LF: Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Diztrbd1

LF: Malaysian Trumpet Snails

This is a discussion on LF: Malaysian Trumpet Snails within the Classified Archive forums, part of the Classified Section category; I'm hoping someone may have a bunch of them that they would be willing to part with. I would rather ...

Default LF: Malaysian Trumpet Snails

I'm hoping someone may have a bunch of them that they would be willing to part with. I would rather not pay too much since I have heard they breed like crazy and aren't hard to come by, but I would be ok paying a bit. That, or I could trade for plants.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Guru

They sure do breed like crazy. I,somehow,got a couple in my Cichlid tank and after a couple of months had hundreds.They should be called cockroach snails.Aparently they like hard water,hence the explosion in my tank.If you want I can put them aside instead of killing them. I'll let you know when I have a few to give.
    Lukasz
    135 gallon African tank
    Tropheus (red rainbow) Kasanga,Blockheads ,Gold calvus,white Calvus,Inkfin Compressiceps,Black Nangu calvus,Goldhead Compressiceps,Feather fins,Clown loaches and Petricolas.

20 gallon Grow out tank
    Calvus and Petricolas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    They sure do breed like crazy. I,somehow,got a couple in my Cichlid tank and after a couple of months had hundreds.They should be called cockroach snails.Aparently they like hard water,hence the explosion in my tank.If you want I can put them aside instead of killing them. I'll let you know when I have a few to give.
    Thanks, I appreciate it! I may be making a trip out to Burnaby this weekend and could swing by if you have some right now, but if not let me know Do you ever happen to head towards Vancouver?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    hahaha cockroach snails.....no kidding !! I some how acquired them in my 50 then my 75. I rarely see them as they stay in the substrate, which is apparently why the survive so well. I never even knew I had em at first and I noticed a couple barely buried one morning. Pulled up a handful of my gravel and probably 50 in that lol I drained the tank (50 at the time) and I spent almost a couple hours digging thru the gravel picking them out by hand....was probably 300 or 400 or more that I got out. Needless to say they were not all gone lol I see they have made it to the 75 now, but I don't mind as I don't see them and the keep they playsand aerated . But yea like cockroaches is right! lol If you are ever at IPU in Burnaby, ask them as I know Grants always walking around and plucking them out of their tanks lol

I didn't realize people disliked them so much! I want some because I have sand and I like the idea of it being aerated not to mention they apparently do a good job of cleaning up and keeping things tidy looking. Also, supposedly they aren't easy to see except at night so they don't look bad...

Is there something bad about them that I am totally missing?! lol

they are fine for everything you listed. Just when you try to be snail free and think you are but find out you actually have 1000 or so living in the substrate..... it comes as a bit of a shock lol They do and will populate quickly, not sure if they ever stop but if my sand seems to be an inch higher over time ..I'll let ya know lol They will do fine for what you want though