illegally smuggling a turtle into canada - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

illegally smuggling a turtle into canada

This is a discussion on illegally smuggling a turtle into canada within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; a smugling conviction may affect:: your job : employers don't like criminal records! Your health : may carrie disease Our ...

a smugling conviction may affect::
    your job : employers don't like criminal records!
    Your health : may carrie disease
    Our ecosystem : may be invasive or carry infections

Our hobbie : they could make it more difficult to import any livestock
    Diztrbd1 likes this.
    Mike in S. Surrey Please call 604 535 9063
    14 gal Bio Cube & Pond

See my tanks on CBC here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Y1zuY2y1I
    L-144 LongFin blue eyed
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/fish/Blueeyslacefin.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Hey if he is willing to smuggle it in a sock and deliberately hide it might need to do a cavity check make sure he didn't hoop any of them
    Jousters likes this.

Pretty disgusted to see a thread like this on our forum! Really surprised you would even ask such a question! Please do not fall into that category of losers that do this crap! And please NEVER post a tread like this again on BCA!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I am amazed with the lack of awareness of the legal and ecological consequences. Obviously, the person did not intend this reaction. We obviously need to do more serious education on invasive species. Glad the vast majority totally get this.
    jasmine likes this.

Forum Snooper

I don't think he really meant any harm, either way he's educated now.

Not going to lie but due to the OPs response, I think it's a little rash how others have been responding.

By no means do I agree with smuggling, but it seems to me he was only looking to disprove what he had been told by someone else. I could be totally wrong as well. Either way, there really is not enough information for ANYONE to jump to a final conclusion. Only two post have been made in regards to the topic by the OP... Definitely not enough to find out true intentions.
    2.0.0 Rat
    0.4.0 Leopard Geckos
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko
    Planted Fluval Ebi, planted Fluval SpecV, 2gal planted cherry shrimp vase, 2x planted 2.5 gals, 1gal moss ball cube.

Forum God

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy_Addiction View Post
    Not going to lie but due to the OPs response, I think it's a little rash how others have been responding .
    I do agree that some of the responses were a little harsh. That seems to be the way of the internet. Mine was intended to be constructive. I hope nobody was offended.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Too be honest, I made sure my post was a little harsh (I usually am more diplomatic online than in person). Inquiring about doing something illegal by posting it on a public forum is simply asking for all sorts of trouble if the authorities read about it and then follow up. Smuggling live animals have all sorts of negative consequences that the OP probably never considered. I think its a case of opening his eyes to what could happen to him for even posting about this.

I know for a fact that many employers do online background checks of applicants' social media and online postings, either hire specialty services or do it in-house. It would not be hard to figure out the real name, address, etc. of any poster who posts questionable things about highly illegal activities. What people post online, on social media, on Twitter, etc. can turn around and bite them in the butt later on when they are trying to apply for a job, run for office, or something totally unrelated.

As I explained and April confirmed, we have forum members who are customs officers, RCMP officers, etc. One of my best friends is in the RCMP. We do not encourage postings about illegal activities on this site, it is a family-oriented site after all.

A wake-up call was called for and that's what I hope happened. Not just for the OP but for other people who have read and followed this thread.

And seriously, if people had posted "Yeah, go for it. Just stick that illegal and most likely endangered turtle in a sock and smuggle it in. You won't get caught.", the OP would not have seriously considered doing just that? Basically, it read like he wanted confirmation that he should do this and would get away with it.

Here are his exact words "Anyways, I'm wondering what my chances/consequences are of smuggling one back home?
    Like if I were to wrap one up tightly in one of my socks in my checked baggage... But yeah, you're right, it's not worth getting caught over. But this was a rare turtle... in canada anyways."

From his own words, it sounds very much like he was seriously contemplating doing this, if he had confirmation/encouragement from other BCA members that this is possible. I saw it as our duty to disabuse him of this notion and make sure he's aware of the very negative consequences if he is caught smuggling a "rare" and illegal turtle. Yes, some of the words and posts sounded quite harsh. Hard to convince someone to not do something illegal that they are very tempted to do if you treat him with "kid's gloves" and sugar-coat your words.
    Diztrbd1, effox, Pamela and 3 others like this.

Yes you, got your point around without pointing fingers.

I should not have generalised as others but rather some. Jeez I must be sick, I'm normally on the ball for defense posts. XD uggh. Lol.
    2.0.0 Rat
    0.4.0 Leopard Geckos
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko
    Planted Fluval Ebi, planted Fluval SpecV, 2gal planted cherry shrimp vase, 2x planted 2.5 gals, 1gal moss ball cube.

Forum Newbie

But you never really know unless you try. This will probably be your only chance to ever own that turtle. Lots of people smuggle stuff across the border every day. If it was me, I would hide it in my pants, not the checked luggage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast