Looking to Hire Out a Snakehead - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Looking to Hire Out a Snakehead

This is a discussion on Looking to Hire Out a Snakehead within the Monster FISH!! forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; you can buy snakehead in T&T supermarket, just ask them to give you alive. then after your project you can ...

Forum Snooper

you can buy snakehead in T&T supermarket, just ask them to give you alive. then after your project you can make some soup

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

All over the Philippines and Canada (Surrey, BC)

Quote Originally Posted by DBam View Post
    For putting together a short video and paper on invasive species I figured why not, they're readily available to us and illegal in the States. It gives me a lot to work with, lots of creative control, and is a little more interesting than doing the same assignment for european holly or atlantic salmon, the latter which environmentalists have beaten to death.
    Hopefully you're not one of those National Geographic guys who made a misleading documentary about snakeheads "Fishzilla". More misleading papers release to the public that don't have a clue about this fish, especially when government steps up. It will only lead to the banning of this fish like what they did in Ontario. I'm not trying to say that you're about to write up a misleading document, but it got me thinking, "Why a video of a snakehead feeding on a feeder?"

knowing David aka Dbam, he will try his best to research and state true about the fish he is trying to do a paper on...

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Charles . King-eL, I've seen the National Geographic. It's exaggerated, but the reality is there's a bigger picture in areas where they are established invasives than in places like ours where they won't establish. In Florida, the law says you *must* kill any snakehead you find, just like we are required to kill any atlantic salmon in BC. They're invasive because they can outcompete the native species and not be kept in check. So my purpose is not to say they shouldn't be kept as pets by a lowermainland resident like you, King-eL, but that they shoudn't be released into warm waterways (which is the same tired old story with each non-native species). You could think of it being the equivalent to someone raising some atlantic salmon at home and then the consequences of dumping them in english bay when they dont want them anymore. However, currently it's a lot easier for me to get primary sources with snakeheads than atlantic salmon. Anyways, King-eL you sound like a responsible person concerned with the ethics involved. I hope you're satisfied that I'm not out to take the snakehead down a notch, but to discuss an area where it's a problem.

All over the Philippines and Canada (Surrey, BC)

Quote Originally Posted by DBam View Post
    Thanks Charles . King-eL, I've seen the National Geographic. It's exaggerated, but the reality is there's a bigger picture in areas where they are established invasives than in places like ours where they won't establish. In Florida, the law says you *must* kill any snakehead you find, just like we are required to kill any atlantic salmon in BC. They're invasive because they can outcompete the native species and not be kept in check. So my purpose is not to say they shouldn't be kept as pets by a lowermainland resident like you, King-eL, but that they shoudn't be released into warm waterways (which is the same tired old story with each non-native species). You could think of it being the equivalent to someone raising some atlantic salmon at home and then the consequences of dumping them in english bay when they dont want them anymore. However, currently it's a lot easier for me to get primary sources with snakeheads than atlantic salmon. Anyways, King-eL you sound like a responsible person concerned with the ethics involved. I hope you're satisfied that I'm not out to take the snakehead down a notch, but to discuss an area where it's a problem.
    Ok good glad to hear.

As for the snakehead that you should get is the channa argus which is available in China Town or TnT. Best get them in China Town or contact Richard aka richbca for the address. Also it's best to take vids of channa argus it is the most invasive species of snakehead that can tolerate cold temperature. Also once you're done with the vid, you can always cook the fish. No need for a hassle of reselling it and might end up on somebody who's not responsible fish keeper.

Thanks King-eL and lamyfung, the plan is to meet up and check out Ben's snakehead. The T&T idea is great, and I might follow through as a backup plan.

A big thanks to beN for his help. And thanks to everyone who contributed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2