Cannister Filter leaking! ugh - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Cannister Filter leaking! ugh

This is a discussion on Cannister Filter leaking! ugh within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Thanks guys, I found the contact info. For the US and Canada: EHEIM SUPPORT 2215 Kenmore Ave Suite 100, Tonawanda ...

Forum Novice

Thanks guys, I found the contact info.

For the US and Canada:
    EHEIM SUPPORT
    2215 Kenmore Ave Suite 100,
    Tonawanda Commerce Center,
    Buffalo, NY 14207
    USA
    Phone: 1-888-89-EHEIM
    Email Customer support:[email protected]
    WWW.EHEIMSUPPORT.COM

Is there a Canadian contact or I guess this is the only number?

I have the receipt and bill of sale, I’ll take a picture tonight. I have a feeling if I take back to the vendor he will tell me to do the same thing, I doubt I would get a replacement from the retailer. I guess in the interim my tank sits stagnant.

I appreciate the help, is there a Canadian contact or is the North American number the best option?
    Last edited by _noob; 03-24-2018 at 12:31 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear about the filter leak ... we all feel your pain.

I know I have had a filter leak or malfunction issue just before leaving for a few days away. The main reason that I run multiple filter types on all my tanks is:

1. they all are good at one thing, except sumps that have multi-stages and are designed to all things
    2. it allows for full filtration and
    3. just in case of emergencies.

As usual you've gotten good advice here.

If you are worried about loosing the cycled media while you are away find a plastic tub and pop it in there with an airstone, that will probably keep most the bacteria alive for a few days - week. For your tank run an HOB on the tank, maybe you use the cannister media in it and a couple sponge filters ... you'd be good even if you had fish in the tank.

Good luck with Eheim customer service I have no experience with them. One reason I run Marineland canister filters on a number of my tanks is because they have GREAT customer service, anytime I have had an issue over the years which is not often, they have been great when I needed them.

If I was to rate the service I have had with canister filters that I run:

1. Marineland - constantly excellent, usually send free parts, including full replacements, even on older machines
    2. Rena-Filstar - average, knowledgeable suggest temporary DIY fixes until the replacement parts arrive, but expensive
    3. Fluval - not so helpful, not that willing to find a solution, a little bit of the "good luck with that" attitude

Good luck with the service query and have a great trip.
    _noob likes this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Forum Novice

Thanks. I’ve turned everything off and won’t be able to move the hob as my shrimp need it. I guess if the bacteria dies I’ll just restart the cycle in four days when I’m back. Hopefully the plants don’t get hit to bad and algae doesn’t take over. I just hope it’s not stinky water when I get back ... maybe I should just put some extra prime in since it is cycling with ada soil.

I’ve sent the email in so I will update once they respond. I got it from king Ed pets so I doubt they have extra plastic canisters or will swap me a brand new one.

Having read amazon reviews I agree now fully that the quality of the plastic on the Eheim isn’t what it apparently used to be. Amazon reviews tons of people have these issues with it leaking near the bottom elbow and these are recent reviews. And it’s not even close to being silent like some people mentioned with older models. Loud humming even through the cabinet.

I sent an email to Kind Ed as well since I'm leaving and they are still closed. I'll update both.

And I appreciate the late night help from everyone,
    Last edited by _noob; 03-24-2018 at 10:21 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum God

If there are no fish in the tank, maybe load the media into nylon stockings or a porous container and put it into the tank. Some bacteria should survive.
    _noob likes this.

The nylon sock idea is a great fill-in or media bag is a good idea. A simple air pump + sponge filter will solve the stagnant water problem.

If you need a backup HOB I can donate one to the cause.

I am in NVan ... text me if you need too (604) 240-096two
    _noob likes this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Forum Novice

Thanks guys your offers are very kind. I’ve started my vacation lol ... Ron called and emailed already and said to bring it back for him to look at when I’m back. Will keep everyone posted.

I’m hoping Eheim will send a replacement because the crack is so big I wouldn’t feel safe just repairing it.
    Last edited by _noob; 03-24-2018 at 12:01 PM.

That's too bad. I wonder if the crack was the source of your humming/vibration noise? It's running in a pressured environment. I would think KE will just take back your defective filter for an even swap. Check the body before you leave if they do. Much easier to deal with the dealer than C/S.
    _noob likes this.

Forum Novice

Quote Originally Posted by hp10BII View Post
    That's too bad. I wonder if the crack was the source of your humming/vibration noise? It's running in a pressured environment. I would think KE will just take back your defective filter for an even swap. Check the body before you leave if they do. Much easier to deal with the dealer than C/S.
    Good point maybe it’s the same problem. I’ve got hoses attached to lily pipes, should I take apart everything including all the cut up hoses or just bring in the canister, medium and half of the quick release detachments?

Ultimately it's up to KE, I've seen it gone both ways. To be kind, they'd just swap out the canister since everything else is cut to size. Maybe eheim return policy is to return everything back to them. I would bring everything with you and hopefully they won't ask you to take everything apart. Good luck.
    _noob likes this.

Forum Novice

Thanks again I appreciate the help and advice from everyone. I will update if Eheim responds to me and how it goes with king Ed when I bring it back in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast