Discovery Channel
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Discovery Channel

This is a discussion on Discovery Channel within the Monster FISH!! forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; Hey discovery Channel has the show monster fish on right now and they are talking about red tailed cats. They ...

Forum Novice

DefaultDiscovery Channel

Hey discovery Channel has the show monster fish on right now and they are talking about red tailed cats. They are trying to find one right now. They are calling it a man eater lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I saw the show last night it's good, one of my favorite shows.

Forum Resident Captured Moments's Avatar

I saw the show last night as well. There were some small catfish that were nasty. They would bore a hole through a human or a fish and eat them on the inside leaving only the bones and the outer skin layer. Some bodies at the morgue still had the catfish inside them...
    Then the guy showed a big Payara (Vampire Tetra) that had swallowed another smaller one and was in trouble of dying because it was stuck in it's throat. They had to pull the body out of its throat.
    Then they guy was fishing and caught this huge catfish as big as him. They get even bigger and can be man eaters. Don't remember the name of that specie.
    Cool show.
    Last week the episode showed he was fishing for the largest fish in the Amazon, the Arapaima.
    <ºj))))><......><((((º>

My Stuff

<div class="stuff">
    <?php echo "65 & 60 & 50 Gal Planted, 135 & 20 & 10 & 10 Gal Fish"; ?>
    </div>

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

I watched last night episode as well, great show, I don't know if I will ever swim in the amazon river though Those small catfish are crazy!

So what do you monster keepers think, could a Piraiba catfish grow large enough to swallow a grown man, whole, head first up to his thighs? It seemed plausible to me seeing the size of the mouth of the one he caught which was only about 80 lbs, and knowing they could grow up to 450 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    I watched last night episode as well, great show, I don't know if I will ever swim in the amazon river though Those small catfish are crazy!

So what do you monster keepers think, could a Piraiba catfish grow large enough to swallow a grown man, whole, head first up to his thighs? It seemed plausible to me seeing the size of the mouth of the one he caught which was only about 80 lbs, and knowing they could grow up to 450 lbs.
    Could be true. Depends on how hungry the catfish was at the time or it could have been protecting it's food etc...
    If it is true I'm sure it doesn't happen very often. Probably once every 100 years a story like that will come about regarding catfish. There are other fish in that river though which are a lot more harmful to people...like those little catfish that get into bad places, lol.

id believe it, size of "grown men" varies vastly too