Marineland LED light
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Marineland LED light

This is a discussion on Marineland LED light within the Equipment Talk Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I just picked up a marineland 24-36" light. I don't like it on my 24x12x10 tank though. My tank is ...

Forum Resident

Default Marineland LED light

I just picked up a marineland 24-36" light. I don't like it on my 24x12x10 tank though. My tank is too short, the light doesnt cover the whole footprint.

I put it on my 20g long (30x12x?) and it works well because half the tank is covered by a foam background.

I also tried it on my 90g (48x18x27) and the tank is too high, the fixture isn't bright enough to cover the bottom.

In my short time with it I think the best depth for the tank is about 24". This lets the light cover the footprint of the tank. I also don't think that it will grow plants well because it is nowhere near the brightness of a T5HO. You have to have a tank that suits the light or try it out before you get it if you can. Some will like it and some won't.

I'll be using this on my 20g long though because it lights it up pretty well.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the fixture because its energy efficient and that it makes a shimmer effect. I'll get another one if I have a tank that suits it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Mr Know It all

Thanks for the review Jeff. I really wanted to try these before but you've confirmed my suspicions. It's a nice unit but the light coverage isn't ideal for tanks deeper than 18". In fact, I think 12" depth is best for these lights...and maybe about 20" high.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    54g Rainbows and Rasboras
    100g Cube Discus Playground

Forum Resident

12" is too short unless the tank isn't very deep. At 12" high, the light doesnt cover a 12" deep tank. I think between 18" and 24" height will be best.

The ideal tank dimensions are a height between 18-24" and a depth of 12-18". Length of the tank is dependent on the light fixture.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the review.

Just curious, did you consider the Aquaray Grobeam LED's? I admit, the Marineland fixture looks nicer, but specs on the Grobeam appears to pack more juice.

Forum Resident

The spectrum on the grobeam500 is sort of off for planted tank. There is not a lot of red spectrum.. if any. 530-570 nm range.

Problem with LED or with the current aquarium system is 1 to 2 rows of light. LED are spot light. To cover the tank properly, there need to be multiple rows of light or you will get a lot of shading or the funny circle spot effect.

It works perfectly on my ADA 60-P tank(24").

I was soooo tempted to purchase the last 48 dbl brt at JL yesterday but managed to hold off. Been thinking, since the dbl brt's are not enough light or led's, what do you guys think of using the reef ready version? Is that going to be too much light? JL didn't have any larger reef led's but IPU has a 36-48, but that will cost almost $500 less whatever boxing week discount. With 50,000 hrs lifespan at 10 hrs a day, that's over 13 1/2 years of no bulb replacement and lower electric bills. Just trying to do some justifications here. What do you guys think? Thanks, Luis
    Plecoholics Anonymous Member #7
    150G Super Community

Forum Resident

I'd give the reef one a try. Just make sure you can return it if it doesn't work out. I know J&L doesn't hassle you for returns but I've had bad experiences with IPU for exchange/returns.

I'd go for it and post some results. I've read some other forums saying that the reef one can grow some soft corals so it should be able to do plants as well.

Sounds like it might work in my 125 which is 22 inches tall (about 20 inches to the substrate) and the tank is only 18 wide with most of the plants in the center. I might have to check a unit out.
    My 100 gallon square tank
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    Saving the world from being plecoless, one at a time....
    No more sig pics

The LED marineland doublebright lighting is good a esthetically. it does provide a spotlighing effect  on a shallow fish tank like a 12" high. I tried i t out on a 30 gallon 18" in the lighting is spread out a big. it dispurso es the output of the light  better. i think it would be good for non-planted p lants such as african cichlids. 

there hasn't been much discussion of this product.  we should try to continue our product review of t his LED system.