BC's tap water - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

BC's tap water

This is a discussion on BC's tap water within the Marine Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Originally Posted by scott tang sure we have great drinking water but ro is the way to go. iv had ...

Quote Originally Posted by scott tang View Post
    sure we have great drinking water but ro is the way to go. iv had salt water tanks for 2 and a half years now and recently swiched to ro and my groath is insane !
    i tryed sps before i swiched to rodi and it was a miserable falure ! i now have thriving sps frags and all credit goes to the ro water. any seryus reefer( sps and non photos )nomater where you live you probly use rodi and theres a reason! if you want a beginers reef with easy corals you sure dont need it its when you get more advanced. i bought a pilky way paly opne head online and with in 1 and a half weeks i got three new heads ! the big difrance using ro is your groath rates

corals have to ajust every time you do your water change because your changing the levles of trace eliments they dont need that are found in our tap water there for using rodi water is the way to go my corals dont stunt in groath every time a do a wc they barly notis !
    So you're telling me that a system as dynamic and ever changing as an sps tank was affected by what amounts to less than 4 ppm of dissolved solids and less than 25 ppm of bicarbonates (on average according to metro Vancouver) ? There was something else at play man. A DI will take care of what matters, a carbon filter will get the rest. Unless you're on well water there is next to nothing to be taken out by a RO membrane.

A statement like tap water killed my sps needs to be tested and proved. Because in this water reservoir system there is very little that would substantiate that claim.
    Last edited by Algae Beater; 09-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    Forever, and ever learning new things to enhance my nerd status

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

are you a coral? Then u can't tell me some thing small doesn't mater we ad reefers strive to make the best inviroment for our little friends any thing I can do to make mine beter I will. why couldn't i grow sps before then

yes I do use a ro Galizio

So here's some thing to think about in Europe there's a company I forgot the name but IL be sure to post the article who tests for 20 some thing trace elements the idea behind it being you have a giant fuge with macro algeas and you never had to do wc just replenish trace elements and top up with ro why ro because even our water has things we don't want in our tanks that build up ie metals phosphate....
    Tanks and stuff

are you a coral? Then u can't tell me some thing small doesn't mater we ad reefers strive to make the best inviroment for our little friends any thing I can do to make mine beter I will. why couldn't i grow sps before then

yes I do use a ro Galizio

So here's some thing to think about in Europe there's a company I forgot the name but IL be sure to post the article who tests for 20 some thing trace elements the idea behind it being you have a giant fuge with macro algeas and you never had to do wc just replenish trace elements and top up with ro why ro because even our water has things we don't want in our tanks that build up ie metals phosphate....
    Are you talking about SPS only? Isn't LPS ok with tap water though?? I remember this issue was discussed about a year ago here and most people just use tap water with great success.
    RSM 130- saltwater tank

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

lps and softies are fine in tap water only thing being i notis isr more bleaching with tap then i do with ro

many people including me have notised some zoa frags wont grow for 6 months if your on tap water using ro they start to grow in a few weeks enen in ruf shape
    Tanks and stuff

Forum Novice

My tap water reads about 8ppm but I always use RO water. I learned the hard way. That being said, I haven't change my filters in my RO unit for two years. I do test absolutely every time I use it - always 0.

AquaAddict
    scott tang likes this.

I'm talking about measurable, quantifiable numbers and measurements. What is in our water is removed by DI and carbon. RO is there for nutrients, alkali metals and karst/limestone leachate. As our tap water has little to none of these elements, I was merely stating the scientific proof for not using one. Not things an aquarist notices but does nothing to quantify.

I'm not personally attacking anyone. Merely trying to have an intelligent conversation about the attributes of something WE ALL USE.

Didn't mean to offend you or your corals.
    Reckon likes this.
    Forever, and ever learning new things to enhance my nerd status

Forum Novice

I use tap water...

Case closed?

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, Vancouver water is purer than the output of many RO systems used on hard water sources and nearly as pure some RODI systems used on those same hard water systems or wells. Using an RO system on GVRD water is purely a users choice.. DI filters on their own will take out the bit of mineralization in GVRD water.

are you a coral?
    Quote Originally Posted by Algae Beater View Post
    Didn't mean to offend you or your corals.
    Scott... Are you a coral?

Yes

I'm not going to try to scientifically tell u it's beter cause I don't have proof but verry few sps reefers don't use it and I have great growth because of it
    Tanks and stuff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast