Metrotown fish store - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Metrotown fish store

This is a discussion on Metrotown fish store within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I've shopped there a few times, and the price has been the biggest reason i left most of the time ...

Mr Know It all

I've shopped there a few times, and the price has been the biggest reason i left most of the time empty handed. Despite their high rent, they definitely push the envelope. There is a point in which you are not only being more expensive, but you are burning your bridges with your customers who find out down the road that they've more than overpaid, they were ripped off in ignorance. The only reason i think they may think them this expensive is perhaps they have a british pricing guide thats very outdated :P
    33G Reef || 20G Chain Loach Tank || 9.8G Twin Tanks || 2.5G Nano Tank
    Neven's Planted Addiction
    Neven's 33G Reef!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Mr Know It all

There are many reason for them to price the way they do. You can complain or you can try to be friend with the owner and show some appreciation of their costs for running a business in Metro town. 15 years ago, the parking surcharge at Metro on top of rent is $3,000 to $5,000 a month for a spot at the food fair.

If you get to know the owner and show some appreciation of how difficult it is to run a business in Metrotown, there is a good chance you would get 50% off those fish when they have them in stock. If you complain, they will not be excited to order that in for you even at $80 a fish. Pet Habitat may be expensive but I know a Pet Habit I can walk in and there is a 20% discount automatically deducted from my bill on dry goods when I pay and 50% off the list price of their demisoni - because I built a friendship with the Owner. That does not mean that I will pay 50% off $80 everytime. But now and then, just to support the business of a friend - why not

Realistically, you can never expect a Pet Habitat and many other pet stores to have fish priced to be as competitive as LFS. Why try to compare? I won't even try to compare between IPU, Rogers, King Ed, etc. Different business styles, different clientèle. If price is everything, check the price and move on to get it somewhere you know are cheaper - right?

When I go into a store, I buy stuff sometime knowing that I can get it cheaper somewhere else. I won't know the owners as friends if all I care is getting the lowest price.
    Wisperian likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gklaw View Post
    There are many reason for them to price the way they do. You can complain or you can try to be friend with the owner and show some appreciation of their costs for running a business in Metro town. 15 years ago, the parking surcharge at Metro on top of rent is $3,000 to $5,000 a month for a spot at the food fair.

If you get to know the owner and show some appreciation of how difficult it is to run a business in Metrotown, there is a good chance you would get 50% off those fish when they have them in stock. If you complain, they will not be excited to order that in for you even at $80 a fish. Pet Habitat may be expensive but I know a Pet Habit I can walk in and there is a 20% discount automatically deducted from my bill on dry goods when I pay and 50% off the list price of their demisoni - because I built a friendship with the Owner. That does not mean that I will pay 50% off $80 everytime. But now and then, just to support the business of a friend - why not

Realistically, you can never expect a Pet Habitat and many other pet stores to have fish priced to be as competitive as LFS. Why try to compare? I won't even try to compare between IPU, Rogers, King Ed, etc. Different business styles, different clientèle. If price is everything, check the price and move on to get it somewhere you know are cheaper - right?

When I go into a store, I buy stuff sometime knowing that I can get it cheaper somewhere else. I won't know the owners as friends if all I care is getting the lowest price.
    The comment i made was more of an observation, having been in retail and having owned my own stores, i am well aware of the rent and profit sharing that they have to do and i truly feel that in this case, making frreinds with the owner would have matterd much. I mean 50% off $80 is still way overpriced. So while i do understand, the markup it is still a unrealistic estimate to give out to a prospective customer and ask yourself this question, how is it the rest of the fish were only priced about $2 to $3 more when compared with stand alone LFS. I will also buy even if the prices are a LITTLE higher, i did that last week when i was at Petland in Langley.
    Last edited by roshan; 05-01-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    90 gal, Acrylic tank/2 XP3/ Coralife T5.

Banned

I like the topic !

Forum Novice

Just get in good with someone that imports or breeds. Who goes to fish/pets stores anymore anyways o.o. I was shown a price list of over 30 pages of fish and amphibians, and man the mark up we pay at these stores is crazy. I understand having to cover a overhead, and making a profit, but as I was always told. It's better to make a little on going then a lot at once. Fish stores are going to be a thing of the past, the only thing keeping them going is new people to the hobby. Like honestly does anyone go to petstores for saltwater products? I stopped when they quoted me 1000-2000 for my set up, and I got it done on my own for 400.

Another reason I never go to them anymore is it's impossible to get help at any of these stores anymore. You either get attitude (Will not mention any store names) or someone that doesn't know anything about the fish they sell! So many times when I was first starting I would go in and ask about fish and how they'd get a long and end up with dead fish that night (Again will not mention the store name...). Which is partly my fault to think a store would actually take the time to care about what they are selling. When we all know it's just about sales.

Okay thats my little rant for the day. Over all, tired of a couple of my LFS's along with the attitude and lack of knowledge they bring to the store. How the hell does someone become a manager by standing around all day giving dirty looks lol. -.-
    budahrox likes this.

Forum Novice

And 5000$ rent for a store front is nothing in a busy mall, that is not a reason for such high prices. Thats the average rent where im from on a main street. And even little sandwich stores with 3$ subs can get by.

AWW

rent in that store will be more than $5,000 a month... I know that for sure.

I can tell you a store like that can really struggle to get by for sure. Tom, the owner of Pet habitat in metrotown has closed down 3 of his stores in the past year and a half.

The reason for high prices likely stems down from poor aquatic suppliers. As for equipment, there is no way they can compete with J&L/King ed, They don't have the space for the volume.

It would be nice to see a store like J&L or IPU with an outlet in a mall some where. With less smaller stores, there likely wont be as many newbies to the hobby thats for sure!

Forum Novice

I find it's the larger petstores bringing in the newbies, because they can out do any of the smaller stores pricing. On fish at least. Like I HATE petsmart but lately I prefer it as I dont get the attitude you get from a few of the LFS's. And their prices are good. And hey I rather them tell me they have no idea on a compatibility, then have a know it all tell me what will work then end up with dead fish.

Pet Habitat has always had horrible prices. Even though I got in with the brentwood location and use to get 50% off everything plus 2 for 1 a lot of the times, I would NEVER buy anything from there if I didnt get those deals. Man most of the stuff they get in is all no name stuff from asia. That you're more likely to find at the richmond night market then in a regular fish store.
    Last edited by Reptiles&Fish; 05-01-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Banned

Small pet stores vs larger pet stores are tough business. They make price tag for resale for making some money to pay rent, hydro, animal's food, etc .

hey Reptile Guy, maybe I should know you. I will pm'd you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast