Missing Fish
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Missing Fish

This is a discussion on Missing Fish within the Marine Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; So I bought a yellow assessor 12 days ago from J&L. During the first 4 days I saw him a ...

Forum Snooper

Default Missing Fish

So I bought a yellow assessor 12 days ago from J&L. During the first 4 days I saw him a total of 15 min, even bribing it with food did not bring the fish out of hiding. On the 6th day I started moving rocks in an attempt to find him which i did for 5 seconds, but now he is hiding in another hole (at least i hope so). My parameters are fine, there were no other fish in the tank until 2 days ago i added a clown. I dont know what to do now, should i go back in and look for him, or just write him off since i know he is not eating any food i put in the tank?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

bumpity bump

Forum Snooper

give it some time, maybe try feeding as soon as you turn the lights on, or lightly tap the tank with the food container.
    this is what i do as a routine so the fish know whats up haha

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

lol maybe later on i'll condition them to do that lol....

im almost tempted to go back in and dig out the rocks to draw him out. On the flip side i like my aquascape and doubt i'll be able to rebuild it as is atm.

thanks for your input rave

Do not go thru your rock looking for him I have done this many tines and it honestly makes it worst 90% of the time
    I would get some live food and spray it where he hides
    Tanks and stuff

Give it some time . It probably getting used to its surroundings. I had one and recall in the beginning it hide a lot . They are cave dwellers and like to hang out on the bottom side of overhangs.

Here is some good info on them.

Fish Profile: Yellow Assessor, Assessor flavissimus by Jessica Gadling - Reefkeeping.com

Chris

Forum Snooper

my striped raphael has similar behavior and only comes out once in a while, but yes i agree with the rest when they say dont pull apart the tank. give it a bit more time! gluck

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by jkhcjris View Post
    Give it some time . It probably getting used to its surroundings. I had one and recall in the beginning it hide a lot . They are cave dwellers and like to hang out on the bottom side of overhangs.

Here is some good info on them.

Fish Profile: Yellow Assessor, Assessor flavissimus by Jessica Gadling - Reefkeeping.com

Chris
    thanks Chris, I read that one earlier but since i dont know where he was hiding i was just worried that he would die of starvation...

Forum Snooper

thanks for your input everyone....

scott your inbox is full.... to reply to your msg, they didn, i just called them

Forum Novice

Here's another important factor to consider - Yellow Assesors, while being a great, hardly, relatively trouble free fish, make a lousy first fish. They are shy at the best of times and even more so when you have little or no fish around to make them feel comfortable. Keep in mind that they are reef fish and come from environments that are heavily populated with other animals. A lack of similar, small fish is usually indicative of nearby predators which compounds their nervousness. This is the same reason why most tangs, while bossy or aggressive in the midst of co-specifics, tend to be flighty when kept alone.
    gmann likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast