Iodotropheus sprengerae aka rusty cichlid
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Iodotropheus sprengerae aka rusty cichlid

This is a discussion on Iodotropheus sprengerae aka rusty cichlid within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; Just wondering if anyone is breeding iodotropheus sprengerae? Im interested in housing a small group with my pseudotropheus saulosi (chindongo ...

Forum Beginner

Default Iodotropheus sprengerae aka rusty cichlid

Just wondering if anyone is breeding iodotropheus sprengerae? Im interested in housing a small group with my pseudotropheus saulosi (chindongo saulosi) im hoping they are different enough species that risk of hybridization will be fairly low, but interested in experienced opinions as I am extremely new to mbuna and trying to avoid major mistakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Haven’t kept them with saulosi before, but when I had mbunas back in the day I kept my group of I. sprengerae with Labidochromis caeruleus with no issues. IMO their colors are different enough for them to keep to themselves. If you give the males enough females to keep them busy and ensure there’s enough space to set their own territories you should be ok!

Forum Beginner

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. I wasnt able to find any sprengerae, and against my original plan ended up trying a 4 species combo. Pseudotropheus saulosi, labridochromis hongi, labeotropheus fuelleborni OB, and xystichromis sp flamebacks. All are juveniles currently and locally bred. This species combo was getting along well for one of the breeders so im giving it a shot.