L. hecqui spawning help
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

L. hecqui spawning help

This is a discussion on L. hecqui spawning help within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; ...

Forum Novice

I have a group of 14 L. hecqui in a 55G I've been trying to get to spawn for a couple months, but so far no dice.

The parameters of the tank they're in are a temp of 78° and a ph of 8.4. (Can't remember the rest off the top of my head). No Am./Nitrite/very low Nitrate.

Current diet consists of veggie flakes, Northfin cichlid and veggie formula, and the occasional treat of bug bites.

I've tried big water changes, as well as doing a water change that's a few degrees colder. Alternating light/heavy feeding schedule hasn't seemed to help either.

I've been trying with PVC pipes (they aren't WC, so I didn't think this would be too much of an issue). Should I try regular shells? Ay recommendations on where to source shells that are large enough?

What am I overlooking? Anyone with firsthand experience keeping this species able to lend their two cents?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Hello Joey,

I have a pair of these in a small tank ... wish I had more. If I get any action I will let you know. Sounds like a few folks may have some interest if we get any surplus juvies in the future. How did you acquire that number of fish they don't seem that common around here.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Forum Novice

Quote Originally Posted by VElderton View Post
    Hello Joey,

I have a pair of these in a small tank ... wish I had more. If I get any action I will let you know. Sounds like a few folks may have some interest if we get any surplus juvies in the future. How did you acquire that number of fish they don't seem that common around here.
    Actually acquired this many over the last 6 or so months from various shipments that Fish Addicts got in. I initially had some of them in a smaller tank, but didn't have any luck with that, either.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Try feeding them some meaty food foods. i.e. Blood worms etc. The ones I had loved them. Sometimes a nice romantic dinner gets them in the mood.

Fish addicts has some good size shells.
    Last edited by Just-Koi; 11-23-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just-Koi View Post
    Try feeding them some meaty food foods. i.e. Blood worms etc. The ones I had loved them. Sometimes a nice romantic dinner gets them in the mood.
    How do you get the candles to stay lit? My tanks are too humid.
    Just-Koi likes this.

Forum Novice

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Trying a few things, so hopefully one (or some combination) of them works!

- Bigger weekly+ water changes
    - Added some cichlid lake salt
    - Started them on some frozen meaty foods (have added brine shrimp and blood worms into their diet)
    - Adding some additional (and different) PVC pipes while I look for some shells that are large enough. Was in tonight and Fish Addicts didn't really have any.

Forum God

Sometimes ebay has larger shells.

Maybe they are not old enough to breed yet???? Any idea on how old they need to be to breed? That might be a factor.
    210g African dream tank up and running!!!!!! No more 120g

My 120 gallon African Cichlid tank build

**AFRICAN CICHLID VIDEO 22 months after setup**

My 25 gallon CO2 injected planted tank evolutiuon

33g African grow out tank

5.5g African grow out tank

26g Angel fish, black tetra, rummy nose tank @ my moms

Coming soon 210g African display tank

Forum Novice

Just a quick update. Swapped around some shells and PVC "shells" with my multi colony. WOW! Within minutes the level of activity (and aggression!) in this tank skyrocketed. I hung some PVC tubing along the top of the tank to add some cover for fish that get chased up there, but I won't be surprised if I lose a couple/few to aggression.

Have had these guys on an alternating diet of Northfin cichlid/veggie and frozen brine shrimp. Lots of activity, and there are definitely three 3"+ dominant males holding down their territory now.

Fingers crossed that I'm getting closer to some spawns.

Might add more PVC "shells" tomorrow, since they seem pretty fired up over them. Diatoms are getting a little ugly on the PVC litter, but it's a lot more work than it's worth to disturb the tank and clean them at this stage.

Sorry for the less-than-stellar iPhone photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Novice

Another update: Added some larger PVC "shells" (elbows+short length of pipe and cap) today. They didn't seem to show much interest in them. The 3-4 dominant males still aren't letting anything else in the tank into their territories (including my arm!).

When I checked earlier this evening, the ph was 8.4 and temp 77°. Didn't check anything else, but water changes and filter maintenance are frequent (weekly and monthly), so I'm not concerned about Am/Nitrite/Nitrate being the factor.

Diet is still Northfin cichlid, veggie, and frozen brine shrimp. Occasionally I give them some bloodworms, too. Can't think of a much better feed for these guys.

Maybe I need to add some real shells, addition PVCs, and play the waiting game?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast