Blackfish (documentary, 2013)
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Blackfish (documentary, 2013)

This is a discussion on Blackfish (documentary, 2013) within the Marine Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; After watching this documentary today, I will never support an aquarium that houses Orcas ever again. This documentary isnt like ...

Banned

Default Blackfish (documentary, 2013)

After watching this documentary today, I will never support an aquarium that houses Orcas ever again. This documentary isnt like The Cove in any way, none of the orcas die, but it shows what a barbaric society we live in and why orcas shouldnt be held captive.

I downloaded it earlier today and I recommend that you all see it.

If you have seen it, what did you think?
    Last edited by Fire_eel; 12-15-2013 at 02:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Posting a link for the trailer for the film

Blackfish Official Film Site
    Reptiles&Fish and Fire_eel like this.

Personally I don't think any animals should be held in captivity as such. But I must say I find the use of "barbaric society" kind of ironic when it comes to Orca's. Ever seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELm8yRxAK9o
    chased them down for 3 hours before finally killing the baby. All they ate was the jaw, pretty much killed it for the practice.They are remarkable creatures, but not very nice in the wild.

Couple more vids of their true nature:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaidpx3b0Jg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lw8_SAtX8o

Now you can say thats just nature, but most other animals in nature kill for survival, not for practice.
    Not a big fan of them after I seen those documentaries, but at the same time I agree they should not be captured the way they are and put in captivity.
    As for the "barbaric society we live in, well apparently thats in our nature as well unfortunately.

Interesting interview with the Blackfish film maker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_gk1sVAyhU

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I did want my piranha to eat a mouse, but that really has nothing to do with what Im discussing here.
    Killer Whales are intelligent, top predators and we have been raised to think of them as cute and cuddly. They are anything but. The comparison of barbaric practices between housing Killer Whales and using a feeder mouse for your piranha arent even in the same league. These whales are thought to be sentient, and anything sentient should not be used in any display of 'zoo' type business for profit. Exceptions COULD be made for orphans or animals found injured that we can cure. In any case, I think this documentary is very important to watch, and if you have kids, make sure they understand the parts YOU think are important for them to know.

Hopefully there wont be any wild whales/dolphins captured in the future for purposes of captivity. I am even leaning towards letting injured/orphaned whales die so they dont have to live in captivity... unless the species is endangered or about to go extinct then sure save the injured for breeding purposes but NOT for any other reason.
    Last edited by Fire_eel; 01-11-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Here's something I read today, from one of the most experienced orca trainers featured in the documentary. It may make you think twice about the motives behind Blackfish.

http://micechat.com/53915-blackfish-exposed/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

No not really. I saw the movie before this thread and when aquariums were mentioned in the bcspca thread as an educational place I just laughed at what a bunch of misinformation. That article doesn't discredit the truths in the movie about bad things we humans do it just questions the intentions for making it and I could really careless if another person profits or wins an award if that's a persons concern they missed the point of the film. It boils down to dollars over sense, what's done is done we know its wrong so release them? No, Any half witted person knows that wont work so just stop the breeding and removal/sales of the babies and end the orcas in captivity and trainers teaching them tricks but that can't happen it makes to much money.

I mean is it really the trainers fault, no. They were just doing a job they loved with animals they loved unfortunately having them in that kind of environment sets the animal up for failure. Like really let's put a cub on a leash seperate it from its mother put it in a pen make it preform its whole life and starve to lure back to the cage at night and we will all be surprised when a trainer gets mauled.
    Fire_eel likes this.

I love bbc's cgi haha I just watched the added videos and it is just nature they may have eaten the baby if they weren't chased off and as for animals killing for sport I know meerkat females slaughter any offspring that's not their own not quite sport but still not for survival

Thanks for the post I wish more people were educated on animal welfare topics and profits came second.
    Last edited by Vancitycam; 01-11-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added thanks and education wishes
    Fire_eel likes this.

business's are far better at protecting animals than 99% of "charities" so i wouldn't say profit is evil
    29g fluval wide no-tech planted tank

Hoping to start one day :

8g fluval flora - still in box

Banned

profit can be evil when the animals are mistreated to acquire said profit

It appears with this species, business is who they need protected from. Personally I have never seen a Killer Whale or Dolphin up close (in captivity) but would far more appreciate seeing them in their natural habitat if I ever do get to see them. It is shame we take any living creature away from it's natural environment solely for the purpose of exploitation or entertainment purposes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast