Need help bending a curve on acrylic plastic
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Foxtail

Need help bending a curve on acrylic plastic

This is a discussion on Need help bending a curve on acrylic plastic within the DIY Area forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I need to bend a 180 degree curve on a piece of black acrylic thats 1/4" thick x 4" wide ...

QuestionNeed help bending a curve on acrylic plastic

I need to bend a 180 degree curve on a piece of black acrylic thats 1/4" thick x 4" wide x 18" in diameter half circle. Anyone out there know how to do this?
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Well I am guessing you need a heat gun. and something thats round with close to the diameter. Heat the acrylic with a heat gun as it you were blowdrying it. When it starts to soften bend it around whatever you found as the circular abject and keep heating till you have achieved your curved piece and then let cool. Basically the same thing Mike did here on this particular post: https://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-...tml#post194338 Hope I'm somewhat correct and this was helpful lol

I remember in high school doing acrylic work we used an oven (cookie sheet and wax paper) to heat it up to bend it. I just do not remember how hot the oven was. I would guess in the 200's just enough to soften it up. As John said you will need a form to bend it around. Good luck with this project.
    10G Shrimp Tank. (RCS & Yellows) BNP's.
    20G creamsicle lyretail mollies,Sword-tails.
    90G 12+ Assorted BNP's, 1 Flower-horn,6 Rotkiel Sevrums & 4 short bodied Pearl-scale cichlids.
    135G 10 regular pearlscale cichlids, 3 salvini cichlid,1 Jaguar cichlid,1 Green terror,1 Jack Dempsey,2 Blood Parrots & a High fin spotted pleco.
    27G Discus 1 Red Melon & 2 Refraction D Crosses.

240th near Dewdney trunk rd
    East Maple Ridge

Paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

You can use a toaster oven but you have to be careful, put a towel on top lay the acrylic on top and open the door half inch or so. If you get it too hot it sags not hot enough and it'll crack... I take no responsibility if you burn your house down.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2
    hd3dd likes this.

Banned

[email protected] i take no responsibility if you burn your house down...\

heat gun and use a curved surface i e coffee can to start your curve

Forum Snooper

I used to bend plexiglass over an electric stove element. You hold it over the hot element until it softens up, bend it to the shape you want, then remove it from the heat and keep whatever force is necessary on the plastic to hold the shape until it cools again--at which point it should retain whatever curves you have put into it. You may have to over bend a little bit as it tends to "spring back" a little towards its original shape unless you heat it up to quite a high temperature. The idea of using a form of some sort seems like a good idea to me, too.

Thanks everyone for all tips, now I just got to find a heat gun and make a plywood form up.
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

Mr Know It all

It really depends on precise you want that "half-circle". If precise, you will need a jig or a mould. Heat gun and something to hold its shape while it cools. Remember it always want to spring back as well.

Not sure what you are looking for. Could consider cutting a 4" strip off a bucket.