Canister filter debate
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Canister filter debate

This is a discussion on Canister filter debate within the Equipment Talk Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Over the course of the time I have been here, there have been multiple threads regarding canister filters. To each ...

Default Canister filter debate

Over the course of the time I have been here, there have been multiple threads regarding canister filters.
    To each one's experiences with certain brands this is what I have gathered so far......
    Eheim, premium filter but may have problem obtaining parts.
    Fluval, Excellent filter with minimal problems.
    Aqua Nova, a good reliable filter with parts readily available.
    There may be more, please chime in and give some feedback.
    I personally have an Eheim as advised by my friend to buy. I have no regrets so far and my fish are happy.
    I am in the stages now to set up a tank for my brother and I am leaning on going for the best bang for the buck. I am leaning on the Fluval FX5 going for $250.00 ........I think the top Aqua Nova is going for $200.00
    Is there a $50.00 difference between the two? Which one do you think will last longer?
    20G community baby plecos, Endlers, Amanos, Red Cherries, 2 baby Panda corys.
    55g temporary community, large pleco,BNP's, congo tetras, 4 Balas, Lemon Tetras,
    Setting up 80g community
    Future wish list... Torpedo Barbs, Corys and more loaches.----oops, just read about Clowns picking on Corys-----

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Mr Know It all

with all honesty i will say any guess on how a filter will last is pretty ball park considering ALL the major brands you mentioned (even Rena's). Just remember one key point, those who have issues are far more louder than those who don't. Also take into account that the extra peace of mind the more premium models offer tends to be very over valued money wise, that is why the aquanovas are getting so popular.
    33G Reef || 20G Chain Loach Tank || 9.8G Twin Tanks || 2.5G Nano Tank
    Neven's Planted Addiction
    Neven's 33G Reef!

Banned

IPU is having a boxing week sales on their filter, are they?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

taken into consideration of water bypass. Eheim's design has the least water bypass. Even their connecting intake tube has o-rings on them.

Another things to consider, say XP4 which has 4 trays. It really has 3 as one of the tray must use for sponges. Compare that to eheim, which it is 4 trays, it is really 4 trays for bio-media as the sponge section is separated.

Then you have to look at how water flows into each filter to determine which is better in your own opinion. top down, from the side, bottom up, etc...

It is really not that difficult to get parts for Eheim. I have no problem on getting any parts as I service lots of eheim filters.

well, the eheim right now is at least 2 bills more. its down to the FX5 or the top AquaNova.
    I'll be running a canister plus a big hob filter.
    20G community baby plecos, Endlers, Amanos, Red Cherries, 2 baby Panda corys.
    55g temporary community, large pleco,BNP's, congo tetras, 4 Balas, Lemon Tetras,
    Setting up 80g community
    Future wish list... Torpedo Barbs, Corys and more loaches.----oops, just read about Clowns picking on Corys-----

Forum Snooper

Have u tried j and l aquatics for ehiem. They have best prices around on filters I think. Ecco are really cheap. I would pay more and get a pro 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerOscar View Post
    I'll be running a canister plus a big hob filter.
    I've been running an FX5 on my 112 gallon tank for 3 or 4 years. It's been a great filter, I've never had any problems with it. Some people say that FX5's are noisy but mine is inside a cabinet style stand and noise isn't an issue.

What size tank are you planning on using the filter for? Depending on your tank size you may not even need the HOB. You could instead add a powerhead or 2 (I use Koralia's). I use one powerhead placed near the top of the tank angled upwards for surface water movement and a 2nd powerhead placed lower down to help push debris towards the filter intake tube.

Ive had an FX5 for 8 months and so far I like it. It is a little on the heavy side when its full of water and bio media. So the walk from the tank to the sink can be tough for a wimp. LOL. I like how the outake has 2 heads coming off and you can angle where you want them to shoot. Its holds a ton of bio media. I paid $250and I think it was well worth it. I dont run polishing pads in it. They get dirty really fast and slow down the water movement. Running a HOB aswell is a good idea. If you want to polish the water add filter floss to the HOB. Much easier to clean the HOB every couple of weeks than the FX5. I seem to always make a mess when I clean my FX5 compared to my other canisters. The trays are really big and seem to drip water everywhere. Ive never owned an aquanova or Eheim so I cant compare.
    Last edited by jbyoung00008; 12-31-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    210g African dream tank up and running!!!!!! No more 120g

My 120 gallon African Cichlid tank build

**AFRICAN CICHLID VIDEO 22 months after setup**

My 25 gallon CO2 injected planted tank evolutiuon

33g African grow out tank

5.5g African grow out tank

26g Angel fish, black tetra, rummy nose tank @ my moms

Coming soon 210g African display tank

my wallet just voted eheim over the holidays... and im not sure about the hard to find parts part - at the store they said eheim was easiest to find parts since they dont change their models every couple years like some of the other companies do. eheim classics have had very little change over many years.
    bonsai dave and hp10BII like this.

Mr Know It all

Quote Originally Posted by Mferko View Post
    my wallet just voted eheim over the holidays... and im not sure about the hard to find parts part - at the store they said eheim was easiest to find parts since they dont change their models every couple years like some of the other companies do. eheim classics have had very little change over many years.
    I agree. And from what I've experienced Eheim service is fantastic. I had a problem on my 2075 and within a week of my email I had the part delivered to my house free of charge.
    bonsai dave, hp10BII and Elle like this.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    54g Rainbows and Rasboras
    100g Cube Discus Playground

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast