Needing a change
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Needing a change

This is a discussion on Needing a change within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I am feeling a little bored with my 6 foot 125 gallon tank. I originally bought the tank for my ...

lnk
    Forum Snooper

DefaultNeeding a change

I am feeling a little bored with my 6 foot 125 gallon tank. I originally bought the tank for my big severum and angel fish, but they have all since died. I am now left with a few juvie angel fish, some gouramis, red tail shark and a bristlenose pleco. The tank is looking kind of bland and empty right now.

It is the main focus point of my living room and I feel like I need a change, but I am not sure to what. I have done the community tank thing, planted tank, cichlids. Not sure what to do next now. Anyone have any good suggestions?

tank is 72X19X24

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

Fahaka puffer. This is what i'd do if i were to set up another 6ft tank

Do a big biotope tank with schooling fish.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Perfect size for African show tank, will have lot of action and colors. If you got the dough go with peacocks or haps, get high quality ones if you can

Forum Novice

African cichlids would be a pretty solid option. Tropheus, a tang community tank, mbuna, or even an all male hap/peacock tank would look great and fit well in a tank of those dimensions.

I filled my 55g with a group of 20 juvenile Tropheus duboisi about a month ago. So far, it's definitely the most entertaining species I've owned.

If you wanted a more community tank route, a tanganyikan community tank could be a nice fit. A species of shell dwellers, a species of rock dweller (ie julidochromis), an open water species like cyps or paracyps, and maybe even a small group of synodontis (if you don't want fry) would be a good place to start.

A tank of that size could handle a pretty decent size mbuna colony too. Maybe a species like saulosi, as both the males/females get some good colour
    Last edited by joeyk; 11-02-2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: more words

lnk
    Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
    Fahaka puffer. This is what i'd do if i were to set up another 6ft tank
    I have seen the fahaka puffers and they do look really nice. But don't they get too big for my tank?

Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    Do a big biotope tank with schooling fish.
    Interesting, I never thought of this. Could be a fun project. Wouldn't be sure on where to begin with what biotope though.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyk View Post
    African cichlids would be a pretty solid option. Tropheus, a tang community tank, mbuna, or even an all male hap/peacock tank would look great and fit well in a tank of those dimensions.

I filled my 55g with a group of 20 juvenile Tropheus duboisi about a month ago. So far, it's definitely the most entertaining species I've owned.

If you wanted a more community tank route, a tanganyikan community tank could be a nice fit. A species of shell dwellers, a species of rock dweller (ie julidochromis), an open water species like cyps or paracyps, and maybe even a small group of synodontis (if you don't want fry) would be a good place to start.

A tank of that size could handle a pretty decent size mbuna colony too. Maybe a species like saulosi, as both the males/females get some good colour
    Will have to look into the cichlids more, I did a tank with smaller one years ago, but I guess now I can look into some of the larger species. Could be a fun option as well.

Forum Resident

Large schooling fish, like red line torpedo barbs, filament barbs, tinfoil barbs, etc.

A couple of large goldfish.

A teacup stingray.
    need more fish and reptiles and plants

lnk
    Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by datfish View Post
    Large schooling fish, like red line torpedo barbs, filament barbs, tinfoil barbs, etc.

A couple of large goldfish.

A teacup stingray.

A teacup stingray would be really cool! I thought they get too big for my tank though?

I do like the torpedo barbs, but I don't like that whenever I see them they are $20 each.

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by lnk View Post
    A teacup stingray would be really cool! I thought they get too big for my tank though?

I do like the torpedo barbs, but I don't like that whenever I see them they are $20 each.
    Your tank would be the absolute minimum, with no other fish in the tank.

Buy them off people online when you can, that's how I got my 14. I spent $150 total I believe.
    need more fish and reptiles and plants

You can try a SA biotope tank.

A big tank for big fish is nice. But more and more of my customers are going from big-tank-a-few-big-fish to big-tank-with-hundreds-of-schooling-fish. 180g is the smallest you should try to do this. 24" in width is a bare min size. The goal is to get a couple of big school of schooling tetra (total opposite color of each other; ie, cardinal/rummynose, cardinal/gold tetra). School will be 100 to 300 per type.

Then the top section of your tank will be occupy with another schooling tetra like hatchet to fill the floater portion of your tank.
    Then the bottom will be 2 types of schooling corys.

For the schooling effect, put 1 or 2 angel fish in there. Those will keep the tetra school tied. They will herd the tetra around the tank.

For the oddball, you can choose a few apisto., blue rams, exotic plecos, Dicrossus maculatus, or dicrossus filamentosus, and a small schooling of bleeding heart or red phantom tetra.

This would make an very natural biotope tank from SA with fish from top to bottom of your tank.
    mikebike and VElderton like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast