what should i be testing my water for? (freshwater) - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

what should i be testing my water for? (freshwater)

This is a discussion on what should i be testing my water for? (freshwater) within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Originally Posted by Scherb Agreed gh is important, are water is way to soft to leave unchecked. as for checking ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scherb View Post
    Agreed gh is important, are water is way to soft to leave unchecked. as for checking for chlorine we have chloramine not chlorine. in abby anyway, and i'm sure it is the same for the whole valley. i had a costumer come in a few weeks ago, said her boyfriends fish did not look good after she did a water change for him, cause he was out of town. so asked her what she did, she started telling me how she changed the water and said she used a chlorine tester to test the tap water. and it came out clean no chlorine. so i replied that is cause we have chloramine in are water. turned out she had not used a water conditioner at all, because the chlorine test showed no chlorine. long story short testing for chlorine is pointless. Good luck with your Ray.
    GH levels allow fish to better osmoregulate. To not adjust GH and consider this a good position on water management does not make sense to me. Some fish will survive in very low to 0 levels of GH but will not thrive. Many out of the blue illnesses can be attributed to lack of GH in the aquarium. Also medication are more toxic in low hardness conditions which is why some hobbyists lose their fish when medicating. All fish farms have hard water generally, they may lower their hardness to induce breeding but after raise the hardness condition for sustained health and growth. To just continually change water without adjustment is not the answer, our water has 0 GH. Continuous water changes will maintain pH at whatever the water source is but will not add GH.
    www.islandpets.ca
    Self proclaimed "Buffer crusader!" "Anti cyanide crusader!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rastapus View Post
    Sodium Thiosulfate binds to Chlorine. Commercially bought conditioners hade added products to neutralize heavy metals, reduce ammonia etc. depending on the product. In regards to Prime, like most conditioners it does the job but in my opinion is more product then most people need. Why would you use a conditioner that removes ammonia and Nitrite if you dont have residual Ammonia and Nitrite in your aquarium? Seems to me that Prime is adding un needed chemicals to your water. A standard conditioner that neutralizes Chlorine and heavy metals in my opinion is all anyone out here in BC needs. I have heard that Abbotsford has Chloramines, in which case Prime is a better product for that or any other conditioner that removes Chloramines as well.
    If you want to remove heavy metal can you add EDTA along with Sodium Thiosulphate?

Also, are people so concerned chlorine because it can kill the friendly bacteria or because it can actually kill your fish directly with the dose in our water?

If it is the former case, with 90% water change twice daily using water that has been sitting aerated overnight do I still need to be concerned with Chlorine?
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 11-21-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Forum Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Fish rookie View Post
    If you want to remove heavy metal can you add EDTA along with Sodium Thiosulphate?

Also, are people so concerned chlorine because it can kill the friendly bacteria or because it can actually kill your fish directly with the dose in our water?

If it is the former case, with 90% water change twice daily using water that has been sitting aerated overnight do I still need to be concerned with Chlorine?
    You *can* add EDTA... but it's another thing that is also toxic at the wrong dose. Live plants would be much safer in most cases, if you're trying to avoid commercial water conditioners. I don't think our water has a high enough heavy metal concentration to be acutely toxic, so (cheap, hardy) plants would be sufficient as sequesters, but you might take a closer look at that.

Yes, chlorine can kill fish in the doses coming out of the tap. Metro Vancouver keeps 'free chlorine' above ~0.6 mg/L (Seymour source) or 1 mg/L (Capilano and Coquitlam sources); that's well over the LD50 (the dose at which 50% of animals die with acute exposure) for most fish. Note too that the amount of chlorine added needs to be increased when the water is unusually turbid, e.g. after a very heavy rainfall.

Personally, with that big a water change I wouldn't risk an overnight aeration, I'd hold the water for a full 24h or treat with a dechlorinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Scherb View Post
    as for checking for chlorine we have chloramine not chlorine. in abby anyway, and i'm sure it is the same for the whole valley.
    I think for the Fraser Valley you're correct, but just to clarify for the OP here, most of the lower mainland - so from the Georgia Strait to Maple Ridge and Langley, but not Mission, Abbotsford, or Chilliwack - gets their water from Metro Vancouver, who AFAIK do use chlorine, and don't add chloramine:
    http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/...Guidelines.pdf
    Map of Metro Vancouver Tap Water Source & Supply | watermatters

I am open to correction on that, though, if others have further information.

2011 report including measured values of free chlorine, copper, lead, nickel, etc. in the source water and after treatment, from Metro Vancouver:
    http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/...ortVolume2.pdf
    Last edited by ibbica; 12-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3