Killer Clown Loaches
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Guy

Killer Clown Loaches

This is a discussion on Killer Clown Loaches within the Catfishes forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; Looking for some advice here.... I have a 210g with 20 Clowns ranging from 2"-5" The tank also contains .... ...

DefaultKiller Clown Loaches

Looking for some advice here....
    I have a 210g with 20 Clowns ranging from 2"-5"
    The tank also contains ....
    4 Vieja Argentea 5"
    3 Vieja Synspilum 4'
    13 Silver dollars
    40 Sterbai corys
    1 Electric Blue acara 4"
    Various plecos

So I have been losing some smaller fish lately, and only at night. Started with a couple of corys, and then a couple of Gobies and then a couple of plecos.

I have not seen any aggression from the usual culprits (Cichlids). I was wondering since it only happens at night and the most nocturnal of the bunch is the Loaches, is it possible they are ganging up on some fish and killing them? Has anyone had any problems with Clowns being violent.

I am planning a change and want to put 10 Panda Uaru and 6 Geo together in a tank with the Clowns but not if there is even a possibility of problems.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

My clown loaches were opportunists. I don't think they ever killed, but one by one they started plucking out the eyes of my sterbai corydoras. The corys are so docile and the clowns are swift. They are the first ones on any fish that died, I don't even have a chance to net them out the next day - just the skeletal remains. So...I wouldn't put it past them.

Wow your tank seems very populated with over eighty fish, what are you using for filtration and how often do you do water changes and what's your water chemistry levels? With that many fish your going to have a lot of waste and have to keep a close eye on your levels. I've kept many clown loaches over the years in groups up to 12 with no signs of aggression towards other fish at all, snails a different story they love to eat them and I could often hear them clicking in the evening with the lights off while chowing down.
    mikebike likes this.
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    Wow your tank seems very populated with over eighty fish, what are you using for filtration and how often do you do water changes and what's your water chemistry levels? With that many fish your going to have a lot of waste and have to keep a close eye on your levels. I've kept many clown loaches over the years in groups up to 12 with no signs of aggression towards other fish at all, snails a different story they love to eat them and I could often hear them clicking in the evening with the lights off while chowing down.
    Totally agreed. I kept large group(12) large clown loaches(up to 8") in my 210G monster with all monsters for years & they have never killed any others, but quite aggressive at meal times. I have never kept corys with monster fish unless they are hugh. I never trust the Viejas because I have seen them killed & attacked Oscars at their same sizes or bigger.

mine never showed aggression and they were huge and capable of it ... seems very out of character for loaches to kill ? i have seen them snack on other dead fish but never kill.. sorry i couldn't be more help hope you figure this out soon buds

cheers

I have 30 clowns loaches all ranging from 3" to 8" plus 6 electric blue arcaras ive had them with baby tetras that were half an inch with no issue. I have them currently with a cory and a few 1" rare plecos and never had a problem. Even had a baby rainbows no issues at all they are now 4".

Its not the acaras or the clowns at all they are very peaceful.