More 17 gallon filtration choices to make :)
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

More 17 gallon filtration choices to make :)

This is a discussion on More 17 gallon filtration choices to make :) within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Thanks for all the advice for my previous threads, have gotten lots of great advice! .. came up with another ...

Forum Novice

Default More 17 gallon filtration choices to make :)

Thanks for all the advice for my previous threads, have gotten lots of great advice! .. came up with another option seeing what you guys think:

Ada tank, planted (hc cuba, some background plants) for nano/fish shrimp - a nice school of fish so decently stocked with nano fish eventually:

1. (latest brainstorm) - Get a smaller Eheim 150, and also use my current Aquaclear 20 at the same time ....

2. Get an aquaclear 50 (cheaper, I'm going to be less stressed about a canister leaking)

3. Fluval 206 (on sale for about $125 these days), I like being able to add media, but have read enough reviews about the o ring leaking that I'm a little wary, and people don't seem to like the black hosing

4. Eheim 250 - seem's bulletproof .... but I'm wary about leaking, I don't trust my own abilities to cut and set it up properly the first time .... (wonder why Eheim doesn't have all the hoses pre-cut etc).

Would love to hear advice! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

If the concerns of a canister leaking and overall look is not appealing. I'd combine the AC 20 or AC 50 with a corner Poret foam Matten Filter like SwissTropicals. The combination of these two filters are efficient, quiet and simple low maintenance. It's a winning combination in tanks I have of the that size.
    _noob likes this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Forum God

I put my canister into a plastic tote below the tank. If you have room, that adds an extra level of safety.
    _noob likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Has anyone here ever had a catastrophic failure of a canister filter? Like you come home and your tank has been emptied onto your floors? That is my worst nightmare from someone who has never used a cannister filter before ... just so many (from a guy who has never used one before) places where it could fail, with all those hose connections and seals that could fail .... or maybe I'm just being paranoid .... as I inch ever closer to an Aquaclear 50 :\

Canister leaked from a seal, emptied a 1/3 of a 75 gallon tank. Worse was an AC70, it overflowed and dumped 60 gallons. Accidents will happen, just part of the hobby.
    _noob likes this.

Forum Novice

what brand of canister leaked on you?

Forum Novice

Although I like how much easier the fluval 206 seems to be with those easier to remove media baskets .... I think I’m going to go with the Eheim 2213 for a couple of reasons:

1 - fewer google search returns of leaking issues with the Eheim vs fluval 206
    2 - amazon has way more negative comments of motors breaking or leaking with the fluval vs Eheim
    3 - both have ugly hoses, but green is better than ribbed black ... IMO
    4 - Eheim comes with a spray bar
    5 - comes full of media, people with the fluval online or YouTube usually comment they are going to top off the media as it has some but not enough
    6 - Eheim about $115 (2213) locally, fluval on sale at a big box store for $121

I’ll update once I get, may try to find some lily pipes at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by _noob View Post
    what brand of canister leaked on you?
    It was an Eheim Professional II series. That and with a host of other problems with 2 of them, made me swear off on Eheim Professional series of filters and I just stick with the Ehiem classics. Just a simple design that works.

Quote Originally Posted by _noob View Post
    Although I like how much easier the fluval 206 seems to be with those easier to remove media baskets .... I think I’m going to go with the Eheim 2213 for a couple of reasons:

1 - fewer google search returns of leaking issues with the Eheim vs fluval 206
    2 - amazon has way more negative comments of motors breaking or leaking with the fluval vs Eheim
    3 - both have ugly hoses, but green is better than ribbed black ... IMO
    4 - Eheim comes with a spray bar
    5 - comes full of media, people with the fluval online or YouTube usually comment they are going to top off the media as it has some but not enough
    6 - Eheim about $115 (2213) locally, fluval on sale at a big box store for $121

I’ll update once I get, may try to find some lily pipes at the same time
    My guess also that if you do decide to sell your eheim, resale value would probably be higher too.

Forum Novice

Picked up the Eheim 2213 ..... now to find some lily pipes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast