Care Suggestions For Small Discus - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Care Suggestions For Small Discus

This is a discussion on Care Suggestions For Small Discus within the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery forums, part of the Vendors category; Originally Posted by Canadian_Aqua_Farm #3 Tank size: I like to aim for a stocking density of around 1-2 gallons per ...

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Aqua_Farm View Post
    #3 Tank size: I like to aim for a stocking density of around 1-2 gallons per discus. Keeping them densely stocked helps them feel safe which in turn results in better appetites and more outgoing personalities. It also helps to spread out aggression. I also find that covering the back and sides of the aquarium with light coloured paper helps the discus to feel comfortable.
    So a question comes to mind. 9 discus in a 55 gallon is not as good as 9 discus in a 10 or 20 gallon tank. Yes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
    Attachment 11311

This was to be my discus tank. If my super filter works it'll be a go if not well changing 90% of 200 gallons daily is out of the question.

The tank is L 96" X W 20" X H 24". The interior has two coats of epoxy a silicone at the edges. I have tile that will be applied on top of the paint.
    Grow your discus in smaller tanks until they reach 3"-4" and they'll be fine going into the big tank with less frequent water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diztrbd1 View Post
    Great post indeed Rick! you should make this a sticky in your section. If you don't know how to and want me to do it just lemme know.
    Thanks John, please make it a sticky. I'm not sure how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
    So a question comes to mind. 9 discus in a 55 gallon is not as good as 9 discus in a 10 or 20 gallon tank. Yes?
    Yes, 9 small discus would be better in a 10g or 20g. If we are talking about 3" and up then they are better in the 55g.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Yes John, make it a Sticky for Rick's site - It's a great post & deserving of that !

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

it's now a sticky and your very welcome Rick! just so you know, for in the future, if you was to make a thread a sticky, just click "edit post" on the first post, then click "go advanced" ....in the options at the bottom you will see the following(example below) Just click the proper box then click "save changes and it will be a sticky in your section. You can also do it when you are making the thread, but I believe you have to be in the advanced editing when doing it.

These discus are about quarter size and show the condition and feeding response that you should look for if buying discus fry.

Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Banned

Hi,

First of all I want to thank Rick from the bottom of my heart for offering me his valuable knowledge, experience, and last but not least, the opportunity to have some of his excellent discus.

Secondly, I want to say I really enjoyed visiting Rick's beautiful house and how impressive I was to see that his tanks were all so crystal clear with sprinkling clean water--yet he does not use any filter!

Rick is obviously someone who puts in many hours to look after his fish (he has to in order to keep his tanks so clean without any filter) and he obviously puts the health and well being of his fish before anything else.

I have taken some pictures of Rick's beautiful tanks here with his permission. As you can see, they are really crystal clear. His fish are very healthy and beautiful. There is no filter, only airstone.

I live in Richmond so it was a very long drive for me, but Rick packaged the fish very well for me. He placed them in a bag which was wrapped with newspaper then bagged in another bag. I brought with me a cooler to keep the bags from moving and to try keep the water temp from dropping.

I got lost so it took me 2 hours to come home. I was worried they might be very stressed but they did not turn dark at all. Actually they kept swimming all over the place in the bags.

After floating the bags for about 20-30 minutes, I released them.

During the first 20 minutes they looked a bit uncomfortable. I decided to give them a bit of blackworm that Rick uses to feed his fish.

In about 5 minutes, all the fish were very active chasing the worms. They were all over the place and all the worms were gone very quickly.

When I released the discus I did not want to use the net to scare them so I just released them with the water in the bag. There were some poo in the water so I decided to do a small water change to make sure water stayed clean like the way they were in Rick's place.

I am doing what Rick suggested which is that I use a HOB filter with only ceramic media, and I use a new white sponge to wipe the inside of the tank including the floor down when I do my water change. I rinse the ceramic media and the whole filter in tank water. I add the little crystals Rick gave me instead of using Prime to condition my water.

I did not cover the back of the tank up when the discus first arrived but I found a few pieces of white boards and coveedr up the tank after water change per Rick's suggestion.

I also added a sponge pre-filter to the inlet but they sometimes tend to hide a bit under the sponge so I removed that.

They looked very hungry so I feed them... again...and then again...and again...

These guys never stop eating!

2 hours later I decided to perform another water change when they finally slowly down a bit with their feedings. I changed about 60% of the water. They did not really jump or bump all over the place when I changed the water. They were very calm.

I turned off the light in the room (but left the light on above the tank). I put a bit of blackworm in my hand and one discus came and ate that off my hand! It felt really special especially considering how my last batch of discus never really ate anything and was always hiding.

I did a 90% water change before I went to bad last night. I cleaned all the inside surfaces of the tank, washed the heater, therometer, filter, and ceramic media in tank water. I probabaly did not need to do that but I wanted to build a habbit and got into a routine.

I changed 60% water this morning after I fed them, then I changed about 60% again this afternoon. I will change 90% of water tonight before I go to bed.

I have fed them about 7-8 times in a day. They have great appetite and they love the black worm Rick provided.

I have no experience keeping discus. My last batch only lasted a few days and then they just died one after another.

I decided to follow Rick's instruction to the dots. One cannot argue with success so instead of saying "but..." I will follow his way and will report on how they are doing on a regular basis.

I cannot thank Rick enough for taking his valuable time to share with me his valuable knowledge, experience, wisdom and I am so thankful for this 6 healthy little guys.

Thank you very much for reading.
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 09-10-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Great job Fish rookie, with care like that they'll be jumbos in no time. Thank-you for sharing your procedure in such excellent detail.

Banned

I will try my best. These guys are just so cute and beautiful, they deserve nothing less than my best effort.
    Forgot to mention they are tiger turquoise discus.
    I have 6 of them kept in a bare bottom 10 gallon tank.
    They are quite tiny, much smaller than what I had last time from another breeder.

Rick,
    I have a question about what to do at night if you don't mind.
    Since it is very important to keep the water very clean but it is also important to keep them well fed for optimum growth, I am wondering if I should feed them before I go to bed, or should I not feed them at all once I have cleaned the tank completely?
    I fed them some worms last night as they looked so hungry (they always do LOL) before I went to bed and this morning the worms were all gone. However, I did noticed that there were some worms trapped in the filter. Since I usually sleep for about 8 hours I am just wondering if it might be bad for the water to have worms decaying in the filter for many hours.
    I plan to do a 60% water change in the morning after I feed them once.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 09-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Mr Know It all
    4097 Hastings st. Burnaby bc Aprils aquarium

Congrats. I'm sure you will succeed. As the saying goes...if it ain't broke..don't fix.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    Congrats. I'm sure you will succeed. As the saying goes...if it ain't broke..don't fix.
    Thanks April. Really appreciate your encouragement and help.

A friend of mine who knew nothing about fish saw my last batch of discus, which were always hiding and not doing much at all. When I showed her my new discus yesterday, her comment was "O..so discus do eat and move...I thought they never do...cool!"

This batch feels like a whole different breed of fish compared to my last batch. They are always moving around and eating like there is no tomorrow.

Last edited by Fish rookie; 09-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    guppygeorge likes this.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast