UV sterilizers. What brands are people using? - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

UV sterilizers. What brands are people using?

This is a discussion on UV sterilizers. What brands are people using? within the Equipment Talk Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I believe that most pond UV's were designed with flow rates that were most effective for eliminating green water, not ...

Mr Know It all

I believe that most pond UV's were designed with flow rates that were most effective for eliminating green water, not so much the killing of parasites. I could be wrong, but that's what I've been told. Pretty good info on this site: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ilization.html
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    54g Rainbows and Rasboras
    100g Cube Discus Playground

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

. J&l sells the coralife for $117 seems like a fair price. I know the lagunas are more expensive.
    $117 sounds like a good price, but check the tank size it is rated for. it might not be enough for 125g i know the 9 watt green killing machine is only god for 50g. Cheers
    55g, In the Wall, Planted, 2 Blue Turk Discus, 1 yellow pigeon Discus, 1 pigeon cross Discus, Rams, Red Eye Balloon Tetras, Corydoras, Silvertip, Bn Pleco's, Flying Fox.
    40g, Long, Discus Grow Out Tank.
    20g, Planted, Electric Blue Balloon ram, trying to bread
    20g, Discus, Brilliant Turk, Eruption Leopard, trying to bread
    5g, Nano, Planted, Blueberry, Tiger, Painted Fire Red Shrimp.
    - 4'x3'x18" Water Dragon Terrarium.

PLECOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEMBER #34
    Discus Domain Member #1

Quote Originally Posted by tony1928 View Post
    I believe that most pond UV's were designed with flow rates that were most effective for eliminating green water, not so much the killing of parasites. I could be wrong, but that's what I've been told. Pretty good info on this site: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ilization.html
    Yes they are designed for green water but at huge flow rates. all that matters is the exposure time and the gallons per hour. here is a bit from that link. good link by the way. Cheers

WHAT SIZE UV IS BEST?

For sterilization (level 1) you want 20-25 gph per watt and an aquarium turnover rate of 1-1/2 times per hour (recommended minimum).

Example: In this example I will use a 100 gallon aquarium;
    *For Clarification (Green Water Control; generally the most common application in ponds) you would need a flow rate of 40-50 gph and a turnover of aquarium/pond water through the UV of once per 2-3 hours. So as a minimum you would need a flow rate of 50 gph (assuming once per 2 hours in water turnover). At 50 gph (for turnover) the smallest UV available is a 5 Watt which can have a flow rate up to 250 gph for clarification.
    55g, In the Wall, Planted, 2 Blue Turk Discus, 1 yellow pigeon Discus, 1 pigeon cross Discus, Rams, Red Eye Balloon Tetras, Corydoras, Silvertip, Bn Pleco's, Flying Fox.
    40g, Long, Discus Grow Out Tank.
    20g, Planted, Electric Blue Balloon ram, trying to bread
    20g, Discus, Brilliant Turk, Eruption Leopard, trying to bread
    5g, Nano, Planted, Blueberry, Tiger, Painted Fire Red Shrimp.
    - 4'x3'x18" Water Dragon Terrarium.

PLECOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEMBER #34
    Discus Domain Member #1

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Scherb View Post
    Yes they are designed for green water but at huge flow rates. all that matters is the exposure time and the gallons per hour. here is a bit from that link. good link by the way.
    The flow rate is only one factor which designs dwell time. Water clarity and the way the flow is designed is another. Reducing the flow significantly in a large UV could cause air entrapment and cavitation inside, resulting in ineffective UV light penetration. Properly designed units mated with the properly flow rate and induce smooth (emulating laminar) flow which would allow the unit to work with the highest efficiency. A lot of units overcome this with more wattage, which is ok as long as you don't care about the power usage (it's on 24/7) or the cost of the replacement bulbs.
    My 100 gallon square tank
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    Saving the world from being plecoless, one at a time....
    No more sig pics

Quote Originally Posted by tony1928 View Post
    I've been using Emperor Aquatics which I know is a long trusted brand in the UV business. The other one that I've been trying lately is from TMC. TMC makes the Aquaray LED's. I think they are a Euro brand which is gaining popularity here. Here's a link: Aquatic Eco-Systems: Aquarium Supplies - TMC Vecton UV Sterilizers
    Where did you buy your TMC unit?

I'm using a Pentair Lifegard Aquastep, not happy with the build quality. It does the job, but smaller plastic parts have broken off/disintegrated and had to repair a leak last year - not what you want with a UV unit. I hooked it up to a Maxi-jet 900 powerhead. I like a unit that is portable, so I can move it from tank to tank.

Mr Know It all

Online via that link I provided above. Shipped to Blaine and picked up there.

Quote Originally Posted by hp10BII View Post
    Where did you buy your TMC unit?

I'm using a Pentair Lifegard Aquastep, not happy with the build quality. It does the job, but smaller plastic parts have broken off/disintegrated and had to repair a leak last year - not what you want with a UV unit. I hooked it up to a Maxi-jet 900 powerhead. I like a unit that is portable, so I can move it from tank to tank.
    hp10BII likes this.

I just recently had a major green water bloom in my 29G. I ended up buying a 9W Green Killing Machine off the internet for $40. Best $40 I ever spent! I can't even begin to describe how happy I am with the results. Below are before and after pictures. The second picture was taken after just one night of running the sterilizer.

Before:

After one night:
    IMG_0435.JPG

Cant even tell that its the same tank. ZGlad it worked for you. Now you can enjoy your tank again

Lets bump this up.

My Laguna 1800 16W had a coronary early this morning. The plastic housing appears to have eroded, good size hole and water leak. It's out, it has served it's purpose going back to when I initially added Clown loaches.

Tony, I think I am going to go TMC, are you still happy with yours?
    135g- African Cichlids, and Plecos

https://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-...venture-21703/

Plecoholics Anonymous Member #18

Mr Know It all

Quote Originally Posted by mdwflyer View Post
    Lets bump this up.

My Laguna 1800 16W had a coronary early this morning. The plastic housing appears to have eroded, good size hole and water leak. It's out, it has served it's purpose going back to when I initially added Clown loaches.

Tony, I think I am going to go TMC, are you still happy with yours?
    Yup still working fine. No issues whatsoever since installation. Going to have to look into picking up a replacement bulb so I'm ready in about 6 months. One of the big reasons is also cheap bulbs too. 20 bucks. Check out American aquarium products for info. However I did buy it via the link above. For a large volume tank I would still stick with Emperor Aquatics. But they are huge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast