15g column, planted. My “getting back into hobby” tank
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

15g column, planted. My “getting back into hobby” tank

This is a discussion on 15g column, planted. My “getting back into hobby” tank within the Member Photo/Video Gallery forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Hey, I had my 15g running at bare bones with some driftwood and a betta but recently decided to get ...

Forum Beginner

Default15g column, planted. My “getting back into hobby” tank

Hey, I had my 15g running at bare bones with some driftwood and a betta but recently decided to get back into the hobby full steam.

Setup is:
    Aqueon 15g Coloumn w/ custom built stand.

Fluval C2

Tank always had fluorite substrate.
    River rocks collected personally and a nice driftwood stump suited to a tall narrow build.

Had bought fluval co2 45g kit and very soon after started building a more cost effective and advance co2 setup, aquatek valve and solenoid adapter for paintball tank and bought a 24oz bottle. Currently at 1 bubble per .8 seconds.

Finnex fugeray planted + led on modified tank lid also running the 8w t5 built into hood.

Slowly changed stock around over past couple months have landed on what I really like being;

1 Male Betta
    6 Harlequin Rasbora
    3 Otocinclus
    3 Nerite Snails
    4 Ghost Shrimp
    Unknown amount of MTS

3 groups of Crypt Wendetti
    2 Anubias
    4 groups of Nymphoides Taiwan
    Couple java ferns (small left over from last incarnation of tank)
    1 Moss ball
    Moss on driftwood stump.

Ferts are the standard seachem root tabs, 1 pump daily of Tropica specialized and a small pinch of seachem equilibrium with changes (soft water in lower mainland)

Attached will be various pictures from day 1 to now and I hope to hear thoughts or opinions. Suggestions or otherwise. (I know it doesn’t compare to some of the beauties out there but it’s a start)

39190D3F-5052-46D5-AE40-26BA3A522DF0.jpeg807C483E-7FA3-4BFD-8F15-139FFE435828.jpeg1B3C2A36-A676-4112-9F8C-AE1F39D57F90.jpeg52B453A1-7DB2-4948-BD22-37E453E7DBDD.jpeg
    Last edited by Thutton; 02-17-2020 at 03:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Looking good!

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

I love column and cube tanks. Like how yours turned out. Good job. Now I'm on the look out for a column tank to set up in a classroom

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

D719AB41-7A5C-435B-A051-DADF494CFC67.jpeg
    Blacked out back of tank, growth boom in pretty much everything. Seems to be balanced out pretty good now
    Last edited by Thutton; 03-15-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Forum God

Nice tank. I have found a 15g column planted tank difficult to maintain. Too much algae at the top, too little light at the bottom.

Forum Beginner

It hasn’t been without challenges, the finnex planted plus and co2 seem to be enough to boom the crypt and Anubias at the bottom with low light (I had to limit the bottom plants due to the depth) I only had some algae when I ran my second light, biweekly glass clean with mag float, along with 3 oto and a couple nerite keeps it algae free. The nymphoides grow no matter what pretty much and they shade the top now so the algae stopped at the top of my log.

I would recommend to anyone starting a planted to not use a Column lol, next month I’m starting work on my 50g planted which will have me move my co2 etc to it, turning column into low tech with cherry shrimp. All in all I’m happy with how it has turned out.

Forum Beginner

Tanks changed since I got my 50g up and running, scape for viewing from 3 sides do to new location. No CO2 just Finnex Planted+ light.
    New Stock:
    2 Guppies (space to keep fry, Had more then one female but she didn't make it)
    3 Otos
    1 Nerite snail
    6 Cherry Shrimp (one was found still alive after betta was removed, Born in tank couple month back. Was quite the suprise)
    MTS

-

15g.jpgIMG_0340.jpgIMG_0341.jpg