My Gulper Catfish Expelled His Swim Bladder !! - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Gulper Catfish Expelled His Swim Bladder !!

This is a discussion on My Gulper Catfish Expelled His Swim Bladder !! within the Catfishes forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; It was really crazy when it happened! My teenage son had friends over & they were creeped out about what ...

It was really crazy when it happened! My teenage son had friends over & they were creeped out about what was happening with the fish.

The Gulper is about 6-7" long and his swim bladder kept changing size while it was out. At the biggest is was probably sticking out almost 1-1.5" out of his mouth.
    Last edited by Pamela; 04-15-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: correction

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Grrrr ...I just went downstairs & the Gulpers swim bladder is out again !!

I'm just going to leave him alone & hope that he gets it back in again by himself.

So the Gulper managed to get his swim bladder back in after a few minutes last night. The Gulper was fine when I checked on him first thing this morning, but unfortunately his swim bladder is out again now. The Gulper isn't panicking so much when it's out anymore, but he does look very uncomfortable.

I'm really confused why this is happening. One thing I've noticed is that the Gulper's body has stayed puffed up since this first started (Gulpers can puff up kind of like pufferfish).

Edit:

The Gulper got his swim bladder back inside again. His body is puffed up & his colour is pale. I think that I'm going to try to 'burp' him while his swim bladder is on his insides. I'm going to gently massage his belly in the hope that it will push out some of the air that he's retaining.

I'm not going to try it yet, but another possible option that I read online is to manually push his swim bladder all the way back into his insides with a tube. I'm fearful that doing this could do more harm than good though.

Does anybody else have any suggestions? If I had known that this was going to be an ongoing issue I would have posted in the hospital section instead.
    Last edited by Pamela; 04-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Gosh, reading this raises my blood pressure. GOOD LUCK.
    Thanks for all the kindness exhibited by BCA members.

I had a bad feeling it was going to be on-going, as the cause of it wasn't known.

I don't know anything about fish anatomy, but if the swim bladder is as tough as stomach lining, it can be surprisingly strong.

If I were You I'd let nature take it's course,I wouldn't stress the Fish out anymore by massaging or pushing back in,that may just make it worse. Maybe if it had a Very Large Meal it would help in keeping it down?

I tried 'burping' him earlier & it didn't work.

The tank has feeders in it, so the Gulper could eat if he wanted too. I think it highly unlikely that he would eat at this point in time though because he's too stressed.

The Gulper is hanging out at the water surface, which Gulpers never do ...not a good sign .

That sucks to hear Pamela. Really wish I could help out here. I had a feeling it wasn't over. Hoping for the best for the lil fella

Quote Originally Posted by Diztrbd1 View Post
    That sucks to hear Pamela. Really wish I could help out here. I had a feeling it wasn't over. Hoping for the best for the lil fella
    Thanks John!

The swim bladder is out again right now. I just don't know what I should do in this situation. Do I leave him alone & hope for the best? Or should I try shoving the bladder all the way back inside with an airline tube? If the bladder gets ripped it will be the kiss of death for the Gulper.

I would feel the same way you do about doing that. might cause more harm than good.I wonder if posting this on PlanetCatfish might help get some useful help. I'm not a member there myself but couldn't hurt to try it out

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast