Anyone pick up fish from Point Roberts recently?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hp10BII
  • 3 Post By aprilsaquarium

Anyone pick up fish from Point Roberts recently?

This is a discussion on Anyone pick up fish from Point Roberts recently? within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; ...

Forum Resident

DefaultAnyone pick up fish from Point Roberts recently?

Iím thinking of ordering some apistos from Wet Spot and having them deliver it to point roberts. Has anyone done this recently (within the past couple of years)? Is there anything I need to do ahead of time? From what Iíve read from past threads as long as I have the receipt and proof that theyíre going into my aquarium I should be fine?

On a side note, if anyone is looking to do a group order let me know. Iím thinking of ordering some time next week

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I think you're ok with apistos. But double check if they're on the CFIA susceptible species list. If they're a susceptible species but listed as a pet aquatic animal then you'll be exempt from requiring a permit, you just need to complete that certificate and hand it over to CBSA.

I've done it a couple of times within the past year and I needed that certificate each time for the fish I brought in.

Importation of Pet Aquatic Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Susceptible Species of Aquatic Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency
    VElderton likes this.

I brought fish back from Wet Spot last summer and I had those forms printed and ready to go. They never asked for or checked them, but always good to have on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

Sorry I'm a little confused. I checked the link and apistos aren't on the susceptible species list. So does that mean I don't need a permit and I just need to fill out the Importer's Declaration of Ownership for Pet Aquatic Animals Form, declare them at the border, and maybe pay HST if their total is over $100?

Forum Guru

DefaultAnyone pick up fish from Point Roberts recently?

Just need the scientific name and a
    Proper invoice and good to go as they arenít on the permit list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mikebike, VElderton and Ebonbolt like this.

A few notes:

1. Thanks for the links ... excellent!
    2. My reading of the documents is that if you are not importing fish on the susceptible list, Ebonbolt you understand it correctly
    3. You may also want to fill-out Declaration for Aquarium Importers too ... just in case. If they ask for it, you have it.
    4. If the species is determined that it is "at risk" or "endangered" then importation may be denigned ... not sure where you get that information
    5. Taxes will apply if you are over the Cnd import exemption amount
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

The way I read it, if the fish is on the susceptible species list, you require a permit to bring it in. The exception is if that fish is listed on the Importer's Declaration of Ownership...then you can complete that instead of getting a permit. If it is not a susceptible species, I would think just a receipt and the latin name of the fish would be fine when declaring at the border. Just my opinion, I'm not a CFIA or Custom's expert. Final decision is CFIA and you can contact them for clarification.

But if I were bringing in the apistos, even though they're not on the susceptible species list I would still fill in the Importer's Declaration just in case. It only takes a few minutes. If asked I'd show them the receipt of purchase and the latin name of the fish, chances are CBS won't care. It would be good if Wet Spot can provide you with a receipt with the latin name of the fish and if you can print off say the "A" alpha listing to show that the Apistos aren't on it. I had one CBS person at the airport that wanted to see everything and for me to prove that the fish are ok to bring into the country. I had the docs ready so it was ok, but it's better to be prepared just in case.

Forum Novice

I would be interested in ordering some apistos from WetSpot. I've done the Blaine pickup from a 24 hour drop box and it worked well. You do need to make sure they do 1 day shipping but from Portland to PR or Blaine would all be 1 day I think. You need to make sure that the scientific name is on the invoice and have the invoice with you for customs. PM me to chat more!! When are you thinking to order?
    Apisto-addicted at the moment trying my hand at breeding the cute little buggas!

Currently keeping the following:

Ap. bitaeniata yellow wc
    Ap. megaptera (aka sp. kurtzlappen/breitbinden) wc
    Ap. trifasciata
    Ap. baenschi wc
    Ap. cacatuoides triple red
    Ap. borelli
    Also now trying my hand at Plecos and have a group of 6 L397 Panaqolus sp.

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by rhennessey View Post
    I would be interested in ordering some apistos from WetSpot. I've done the Blaine pickup from a 24 hour drop box and it worked well. You do need to make sure they do 1 day shipping but from Portland to PR or Blaine would all be 1 day I think. You need to make sure that the scientific name is on the invoice and have the invoice with you for customs. PM me to chat more!! When are you thinking to order?
    Yea they do overnight shipping. Hopefully tanks will be up and ready by this weekend and I can put in the order Monday night

Forum Novice

Also interested in a group order from wetspot