Care Suggestions For Small Discus - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Care Suggestions For Small Discus

This is a discussion on Care Suggestions For Small Discus within the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery forums, part of the Vendors category; Originally Posted by Fish rookie I will try my best. These guys are just so cute and beautiful, they deserve ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish rookie View Post
    I will try my best. These guys are just so cute and beautiful, they deserve nothing less than my best effort.
    Forgot to mention they are tiger turquoise discus.
    I have 6 of them kept in a bare bottom 10 gallon tank.
    They are quite tiny, much smaller than what I had last time from another breeder.

Rick,
    I have a question about what to do at night if you don't mind.
    Since it is very important to keep the water very clean but it is also important to keep them well fed for optimum growth, I am wondering if I should feed them before I go to bed, or should I not feed them at all once I have cleaned the tank completely?
    I fed them some worms last night as they looked so hungry (they always do LOL) before I went to bed and this morning the worms were all gone. However, I did noticed that there were some worms trapped in the filter. Since I usually sleep for about 8 hours I am just wondering if it might be bad for the water to have worms decaying in the filter for many hours.
    I plan to do a 60% water change in the morning after I feed them once.
    Thank you.
    My procedure is to do a water change just before I go to bed and then give them a feeding to tide them over to morning. Some worms caught in the filter overnight is ok.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

[QUOTE=Fish rookie;256686]
    A friend of mine who knew nothing about fish saw my last batch of discus, which were always hiding and not doing much at all. When I showed her my new discus yesterday, her comment was "O..so discus do eat and move...I thought they never do...cool!"

My discus are showing a bit more interest in living. Perhaps they'll make it after all. If at fist you don't succeed try and try again. If fish eat then they are showing an interest in living.
    Last edited by Lamplighter; 09-11-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Aqua_Farm View Post
    My procedure is to do a water change just before I go to bed and then give them a feeding to tide them over to morning. Some worms caught in the filter overnight is ok.
    Thanks Rick.
    I will follow your instruction and keep up with the water changes.
    Thank you for all your help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Guru

Thanks Rick and "fish rookie" for the excellent thread. Just a couple of quick comments/suggestions.
    #1- I don't know if "fish rookie" is new to tropical fish or just new to discus. If you have raised other tropical fish, this is redundant, but if not, it is an important step in water changes.
    When I have young fish, I change large amounts of water daily as already suggested by Rick. I also rinse my filters every couple of days. When cleaning/rinsing your filters DO NOT RINSE YOUR FILTERS OR FILTER MEDIA IN TAP WATER.....It is VERY important to very simply rinse your filters in the water that you are extracting from the tank.....NOT new water !!
    #2- I always use bare-bottomed tank..another suggestion on Rick's list. But I do add either some potted plants or wood, or both...it seems to make the fish feel a bit more comfortable, rather than being in a stark empty tank.

Fish Rookie. If you want some more input on raising small fry...check out some of the threads on Rick's page from those of us who were fortunate to be included in Rick's grow-out contest

BTW.....I would be remiss if I didn't add that #1 on Rick's list is ESSENTIAL to ending up with good quality discus. Start with good fish, and if you follow the other eight guidelines, you have an excellent chance to end up with beautiful healthy fish. As you have already found out, Rick is at the top of the list as a local supplier of top quality discus. In addition, you will find, as several others of us have found, that Rick is always available and very helpful when seeking advice for raising and breeding your fish
    Last edited by guppygeorge; 09-11-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Fish rookie likes this.

Forum Snooper

I've always loved Discus and living in Maple Ridge... oh the temptation...

Douglas

Banned

Hmmm...not trying to temp you ...but I forgot to post a few pictures I took of Rick's discus tanks.
    By the way, none of these tanks had any filter, although they all look very clean.

Enjoy.
    guppygeorge likes this.

Forum Snooper

mutterssomethingaboutdirtylowdowntrickery

Forum Guru

Hmmm...not trying to temp you ...but I forgot to post a few pictures I took of Rick's discus tanks.
    By the way, none of these tanks had any filter, although they all look very clean.
    More great pics, "fish rookie". You "captured" my favourite fish in Rick's fishroom in the bottom photo....the Wild Soloman. It is one of the larger and more beautiful discus I have seen........unfortunately, Rick won't part with that fish

Banned

That fish is so very big. I could not believe my eyes when I first saw it.

By the way, just a quick update.

The fish are getting bigger. On their heads and fins they are starting to show some blue patterns and figures.

There was a little problem two days ago when some them looked a bit dark and did not seem as interested in eating. I PM Rick and very quickly he replied. He told me I was doing too much water changes. (I know it sounded silly but I was changing my water 6 times in a day). He recommended at least 1 water change daily, with 3 being the maximum. He told me discus need to recove from the water changes so I need to leave them alone for a while.

Rick also told me to let my water sit 5 minutes in the bucket before I pour it in to prevent the "air bubbles" from getting into the bodies of the discus. I did not know about that. On some fish I noticed a few tiny bubbles in the fins and tails--which was why they were a bit darker (note: I am happy to report that they are back to normal today).

I was a bit concerned about if shoudl add carbon in my water in case there was heavy metal and such. Rick also told me not to add carbon in the filter as discus do not like carbon.

I am going to stick with 2 water changes daily--50% in the morning, 90% in the evening. I have just made up a feeding schedule. I will feed every 2 hours, starting half an hour after the morning water change. That sould give me 7 feedings in a day, with black worms.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 09-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    guppygeorge likes this.

Forum Guru

There was a little problem two days ago when some them looked a bit dark and did not seem as interested in eating. I PM Rick and very quickly he replied. He told me I was doing too much water changes. (I know it sounded silly but I was changing my water 6 times in a day). He recommended at least 1 water change daily, with 3 being the maximum. He told me discus need to recove from the water changes so I need to leave them alone for a while.

Rick also told me to let my water sit 5 minutes in the bucket before I pour it in to prevent the "air bubbles" from getting into the bodies of the discus. I did not know about that. On some fish I noticed a few tiny bubbles in the fins and tails--which was why they were a bit darker (note: I am happy to report that they are back to normal today).

I was a bit concerned about if shoudl add carbon in my water in case there was heavy metal and such. Rick also told me not to add carbon in the filter as discus do not like carbon.

I am going to stick with 2 water changes daily--50% in the morning, 90% in the evening. I have just made up a feeding schedule. I will feed every 2 hours, starting half an hour after the morning water change. That sould give me 7 feedings in a day, with black worms.

Thank you.
    Your post is just confirmation of what I said in my earlier post. Rick not only sells you beautuiful fish, he is always available with valuable information His advice on water changes is right on. What you settled on.....50% a.m. and 90% p.m. is more than adequate. And your feeding "every two hours" is great. If you continue this regimen, you shold grow some amazing fish
    I currently have a tank of Rick's small fry......13 fry in a 20 gal tank. I change approx 80 % of the water daily. Like you, I am feeding several times a day, probably 6-8. I feed primarily the freeze dried blackworms, along with some newly hatched bbs and one feeding of turkey heart a day. Pretty much everytime I go into my fishroom I throw some of the fd blackworms in their tank. When I picked up the fish from Rick two weeks ago, they were approximately dime-size and today most of them are between a quarter and loonie size

Keep up the good work, and keep us informed

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast