Can chlorine in yvr tap water kill fish directly?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Can chlorine in yvr tap water kill fish directly?

This is a discussion on Can chlorine in yvr tap water kill fish directly? within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I am just wondering can the chlorine in our tap water kill fish directly? Or can it cause any serious ...

Banned

Default Can chlorine in yvr tap water kill fish directly?

I am just wondering can the chlorine in our tap water kill fish directly? Or can it cause any serious illness in fish?
    Is there any studies showing that fish can be killed by the amount of chlorine in our tap water directly?
    Are we concerned about chlorine becaue it kills our nitrifying bacteria and our biological filter, which could in turn kill our fish--or should we be concerned that chlorine can actually kill our fish directly at the dosage that they are at in our tap water?
    I am asking this because I have heard so many people saying how chlorine is really dangerous but I cannot find any proof that fish can be directly killed by chlorine; what I have found are all suggestions that chlorines will destroy or damage the biological filter in our fish tank, which can cause an ammonia and/or nitrite built up, which can kill our fish as a result.
    Your thought?
    Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Yes, the level of chlorine in our tap water is lethal to fish. If you were to do a small % water change on an aquarium and forget to use water conditioner the level of chlorine would be diluted and unlikely to kill you fish. For us discus guys that are replacing a high % of water, forgetting to use water conditioner can be lethal to the fish. Unfortunately I know this from first hand experience.
    Fish rookie likes this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Banned

Thanks Rick for taking your time to answer my question.
    I will always make sure I add conditioner.
    Thank you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

If i may add my 2 cents.

YVR's tap water has a BROAD range of conditions out of the tap, all dependent on location. Some points in Vancouver have high CL2 levels, others do not. this is all relative to your proximity to a chlorination station within the water network. Chlorine dosing in our water supply is among the LOWEST in north america. correct me if I am wrong but i believe its second only to the greater New York water supply for that figure. Check your municipality's website or Metro Vancouver's to find out where these stations are.

bear in mind that some locations in metro Vancouver have no water mains. the pipes corroded long ago leaving lithified dirt in its place. we also have a decent concentration of metals chiefly copper (sometimes Aluminum in dry summer months) for this reason.
    Due to this, Seymour I went online a few years back. sand filtration and weak buffering with less than 20 ppm sodium bicarbonate bumps the pH to between 7.5 and 8.0 (VERY weak buffering). and this only affects those on the Seymour or Capilano water supply. the eastern suburbs are principally supplied with water from Coquitlam Gate. which has some buffering, but to a lesser extent at the moment.

while chlorine can kill, it is one of the easiest toxins to get rid of. Aerate and carbon filter tap water for several hours and it should be pretty close to pristine. it should also have a pH below 7 at this point.
    hp10BII, AndrewL and Fish rookie like this.
    Forever, and ever learning new things to enhance my nerd status

O man.... I have been changing water with treated and straight tap water for a year for my 55gallon tank. I don't have a big enough container for treating 7 gallons of water.....

Forum Beginner

I grabbed a couple of 6 gallon "camping" water jugs from Canadian Tire. There were about $12 each.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Algae Beater View Post
    If i may add my 2 cents.

YVR's tap water has a BROAD range of conditions out of the tap, all dependent on location. Some points in Vancouver have high CL2 levels, others do not. this is all relative to your proximity to a chlorination station within the water network. Chlorine dosing in our water supply is among the LOWEST in north america. correct me if I am wrong but i believe its second only to the greater New York water supply for that figure. Check your municipality's website or Metro Vancouver's to find out where these stations are.

bear in mind that some locations in metro Vancouver have no water mains. the pipes corroded long ago leaving lithified dirt in its place. we also have a decent concentration of metals chiefly copper (sometimes Aluminum in dry summer months) for this reason.
    Due to this, Seymour I went online a few years back. sand filtration and weak buffering with less than 20 ppm sodium bicarbonate bumps the pH to between 7.5 and 8.0 (VERY weak buffering). and this only affects those on the Seymour or Capilano water supply. the eastern suburbs are principally supplied with water from Coquitlam Gate. which has some buffering, but to a lesser extent at the moment.

while chlorine can kill, it is one of the easiest toxins to get rid of. Aerate and carbon filter tap water for several hours and it should be pretty close to pristine. it should also have a pH below 7 at this point.
    Thanks.
    Yes I have heard some people running a HOB filter in their water holding tank with carbon and also an airstone and just use that water for their fish. But with chlorine gone in the holding tank you also run the risk of having bacteria in your tank though if you do not clean it often, right?

Since we are on the topic, I was wondering what people do to remove chlorine when using a Python or similar?
    20g - Dwarf White Parrot Cichlid fry (4 @ .75" - 1.5") Swordtails (2 fem.) Corydoras sterbai (3) SAE (1)

15g - Long-fin Albino Bristlenose Pleco (3) Dwarf Gourami (1male) Flying Fox (1)

When adding water from a hose I add the declorinator directly to the tank pouring it into the running water stream.

If I'm replacing water by the bucket I add the declorinator directly to the bucket, I use a pump with a premeasured volume to give me the correct amout of declorinator.
    Mike in S. Surrey Please call 604 535 9063
    14 gal Bio Cube & Pond

See my tanks on CBC here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Y1zuY2y1I
    L-144 LongFin blue eyed
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/fish/Blueeyslacefin.jpg

dechlorinator works well, but in some instances you do not use it. it collapses foam heads in protein skimmers for one. ven if the water is well mixed with salt mix. the residual components of the conditioner are still there. or if freshwater is treated and added to replace evaporation losses.

While bacteria can grow in stored water, it pales by comparison to aquarium water. Tropical freshwater that most of our prized fish come from is the most 'alive' out many aquatic habitats. harmless bacteria to fish should be allowed to propagate in a system muscling out potential pathogens. the only exception to this is water that is heavily filtered by UV radiation. In a tank environment, this is a whole other debate. bacteria in water equates to 'aged' water. bacteria growth is limited by nutrients, and space for propagation. as most aquatic bacteria prefer to form biofilms on surfaces rather than float freely.
    mikebike likes this.
    Forever, and ever learning new things to enhance my nerd status

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast