Fish store visit gone wrong!
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Fish store visit gone wrong!

This is a discussion on Fish store visit gone wrong! within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; I was recently on holidays and as usual, I always stop at LFS in random towns to check out there ...

Default Fish store visit gone wrong!

I was recently on holidays and as usual, I always stop at LFS in random towns to check out there fish selection. This weekend I was up at Williams lake so I visited the fish store I didn't get to visit last year. I was excited

I walked out of this store with a smile on my face and a few tears in my eyes. The LFS had some of the coolest Tanganikan's I have seen any where. I walked around the store with the owner naming off all the fish I recognized. He was amazed on my African knowledge.

I was amazed I could recognize any of them because the tanks were filthy. This store had the dirtiest tanks I have ever seen. Literally no filters on any of them. All that was left was a single air line blowing the odd bubble into the tanks. He had filters but most were not working. Hair algae factory going on, I was saddened. Great selection of Africans. Almost all 30+ tanks had them. Many were mature. Most likely because no one is buying them. There was literally 2" of sediment on the bottom of every tank. My god!

Im not sure if I would ever buy a fish from that store. They'd likely go into shock after being introduced to my clean water. I left the store without saying goodbye which isn''t like me. I was so close to asking the owner why he tanks are so horrible and why he chooses to do nothing about it. I decided to not comment( wish I would of) and left.

Im still scratching my head on how the owner could say to me as I entered his store. "I have the largest selections of cichlids in BC" That comment proves to me he is passionate about his store. Why doesn't he care his fish tanks are disgusting? Its not good foe the fishs heath to live in a pit. He had a couple of large tanks that were his prized fish. Once again absolutely filled with years of left over food etc......

Just wanted to share my experience. I will not name the store, In hopes he will CLEAN his act up. You Tang collectors would of loved to see all his fish but most likely left like me scratching you head wondering. We would die for fish like that closer to home.

I will assume the store will likely run out of business. If I lived up there. Id be applying for a job there and cleaning the heck out of his tanks. Im sure his store was a hidden Gem back in the day.
    Last edited by jbyoung00008; 08-21-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    210g African dream tank up and running!!!!!! No more 120g

My 120 gallon African Cichlid tank build

**AFRICAN CICHLID VIDEO 22 months after setup**

My 25 gallon CO2 injected planted tank evolutiuon

33g African grow out tank

5.5g African grow out tank

26g Angel fish, black tetra, rummy nose tank @ my moms

Coming soon 210g African display tank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Guru

that sounds brutal. Did the fish look healthy despite the conditions? I wonder what the water parameters are in his tanks.

For the most part the fish seemed healthy. I did see numerous fish with defects. Im not sure if that's from over breeding or terrible water conditions.

The owner mentioned he keeps his tanks Ph high. He said his TDS reading but I don't know that scale. Maybe he was half blind and doesn't notice the all the waste in the tanks
    210g African dream tank up and running!!!!!! No more 120g

My 120 gallon African Cichlid tank build

**AFRICAN CICHLID VIDEO 22 months after setup**

My 25 gallon CO2 injected planted tank evolutiuon

33g African grow out tank

5.5g African grow out tank

26g Angel fish, black tetra, rummy nose tank @ my moms

Coming soon 210g African display tank

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

It's crazy what you can find out there. I was just in a local pet store on Friday and spent $20 bucks trying to save the world - one fish at a time. The tank conditions were ok but they don't pay attention to their stock. They brought in a group of salvinis about 3 months ago. All good when they are newbies and crammed into a standard LPS tank. 3 months goes by and only a couple have sold...but the fish get bigger and more aggressive.

I would lower the price and get them out of there but no...they let them get bigger so they start pounding on each other. that looks good - fish with big open sores, no tail, etc...

Anyhow, I bought the remaining 5 and I am trying to salvage the 4 battered ones...hospital tanks. Obviously the one big brute of the group is doing well!