Not much you can do about swim bladder issues?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Not much you can do about swim bladder issues?

This is a discussion on Not much you can do about swim bladder issues? within the Hospital Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I posted something like this awhile back, when my first betta started having swim bladder issues. Didn't seem to be ...

Default Not much you can do about swim bladder issues?

I posted something like this awhile back, when my first betta started having swim bladder issues. Didn't seem to be too much info out there about it...

Anyhow, I'll post what's currently going, see if anyone has any thoughts.

My female betta, Rosemary, has a birth defect where one of her pectoral fins is about half size. It hasn't really affected her swimming before, but about a month (or maybe as much as 2 months) ago she started swimming like her tail was too heavy. To be honest, I kind of have just brushed it off, when maybe I should have a been a bit more concerned. I sort of just chalked it up to perhaps another birth defect.

But the thing that's started to concern me in this last week is that Mango, whom Rosey shares her (divided) tank with, has started to show some early signs of having a bit of trouble with his swim bladder too. Not like he's sinking or anything, but he's flapping his tail a bit more than usual.

So just when I decided to give some sort of antibiotics a try, I find the store doesn't have any in.
    I know usually SBD is caused by some other illness, which is why I thought it wouldn't hurt to try a round of antibiotics.

They haven't got much else for symptoms, except Rosey is a bit less active than she used to be. She mostly just rests on the bottom. She does still come up when I'm hanging around the tank.

Tank is a 10g, split down the middle.
    Temp is already a bit on the warm side (82F), looking at getting a smaller heater today.
    Filter is an Aqueon Quietflow 10. Used to be on Rosey's side, switched it to Mango's side about a month ago. Thinking of adding a piece of foam or something to further reduce the flow...

If anyone has any thoughts, think antibiotic or some other treatment might work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

My betta got swim bladder disease and I tried using medication made for internal diseases. By the time I was able to find something and medicate I think it was too late. I killed off the bacteria but what ever caused the swim bladder was not affected. He was stuck at the top all bloated and unable to right himself up. I though either let him be or surgery. I don't have the money for that so I let him be. A couple of months later he was at the bottom of the tank not moving, and I freaked and ran to my tank to see how bad he looks. Well I scared him off the bottom shot up to the top looking for food. his right gill looks immobile but other than that he is happy blowing bubbles for his nest.

Forum Resident

Well is is SBD or is it Constipation?

The first step is to stop feeding. Watch to see if he poops. If he does and he clears him self out and his swiming goes back to normal then it isn't SBD. SBD isn't contagious...

To help him clear himself out you can use a litte epson salt. It's like a lacative for fish.

Dosage for Epsome salt

If you are working with a smaller tank, measure out 1/8 of a teaspoon of Epsom salt. And divide it up into 5 equal parts. Dissolve one part per gallon of water. It does seem very little but it goes a long way. More is not better, however. For your ten gallon just use a 1/4 teaspoon. A little goes a long way. Don't go overboard with it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Well, neither of them are bloated, but I could try fasting them both for a couple of days, then maybe some pea or something. Hard to tell if she's pooping, with the gravel, but with my weekly water changes lots of gunk always gets sucked up

Thanks for the tip on the Epsom salt Scholz. When my old betta got sick, I gave him short soaks in a bit of Epsom (couldn't put it in that tank since he was in a community), but I think it wouldn't hurt to try a bit of salt in the tank.

Forum Resident

Epsom Salt and Salt are two different things. Don't use both of them at the same time. Salt helps with things like velvet, and fin rot be helping the fish build up it's slim coat. Epson Salt can help with Dropsy and Bloat and Constipation....

Good luck!

Lets us know how it goes. If that doesn't work then we'll start treating the SBD...

Yeah, I know the difference. Sorry, I was just too lazy to type "Epsom" the last time :P

For any kind of salt, does it make a difference if there's carbon in the filter?

Forum Resident

I would pull the carbon.... I don't think it does.... but carbon when it get's old can cause alot of other problems.... phosphates through the roof.....etc....

Hey I hope things are going better with the bettas! I agree with Scholz that fasting a couples of days is definitely a good idea for now. How much and what type of food were you feeding them? If it is SBD it's often a combination of quantity of food and too much dry food which swells in the gut if not soaked prior to feeding.

Forum Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Scholz View Post
    Well is is SBD or is it Constipation?

The first step is to stop feeding. Watch to see if he poops. If he does and he clears him self out and his swiming goes back to normal then it isn't SBD. SBD isn't contagious...

To help him clear himself out you can use a litte epson salt. It's like a lacative for fish.

Dosage for Epsome salt

If you are working with a smaller tank, measure out 1/8 of a teaspoon of Epsom salt. And divide it up into 5 equal parts. Dissolve one part per gallon of water. It does seem very little but it goes a long way. More is not better, however. For your ten gallon just use a 1/4 teaspoon. A little goes a long way. Don't go overboard with it!
    I second this opinion! I've seen it referenced on a lot of sites. Just don't mix it with any other aquarium salt.

What do I feed them... Heh heh... They're probably the most spoiled bettas.
    I've got 4 jars of food I alternate through.

Petcetera brand betta food (2-3 pellets per day)
    Attison's betta food (3-4 pellets per day)
    NLS community food (I think the .7mm one?) (2-4 pellets per day)- about once a week
    Freeze dried blood worms once a week. (A pinch per serving, maybe 2-3 worms total)

I usually fast them once every two weeks, and when I think of it I give them a bit of pea

I change the carbon about once a month (doing a WC today and will change the carbon today too...) This will just be day 2 of fasting, so haven't tried pea or epbson salt yet.
    Last edited by BullDog; 06-14-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast