!!

They sure to love freeze dried black worms. I'm glad to were able to get ahold of some. Looking forward to seeing photos. Good luck in the contest!
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Newbie

Hello everyone, no I haven't fallen off the face of the earth...lol...well it's been just over a month since I received my Discus. Everyone of them are doing well, they are definitely not scared of me because when I go to put a cube of freeze dried black worms in the tank they start nibbling on my fingers. 2 of the little gaffers are really starting to grow well and are far bigger then the rest. I went away on holidays for a week so the fish were only fed 1x/day while I was gone, I'm just happy they all survived and seem happy. I'm not feeding or doing water changes as many times as the rest of you and that's ok with me as long as the fish are still happy. My biggest concern was keeping the sand substrate clean which is why I purchased 5 Sterba Corys. They are doing a wonderful job of being the "clean up crew" I love their erratic movement although sometimes I think the little gaffers don't appreciate it much. I still haven't figured out how to upload pics which frustrates me but I see from everyone else's pics that all of our fish are of similar size, color, and emerging patterns. Folks my goal in this competition is to keep the little gaffers happy and healthy, anything else is a bonus. Happy tanking everyone

Forum Newbie

FINALLY!!! I have figured it out!!! The first pic is the day after I got the little gaffers and the second pic is taken tonight. I will try and upload a video tomorrow at feeding time
    Fishman21 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast