how difficult is to set up nano reef tank (6-9G)? - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

how difficult is to set up nano reef tank (6-9G)?

This is a discussion on how difficult is to set up nano reef tank (6-9G)? within the Marine Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I think a nice planted nano tank would be awesome for a pea puffer. It would be a great learning ...

Forum Novice

I think a nice planted nano tank would be awesome for a pea puffer. It would be a great learning experience on planted tanks and like the picture can come out really well. And you'll never have snail problems!

Planted.jpg

Just had to add this second picture. Love when people make tree's in their tanks.
    1_fullview.jpg

Again I would still advise looking at some of the rimless nano euro tanks. They are very nice and attractive a perfect tank for your kitchen. As I've heard many problems with the Fluval edge (Algae problems, Melting of light fixture and problems with the light over all.). I understand the ease of an all in one tank, but with a normal tank you can do so much more without having to rip off and retro fit low quality stock parts once something goes wrong. Unfortunately this is a problem with almost every single All In One tanks. Bio-cubes are a great example, someone with experience will not buy one unless super cheap, or they have a plan for it. Newer people will always buy them then once gain more experience usually regret it or change out all the part for better ones the thing should have came with in the first place!
    Last edited by Reptiles&Fish; 09-02-2013 at 07:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum God

I would disagree with the post that says pea puffers need to be alone. I have a 15g tank with 7 adults, and they do fine.

Forum Novice

It's a pre caution, just like with most animals that are solitary in the wild. It's like people who have bearded dragons together, just because one persons get along together does not mean this is the norm. I've seen people have beardies together for 5 years then one day come home to one dead. And in some cases some that lived together till they died together(But this is not the norm, in most cases males should be removed at certain times of the year, even female communities will fight and stress each other out. Even if you don't notice any difference.). It's all pre cautions and taking chances. Puffers do get aggressive with age, no matter the species. Sometimes raising them together with LOTS of hiding spaces and stuff to break line of sight can counter this, but not always. The males are the more aggressive(Especially when guarding young) so if doing a group I'd make sure you get a nice ratio of more females to males. This is why I suggested a planted set up as it really splits them up to and allows them to create thier own territories with out having other puffer eyes on them at all times(Creates stress), then you'd be able to have a couple more (But at 6 gallons I'd only recommend at max of 3? Maybe 4?). Solitary animals do stress around others(Which we may not be able to notice) so always take the precautions as you are always taking a chance. But set up the tank right, do the research and you should have no problems.

I've kept pea puffers off and on. Had groups that worked and groups that didn't. In the end it's all about how your tank is set up. Even had a group of 10 in a 90g(Thought that'd be enough room) but all the decorations where huge and not really cutting line of sight. After a week one was left.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    I would disagree with the post that says pea puffers need to be alone. I have a 15g tank with 7 adults, and they do fine.

If you where to add anymore I could almost guarantee you problems. Is your tank empty or decorated? But thats awesome that you have had good luck, puffers are very personal and amazing pets. Mine use to chase around a laser pointer like a cat haha.
    Last edited by Reptiles&Fish; 09-02-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    JTang likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2