Live rock
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Live rock

This is a discussion on Live rock within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; I'm originally a salt water guy and became pretty obsessed with it but i took a couple years off and ...

Forum Newbie

DefaultLive rock

I'm originally a salt water guy and became pretty obsessed with it but i took a couple years off and now i'm jumping back in. I've always wanted to do a cichlid tank. I have a bunch of old dead liverock from my salt water tanks i was wanting to use in the display tank. Has anyone done this before with cichlids? If anything i would think the help to raise and maintain the PH level. If someone has done this can you post a picture? Do you see any negative effects in using it? The old liverock will provide awesome territories for the cichlids over using river rock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

I don't see any problem as long as it's cured. And if it is, its not really "live" rocks anymore as all the beneficial bacterias are all dead. Depending on the type of rock it is it may help increase the PH and hardness. In short, as long all the bacteria on 'em rocks are dead, you're good to go.

I'm sure it's fine.. You might want to boil them or soak them for a while if possible to try and remove any leftover sea salt or dead organics? just a suggestion. Do some google searches or searches on cichlid-forum to see if someone has done it before. I'm willing to bet that someone has done it before.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Here's an interesting post from a quick search I did...

"Bad news...

I was missing a small pleco in my 20g here at work... Pulled up all the rocks and decorations, and found that he had apparently tried to swim through one of the small passage ways in the coral rock and got stuck .

I also noticed it's pretty sharp, which I think is why he got stuck. I've removed this particular rock and don't think I will be getting any more - I hate losing fish."

Just make sure there's no excessively sharp edges or holes small enough that the cichlids can get stuck or hurt themselves. Most of them love swimming between holes/cracks/caves and it sucks to lose fish.

Edit: Also I noticed a lot of people suggesting soaking it in bleach over night and then rinsing it and soaking it in freshwater over night if you can't boil them (not sure if they're too big to boil or not). Just make sure you do a sniff test after to see if you can still smell bleach.

Forum Newbie

I think i'll pass. I have access to river rock which from what i've researched is more natural for them anyway. Thanks for help though guys

Forum Newbie

What i was thinking though, instead of using live rock in my display i would use it as my bio filter in the sump. A friend has huge bucket of dried dead 'live rock'. The rock itself will work way better than any bio filter media i could buy in the stores, not to mention it will help in maintaining a constant PH level.

Forum Newbie

Hey, buddy. I think, it will work without any problems, but there is one thing, that you, that you should take into consideration - old live rocks. I think it would be better, if you will change them. Moreover, they don't cost a lot, but they can be full of the bacteria, if they have been in the water all this time. Of course, you can use your old ones if you're not afraid of the fish's death. I think it will be very sad, if they will die, because of it. It's your business.