Moving large tank
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Moving large tank

This is a discussion on Moving large tank within the Equipment Talk Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Hi All, My first post in years. Hope all is well with all the fellow hobbyists. For those who have ...

Default Moving large tank

Hi All,

My first post in years. Hope all is well with all the fellow hobbyists.

For those who have experience in moving large tanks.. Are there any moving companies that specialize in such service? The tank in question is about 7'x2'x2' and I just needed it moved from the garage into the living room. The stand is the same dimension.

I have contacted a couple of moving companies and unfortunately they were not comfortable in moving larger tanks.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Stay safe everyone!

Cheers,

Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

I think any company that would move a piano would be able to move a large fish tank...

It's actually harder to find the movers that will take on the job than previously thought.

I have contacted 4 places so far. 2 companies already turned down the job and the other 2 didn't even reply.

Quote Originally Posted by kivyee View Post
    I think any company that would move a piano would be able to move a large fish tank...

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I'm sure they are all "able" to, they just didn't "want" to take on the job for some reasons. 😭

Quote Originally Posted by kivyee View Post

Forum Novice

Yeah, could just be something that they are unfamiliar with - I have dealt with Bill at Mighty Movers to move a piano - he was pretty decent to deal with. https://www.themightymovers.com/ if you want to give them a try.

Forum Resident

Do you have 4 strong friends? Is there room to move, tank and two people abreast? With one more friend, you could relay when going through a doorway.
    I moved a 120 gal with just one other person. Of course, that was 5 yrs ago.

Forum Addicted
    Vancouver/Strathcona - I have my travel bubble

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
    It's actually harder to find the movers that will take on the job than previously thought.

I have contacted 4 places so far. 2 companies already turned down the job and the other 2 didn't even reply.
    Maybe pick a moving period that isn't a 'peak period' when they are busy like the middle or the end of the month. I have moved twice with my 210 gallon tank and both times, the movers were okay moving the tank and stand including down multiple flights of stairs

Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar View Post
    Do you have 4 strong friends? Is there room to move, tank and two people abreast? With one more friend, you could relay when going through a doorway.
    I moved a 120 gal with just one other person. Of course, that was 5 yrs ago.
    Everything was easier 5 years ago, I always had lots of follow hobbyist that would help out with a move too. During this pandemic might be a little harder. Merry Christmas & Happy New year to all my fishy friends on the coast.
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

Forum Resident

Speak to Eric over at Fish Addicts. He has someone he recommends for moving big tanks

Good luck!

(If by chance your garage and living room are on the same level - you can build a dolly and it only takes 2 people to move the tank) I went through this exercise years ago to move a 210 and 180g (stand and all)
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"
    120G South American - Discus, Neon Tetras, Rummy nose tetras, Yoyo loach and low tech plants