Can you help with my New marineland tank?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Can you help with my New marineland tank?

This is a discussion on Can you help with my New marineland tank? within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I got a new Marineland Pillar Tank (6 Gallons) for Christmas from my boyfriend. I told him I wanted a ...

Question Can you help with my New marineland tank?

I got a new Marineland Pillar Tank (6 Gallons) for Christmas from my boyfriend. I told him I wanted a small tank so I could have a fighting fish (beta) and maybe a couple small bottom feeders. (no fish in there yet)

I want to do things right, so I am going to wait about a week or two after filling it to add the fish. Do you think this is the right thing to do? My fish store people tell me that I can just throw a beta right in as soon as I fill it, but I want to play it safe! I have seen "new tank syndrome" too many times when my boyfriend added new fish into his tank ...

So, I have gotten some stuff called "Stability", however I do not know how much I should add into the 6 gallons of water, as it says to add 5 ml for each 20 gallons of water. How much Stability should I add to the water in my 6 gallon tank?

Also, it says to turn off UV/Ozone when I use Stability. Does that mean just turn the lights off in the tank when I do it?

Hope everyone had a nice holiday. :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I cycled my 5.5 gallon betta tank in 12 days using frozen bloodworms and Stability. I added Stability according to package directions for the first week. I put in a small amount of bloodworms on days 3 and 7 (I think) to get the ammonia up. I did no water changes during that time and used the API liquid test kit to check water parameters daily. This let me know when the beneficial bacteria colony was established and it was safe to add fish.

During the cycle:
    - you'll see a spike in the ammonia to about 2ppm -- higher isn't necessary and will delay the cycling process;
    - the ammonia will start to drop and the nitrites (no2) will start to rise -- it will probably register off the chart i.e. over 5 ppm
    - once both the ammonia and nitrites drop down to zero, your tank is cycled; you'll see nitrates rise towards the end of this process -- they should be around 5-10 when you put the fish in and you'll need to do water changes to get them to drop to that amount at the end of the cycle.

There are better guides online than what I've written here, but it should give you a starting point. I kept my betta in an uncycled 4 gallon tank for about a month before I decided to get a bigger one and cycle it. It's really nice not having to do big water changes every day or two. It's worth it to wait the short time it takes to cycle the tank before putting the fish in, too.

What part of Canada are you in? If you are close to Maple Ridge you can come by my place and grab a bucket full of already cycled water to start with. This will allow you to add fish right away. If all you are going to have in it is a Betta then you can add 1 in when you get the temp set for the tank. What type of filter will you be using if any? You can also cycle your tank with a couple feeder goldfish then find them a new home when done. Good luck.
    10G Shrimp Tank. (RCS & Yellows) BNP's.
    20G creamsicle lyretail mollies,Sword-tails.
    90G 12+ Assorted BNP's, 1 Flower-horn,6 Rotkiel Sevrums & 4 short bodied Pearl-scale cichlids.
    135G 10 regular pearlscale cichlids, 3 salvini cichlid,1 Jaguar cichlid,1 Green terror,1 Jack Dempsey,2 Blood Parrots & a High fin spotted pleco.
    27G Discus 1 Red Melon & 2 Refraction D Crosses.

240th near Dewdney trunk rd
    East Maple Ridge

Paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I would just add prime and add the betta in since day 1. Just dont over stock with many fish.
    In my opinion with a 6 gallon you do need to do frequent water change regardless. If you do frequent water change (as in once every day or 2) you should be fine with the betta in there now. Just make sure you dechlorinate the water and the temp is right.
    Cycling is more for a 10 gallon or up in my opinion.
    Just my 2 cents.

when you say pillar do you mean round or square? have any pictures? And does this have the bio wheel filter that hangs on the back? If so...chances are a Betta isn't going to be happy in it as I believe there may be a bit too much surface movement with that filter on it. Bettas need calm areas to rest at the surface. I could be wrong , but if it is a round one like this one: Marineland Pillar Aquarium Kit Aquarium Kits there will definitely be too much movement for a Betta IMO. Cool tank though

google cycling a fish tank and aquarium nitrogen cycle

Google Image Result for http://www.peteducation.com/images/articles/ill_nitrogen_cycle.gif

How to Cycle a Fish Tank - Oscarfishlover.com

Here are 2 sites that explain cycling a fish tank. The better you understand it the longer your fish will live. Beta's are different than most fish. They dont like lots of water movement and prefer to live in a small bowl. There are exceptions to this rule as some bettas do just fine in a tank with others. Bettas can breath air fom the atmosphere so that makes them different than most fish. If you want your betta to live longer preform frequent 50% water changes. Once every couple weeks will do. You will notice the betta acts happier after water changes. Dont over feed.

Good luck with the fish!!!
    210g African dream tank up and running!!!!!! No more 120g

My 120 gallon African Cichlid tank build

**AFRICAN CICHLID VIDEO 22 months after setup**

My 25 gallon CO2 injected planted tank evolutiuon

33g African grow out tank

5.5g African grow out tank

26g Angel fish, black tetra, rummy nose tank @ my moms

Coming soon 210g African display tank

Banned

I am just wondering if she can really cycle a 5 gallon tank and count on the colony of bacteria?
    I am just afraid a bit of excess feeding or overstocking will give her a big spike and kill her fish...
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 12-27-2012 at 09:27 PM.

If you already purchased the Stability, you might as well use it. I was always skeptical with bacteria in a bottle formulas, I tried Cycle about 10 years ago and it still took me 6 weeks to cycle a tank. Over the past year, I've cycled several tanks from 20 gallons to 125 gallons using Stability from day 1 and I had no issues during the cycling process. I don't think there's any harm in slightly overdosing Stability - the excess bacteria would just die off. I would dose a capful the first day, then 1/2 capful or 2.5ml for the following 6 days:

Seachem. Stability

This should be done with the fish in the tank - the Stability product needs an ammonia/nitrite source in order to colonize bacteria.

What filter are you using on your Marineland tank? Ozone/UV filters are specialized filters designed to kill algae/free floating bacteria etc., so unless you bought these filters in addition to your Marineland setup, it doesn't apply to you.

Mr Know It all
    4097 Hastings st. Burnaby bc Aprils aquarium

There's a gravel by CaribSea called instant aquaria and it does work. I've tried it.
    But if you can get some sponge that's cycled from someone's filter you would be set.
    Most bettas don't have cycled water. Just prime and water. I'd say he would be fine. You could add a few other fish slowly .
    When people come in and buy a new kit I give them some cycled sponge from my filter and they have great success. A sponge and extra tank water. The key is to feed very Lightly. Bettas can be fed just a tiny bit every couple of days.

JTang likes this.

Im my opinion the easiest way is bring your sponge to a friends house a seed it in there tank or just squeeze his/her sponge and seed yours
    500 gallon plywood tank
    230 motor stingray breeding tank. led lighting, dual sump sump,and drip system
    150 gallon saltwater mixed reef.
    150 gallon African cichlid
    90 gallon fahaka puffer tank
    75 gallon flowerhorn tank
    55 gallon axolotle tank
    loads of guppies and shrimp tanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast