Annoyed
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Annoyed

This is a discussion on Annoyed within the Classified Archive forums, part of the Classified Section category; Perhaps i'm gonna get kicked off this forum but i feel that i've been let down. If this Craigslist and ...

Forum Newbie

Default Annoyed

Perhaps i'm gonna get kicked off this forum but i feel that i've been let down. If this Craigslist and anything goes, then so be it. To be honest, i was expecting better from the members here. I'm only a recent addition member BCA and overall I feel there definitely a sense of community. However in the short time i've been here i've been let down by members who were not straight enough to admit that they got a better deal. How is it that with 2 transactions, i've been told that 1) my brother wants it so the deal is off and 2) i'll offer you this in one correspondence and in the second correspondence, sorry i miss led you. I won't publically acknowledge members (but you know who you are) since perhaps this is all on my side, but i feel that i don't think so. Can some confirm that this forum is respectful in the dealings or confirm that is just another craigslist???? On the flip side, i've had some great deals (e.g. battmahn) and an agreement is an agreement but i feel that perhaps it is more craigslist and a real aquarium community. I'm very new to the aquarium scene and I know that all this is buyer beware, but really???

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Dou

I understand your frustration but... things happen and people change their minds all the time. You should just not expect anything until you actually exchange for it. Also, I would say it's quite easy to weed out the people who are being serious and those who are just lollygagging. Just examine their post - did they type in full sentences? Did they post a photo? Did they make an effort to be easily reached? Do they seem like they care about what they've got or do they just want to sell it and make a quick buck? If the person seems like they don't really care - chances are that they actually don't and consequently whoever hands them cash first will get whatever they've got. Like any community, it can be good and bad. It's really more who you associate yourself with - everyone I've been in regular contact with has been extremely nice and respectful.
    mikebike, The Guy, kf3506 and 4 others like this.

I feel honoured that you mentioned me! Its funny that I was just chatting with some BCAquaria friends recently about people I have had good experiences with and I mentioned that I had a great experience with both you and Droop. Unfortunately we also talked about bad experiences with certain members being jerks or lying about not knowing the price of the moss I was selling to try to get a deal.

I hope you end up having better experiences in the future. It would be a shame to lose good members on this forum. I also hope that these poor transactions were honest mistakes (I've had a few crappy transactions come from my end as well).

If you ever need anything feel free to text or pm me anytime and I will try my best to help.
    Last edited by battmanh; 06-25-2016 at 01:30 AM.
    mrbob, Droop, Jousters and 3 others like this.
    Apparent "SJW for the aquarist that can't travel or doesn't want to." Fighting for your right to ask for delivery since 2016!

ADA 45P Shrimp & Buce Tank
    ADA 60P High Tech Planted - Addicted to Stems!
    ADA 90P CAF Discus Grow Out Contest

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Sometimes things just don't work out, sometimes people change their minds, and sometimes they get a better offer from someone else. Really, it's their perogative to whom and how they choose to sell their items. Nothing we buyers can do but make a mental note and move on. Like any group, there are the bad apples, but as Dou mentioned, with experience you'll learn to identify the time wasters and pass them over.

As a seller, I've dealt with the flakes, the "do you deliver"s, the "can you give this to me half off"s, and other equally exasperating buyers, but these kinds of people exist in all public spheres. Once I've dealt with these types, I remember and avoid them evermore in the future. You'll see that they tend to acquire a reputation here and we have excellent memories. Once you've been on this forum long enough, you will come to know which members are solid, as you've already started to do.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by liquid_krystale; 06-25-2016 at 02:09 AM.
    barvinok, Reckon, battmanh and 2 others like this.
    Taking a break

Mr Know It all
    4097 Hastings st. Burnaby bc Aprils aquarium

Isn't there still a feedback section?
    I get the same thing as a retailer...I do give deals to reasonable people and customers who don't ask but the more they try ask or rather beg...it does t help their case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not had any bad experiences on this site and have made many friends.I do look at the buyers profile and am very familiar with our members.I buy from Craigslist as well but feel more comfortable on this site for I do not know who the seller on Craigslist is.Sorry for your bad experience but I can ensure there are more good members here than bad.
    The Guy and Sean's Ponds like this.
    75 gallon planted community tank
    25 gallon planted,dwarf chiclids,pencil fish,tetras
    16 gallon Bushynose Pleco
    Aquastyle 9 planted shrimp
    6 gallon Starphire
    Aqueoun 8 cube shrimp tank
    7 gallon bow front shrimp tank
    Top fin 3 gallon shrimp tank
    Mr Aqua 12 planted tank
    Aqueoun 2 shrimp tank
    Top fin 5 gallon shrimp tank

This is a free forum so unfortunately there will be people who join only to take advantage of this community's classifieds. Like April said you can check the feedback section in the buyer/seller profile to see what their sale history looks like. You can also look at the number of posts they've made to see how involved/committed they've been with this community. You may find that dealings with these members may be more smooth. I personally don't see any issue if someone pulls the sale off the table because they tell you a family member wants the item. Give them the benefit of doubt, they may actually be telling you THE TRUTH! I think you would do the same thing for someone you care about. It's disappointing but move on. If you really have an unpleasant transaction, you can leave negative feedback or communicate to a mod.
    Don't be discouraged. In my time here I would say that I've had 90% good experiences with transactions in BCA.
    I encourage you to continue to be involved in BCA, feel free to chime in on other people's posts, answer questions, ask questions etc. I noticed this is the first non FS/LF related thread you've made. It's a good start...
    Last edited by Reckon; 06-25-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    5gal ADA Mini M low tech: Weeping moss and Taiwan Bees
    50gal high tech planted: Ember Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Otos

Oooh I get it: Boy fish + Girl fish = Fry + MTS
    Plants are pretty + Various Species = Aquascaped MTS

Forum Newbie

Thanks Reckon, Jousters, April, liquid_krystale, battmahn, and Dou for taking the time to respond to my initial post. Your thoughts are appreciated. It came out as a bit of a rant but the intention was really to try to remind the community (me included) that to make the forum a good place to visit we should be reminded of values such as integrity and "gentleman/gentlewoman" agreements.

I do want to add that my experiences with the good have by far outweighed the poor ones.

Mr Know It all
    4097 Hastings st. Burnaby bc Aprils aquarium

Great. I always enjoy meeting members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean's Ponds likes this.

Forum Snooper

Default No Doubt About it -- Classified Ads are a Minefield

Yes, when you post a classified ad, there are always more than a few Gumbys scattered among the legitimate responders. My favourites are the ones who write back with a few questions, all of which you answer positively:

"Is it the blue one?"
    "Yes," I say.
    "Is it in good condition?"
    "Excellent condition."
    "Are you willing to come down on your price?"
    "A little."
    "Would you take $35.00. . . ?"
    "Okay."

Never hear from them again. I guess they were looking for more of a challenge.

Then there's the guy who comes over, looks at whatever you're selling, then says:

Potential Buyer: "There's another guy selling one of these for half of what you're asking. Just saying."
    Me: "And the reason you're not in his living room pawing his stuff like a mongoloid racoon at this moment is. . . ?"

Of course, the sellers can be equally exasperating. My favourites are the ones selling some oddball collection of items which they refuse to part out. "I'm selling an algae scraper, an Eheim 200 watt heater, half a container of TetraMin fish food and a 1937 International Harvester Model HB-200 Hay Bailer which needs a drive belt. Will only sell as a set."

As if there exists on earth some person who needs this particular exact and weird combination of items.

Another of my favourites:

"Complete 200-Gallon Aquarium Setup With Stand. $1100. Leaving Town. Must Sell By Sunday!"

I guess they were hoping that someone out there browsing Craigslist would see the ad and think, "Gosh, I don't really need an aquarium but. . . Damnit, this poor bastard must sell his aquarium. Better get over there with my wallet as soon as I can. Come to think of it, if I head straight to the airport, maybe I can catch him before his flight takes off!" When the more likely response is something like, "Thanks for letting me know you're desperate. That should help when it comes time to dicker over the price."
    hp10BII, Dietmar and greatdanes like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast