Whole fishroom heating
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Whole fishroom heating

This is a discussion on Whole fishroom heating within the Equipment Talk Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Wonder if anyone has experience using a heater to warm up whole fishroom instead individal heaters ? want to know ...

Forum Resident

Default Whole fishroom heating

Wonder if anyone has experience using a heater to warm up whole fishroom instead individal heaters ?

want to know what the good and bad thing about it ? will have lots energy cut ? can anybody suggest what types of heater is good for doing this.

thanks alot
    eric

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

more info needed are all your tanks plumbed together?
    500 gallon plywood tank
    230 motor stingray breeding tank. led lighting, dual sump sump,and drip system
    150 gallon saltwater mixed reef.
    150 gallon African cichlid
    90 gallon fahaka puffer tank
    75 gallon flowerhorn tank
    55 gallon axolotle tank
    loads of guppies and shrimp tanks

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Its what a lot of breeders do. Once you get above a certain number of tanks (each with 100w+ of heaters, it makes more financial sense to heat the room than have say 20 or 30 heaters going.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    more info needed are all your tanks plumbed together?
    always thinking do some plumbing, but no, all single tanks.

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
    Its what a lot of breeders do. Once you get above a certain number of tanks (each with 100w+ of heaters, it makes more financial sense to heat the room than have say 20 or 30 heaters going.
    I am thinking it's time to do that, especially after I just paid the bchydro bill do you guys have any suggest on what type/style/model heater should be use ? I only have 110V power and maximum 10A can use I think. I need reserve some power for other use like light/air pump/filters/etc.

Forum Snooper

I used to have my fish in my bedroom so we share the radiator. The tanks are independent from each other. 9 individual heaters seems a bit much for me.
    If my tanks were in an open area or a huge room, I would stick with individual heaters.
    But in a small, closed room with good insulation and lots of tanks, I would heat the room. Plus, heating the air instead of water seems to produce less humidity issues.
    Last edited by Transposon; 06-25-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Transposon View Post
    I used to have my fish in my bedroom so we share the radiator. The tanks are independent from each other. 9 individual heaters seems a bit much for me.
    If my tanks were in an open area or a huge room, I would stick with individual heaters.
    But in a small, closed room with good insulation and lots of tanks, I would heat the room. Plus, heating the air instead of water seems to produce less humidity issues.
    //But in a small, closed room with good insulation and lots of tanks//
    --> that's my room except "good insulation", I still thinking how to balance the insulation and air exchange, that's one of my questions on whole room heating.

Forum Snooper

So your room is closed and full of tanks? That's a great room for whole room heating in my opinion.
    To balance insulation and air exchange...
    I had rock wool between the walls and non-leaking, double glass windows in mind when I mentioned insulation. Ideally the room should retain heat well. So even if you turn off the heater after heat it up, the room should stay warm for some time (without opening windows and/or doors). The longer it stays warm, the better it's insulated.
    Since heat is lost when cold air comes in, it's good to consider the purpose of air exchange, as well as how this is achieved.
    Is the air stuffy, humid or smelly? To which extent does one consider the air "fresh"? Does one want the exchange to be constant but subtle or just prop all windows and doors open a few times a day?
    Humidity is a hard one to solve by air exchange during winter. But if you heat the room, it will feel less humid as compared to heating the water already. Then try to cover all the tanks/filters/sumps that have water surfaces open to the room. Furthermore, air exchange with other heated space inside the house may help (if family members don't complain). Opening windows to the outside would be my last resort before investing in a dehumidifier, not only because of the heat issues but also because the humidity outside is already high when it rains (which occurs very often during winter in Vancouver, haha).
    Luckily when I had my fish in my bed room, it felt ok. I didn't even need to cover my tanks as long as I heat the room. Or maybe it's just that I am not very sensitive :P

Hi Eric, is your fish room still your shed? I thought you were getting rid of it all? I would use those oil radiator style heaters 2 would probably be enough for the room you have. They are very efficient and heat large areas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Hi Eric, is your fish room still your shed? I thought you were getting rid of it all? I would use those oil radiator style heaters 2 would probably be enough for the room you have. They are very efficient and heat large areas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    my fishroom still alive, but I must try find some way to low cost my energy otherwise I have to close it.
    //oil radiator style heaters// --> I'll go check it, thanks alot