Corydoras duplicareus
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Corydoras duplicareus

This is a discussion on Corydoras duplicareus within the Member Photo/Video Gallery forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; ...

Default Corydoras duplicareus

These guys are probably my favourite fish at the moment. I have a group of 6 in a 75G. Their colour pattern is fantastic and they are always out in the open, playing and/or courting. They lay eggs regularly but the eggs are hard to find because the females hide them instead of laying them on the glass like other species of corys. And then they get eaten by my apistos if I don’t rescue them immediately. I have managed to save 3 so far, and the fry are doing well and growing in a separate tank. Anyway, here’s a pic. Only one specimen because they move constantly and I’m not good with a camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Guy likes this.
    Vicenza 260 Limited Edition - apistos, cardinals, sterbais
    75G planted - apistos, pencilfish, duplicareus, farlowella
    Fluval Studio 33G - apistos, chocolate gouramis

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

you are pretty good with a camera, seems better than me! I like these corys a lot, will have to find some. Thanks,

Thanks. They are hard to find locally. There's a similar species that is sometimes available locally. They're called Corydoras Adolfoi. I think April has some, or had some recently. They are nice too. They also have the orange hue right behind the head, but the black bands are not as wide or as deep in colour compared to the Duplicareus. That can be hard to tell when the fish are young of course, so they can also be mislabeled.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

My favourite corydoras species. I have success breeding them in their own spawning tank. Where did you get your duplicareus?
    Last edited by hp10BII; 01-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.

I have about 8 of these I bought from “hp10BII” they are great fish. They are about 2 years old now. Maybe I should try my hand at spawning them. Any suggestions?
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by hp10BII View Post
    My favourite corydoras species. I have the success breeding them in their own spawning tank. Where did you get your duplicareus?
    Great to hear about local breeding success with these guys. So did you not have to remove the eggs then, or the parents after spawning? In other words did the parents not eat the eggs? I got mine from Aquariums West a couple of years ago. They were pricey but I certainly don't regret the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by VElderton View Post
    I have about 8 of these I bought from “hp10BII” they are great fish. They are about 2 years old now. Maybe I should try my hand at spawning them. Any suggestions?
    I am not doing anything special to condition them. Just a planted tank with places to hide, good food and water quality, and some tanins through the like of almond leaves. I do try to lower the water temp by a couple of degrees when I do water changes, but then I haven't really noticed a correlation between water changes and spawning activity. So who knows. Maybe hp10BII has special tricks?

I've accumulated my colony probably over a period of 8-10 years. Usually during our wet season when our heavy rains are here, they start doing their cory dance and if I have the time to breed and raise fry, I'll get things set up. When my duplicareus colony is low, I make more.

I try to match a female to 2 or 3 males, so 2 trios/groups in a breeding tank. I use a 15 gallon, water filled to about the 10 gallon mark. Condition them with good food, frozen blood worms, FD Black worms, brine shrimp flakes, a good quality pellet food and within a month the females should be ready to throw eggs. Almond leaves are good, the spawning tank will have a thin layer of pool filter sand. some driftwood. When there is a storm coming, the corys will let you know and I do a big water change with cold water, even as much as 5*C cooler. They'll throw eggs all over the glass, heaters seem to be a favourite, I don't use a spawning mop.

I do collect the eggs and raise them out in a 10g tank and transfer them to larger tanks when the juveniles are sizing up. So nothing special, this is probably what other cory breeders do with their groups.

They are normally housed in a community tank, I do see eggs, but they'll be picked off by the apistos and tetras too. If you want to produce more fry, I would set up a breeding tank.
    crazy72 and The Guy like this.

The parents don't really show too much interest in eating their eggs, not like bronze or other corys. But I do collect them when I see them. Shortly after laying, the eggs are softer and stickier so they're easier to collect.
    Last edited by hp10BII; 01-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    crazy72 and The Guy like this.

Yes the eggs are remarkably sticky. And big compared to bronze cory eggs. The other day my son spotted an egg but immediately an apisto picked it up. But the apisto had the hardest time eating it. Perhaps it was the size because the apisto is still young and not adult size, but more likely it was the stickyness. The egg just stay there stuck to the apisto's mouth for minutes and minutes.
    hp10BII and The Guy like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast