AqAdvisor - Intelligent aquarium stocking calculator - Page 5
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

AqAdvisor - Intelligent aquarium stocking calculator

This is a discussion on AqAdvisor - Intelligent aquarium stocking calculator within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Love the calculator...hate the results..lol 309% overstocked, 67% filtration... good thing I already do 30+% wc every 3 days and ...

Forum Novice

Love the calculator...hate the results..lol
    309% overstocked, 67% filtration... good thing I already do 30+% wc every 3 days and the filter once a week
    (yes this is a temporary tank)
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

90g planted rainbow community tank
    my son's low cost 27g aquarium
    0.75g no tech planted shrimp tank
    more tanks to come
    1500sqft cage - a wife, 2 kids, a cat and a rabbit

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Banned

The person has obviously put a lot of time into this and it is a very helpful tool, great job.
    But like anything else of this nature, which tries to offer a remote sight unseen analysis, this is to be used as a reference only. If you keep up with the water quality you can most likely keep more than is recommended.
    One thing I keep seeing being mentioned is the % of filtration. First of all, in my humble opinion, if you can change enough water the filtration % should not really be that big of a deal because you are always replacing your old water with new water anyway; secondary, I want to say that it is my humble opinion that if you only need say "A" amount of bio to convert your ammonia to nitrate yet you have 5 times more than that amount in your filter it is not really going to make your water any better--you are not going to have 5 times more friendly bacteria because they will only multiply in proportion to your bio load. I believe any bio filtration more than that is needed to convert 100% ammonia to nitrate will not add to the "power" of bio-filtration. With chemical filtration there may be some benefit but for bio filtration 300% bio media volume does not make it 3 times better, it is probably just about the same.
    I want to mention this because I do not want any new hobbyists to think if they have 500% filtration their tank will be "cleaner" than if it only has 100% filtration so they can do lesser water change and still be fine.
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 06-16-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Forum Novice

Just to chime in:

I have TWO "Julii Corydoras" in a 5-gallon (small) tank. Nothing whatsoever territorial going on there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

I have a single CANDY CANE TETRA in the tank with a Betta (male) . . . completely indifferent to one another. Neither chasing nor nipping.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5