Betta is inactive - time for tank mates?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Betta is inactive - time for tank mates?

This is a discussion on Betta is inactive - time for tank mates? within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; So I’ve got a nice planted 5g which initially had just one betta. I've added 12 cherry shrimp which have ...

Forum Newbie

Default Betta is inactive - time for tank mates?

So I’ve got a nice planted 5g which initially had just one betta. I've added 12 cherry shrimp which have since multiplied, and my betta doesn't seem to care. He just sits in his favourite spot at the back of the tank on top of the heater. Occasionally he does a lap around the tank, but he seems quite happy to sit around doing nothing. This is pretty normal for bettas.

The shrimp have added some life to the tank, but I'm craving more. The middle/top of the tank is so bare. I think a small school of neon tetras would make the tank really come to life. Especially since the betta does so well with his shrimp mates.

Any suggestions/warnings about tank mates for bettas? Or perhaps how to lure my shadow-dwelling Betta into the spotlight?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Many Betta will live happily alongside various small fishes. I have one male Betta with guppies and glow light, neon, and rummy nose tetras.

The only issue here, I think, is the size of your tank vs. the number of fish. A Betta and a half dozen neons would be fine with frequent water exchanges . . . but you also have a dozen shrimp. Could be a little crowded in there. Move to a 10-gallon aquarium?

Forum Newbie

the shrimp don't have much bioload, and my tank is nicely cycled. I can't image 3-6 neon tetras would add more than my filter can handle with weekly water changes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

True. But I wasn't thinking so much in terms of bioload as I was in regard to having enough space for the Betta and tetras to move about i.e. considering the amount of plants in the photo.

Forum God

I would get at least 6 neons. They like company and a 5g is plenty of room for them. There are plenty of other small fish to choose from too. I like Gertrudes Rainbowfish.

Forum Novice

Perhaps.

However, the aquarium in the original post also has a Betta, at least a dozen shrimp, and oodles of plants already.

Five gallons of water only is very different from a 5-gallon tank that has substrate, plants, ornaments, in-tank filters, etc.
    Last edited by Mick2016; 06-22-2018 at 11:57 AM.