Marine paint?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Marine paint?

This is a discussion on Marine paint? within the Marine Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; What's the best marine paint for wood and metal on a stand for a salt water tank, and where can ...

Question Marine paint?

What's the best marine paint for wood and metal on a stand for a salt water tank, and where can I get it?
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

if it's just for the stand, probably any oil based paint would work wouldn't it?
    Mike Di Nardo
    Marine Mechanic - Galleon Richmond

125 Gallon Mixed African Cichlids

125 Gallon Reef

The plywood shelf over the sump is close above and it is delaminating the surface on the underside of the shelf. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

Default paint

For the wood, a good exterior paint and primer, preferably oil based if you can find.

For the metal, prime with a zinc type primer (try boat supply store) followed by an epoxy paint. If you are good with a spray can, rustnot or tremclad rust paint will work well. Marine / boating stores will have excellent options for both the wood and metal.

For both use a good primer as this will seal the metal or wood. If you are making it yourself try using galvanized metal and after drilling any hole paint the holes with weld prep paint available at most body shop supply shops (Lordco or such). Even better use 316 SS or better grade stainless, expensive and tough to paint but it will last.

For a top coat, use a hard paint that resists scratching. It will chip easier, but scratches are more common than chipping and the scratches will break the seal of the paint.
    House for sale, all tanks gone for now
    110g SW still available
    Once I've moved I'll figure out where and how many new tanks will be coming....

i've got zinc chormate primer for sale at my shop, but it means coming out to richmond!
    Mike Di Nardo
    Marine Mechanic - Galleon Richmond

125 Gallon Mixed African Cichlids

125 Gallon Reef

The actual square tube frame is not in bad condition, I'm just going to recoat it with black high gloss tremclad oil base rust paint. I am going to use stone coat finish on the wood underside of the shelf that is directly over the sump area and then clear coat it. It's a 2 step system made by Krylon. I read the directions and it seems like it will do the job on the bottom side facing the sump area as it is a water resistant finish. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.