New Mbuna Tank Advice
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VElderton

New Mbuna Tank Advice

This is a discussion on New Mbuna Tank Advice within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; I am setting up two new Mbuna tanks and was looking for advice on stocking. Tank size is not yet ...

DefaultNew Mbuna Tank Advice

I am setting up two new Mbuna tanks and was looking for advice on stocking. Tank size is not yet determined as I am going to add them two my new built-in books shelves. probably 55g tanks. Each tank will have 3 different species/variety and 1 male and 4 females of those species/varieties.

Tank 1 will have P. saulosi because I already have these fish.

Tank 2 will have Msobo Deep Maguna or Melanochromis johanni "GOME" (I like the different coloured females)

So what I would like advice on is what are 2 more species that I could add to each tank? Or maybe it is easier to ask what not to put together? Here is the list of fish I can get and like:

Nkhomo Lime
    Chewere
    Rusty
    Afra Nkhata Bay
    Afra Cobue
    Lab. Chisumulae
    Metriaclima callonios cobalt or OB
    Metriaclima estherae Cherry red or OB

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Good luck with your plans. I just stick to the less aggressive fish so I'm not the best help for that, but I found it's been tough to make a plan and then actually find the fish I wanted. I have mixed Hap, peacock, and mbuna.

Honestly you can mix but I’d stick your plan on keep Mbuna only. But you can keep any of them you want
    500 gallon plywood tank
    230 motor stingray breeding tank. led lighting, dual sump sump,and drip system
    150 gallon saltwater mixed reef.
    150 gallon African cichlid
    90 gallon fahaka puffer tank
    75 gallon flowerhorn tank
    55 gallon axolotle tank
    loads of guppies and shrimp tanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Most of my African communities are in 55 - 60 G tanks. I like the sexually dimorphic species so it's easy to pick males from females ... makes it a whole lot easier. Also choosing a ratio of 1 male / 4 or 5 females is a good plan. Usually I keep 2 Mbuna groups with a Hap or Peacock group and that works well. I have found 15 - 20 Africans in a 55 - 60 G tank works well with a 10 X per water filtration rate. I also think keeping a dark species with a light species works well. So given your starting selection I would suggest.

Tank #1 - P. saulosi

• Chewere
    • Afra Nkhata Bay
    • Afra Cobue

Tank #2 Melanochromis johanni"GOME"

• Rusty
    Metriaclima estherae Cherry red

Some the species you are looking for are not readily available locally so I am assuming you are importing? I have a nice strain of Metriaclima estherae if you are interested in young juveniles - they'll be sellable in about 6 weeks.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Thanks for the advice VElderton. I am wondering about hybrids if I put the two Afra together. Might they not cross breed? Also, I have recently read that johanni are on the high end of aggression. Would you agree?

Good questions

1. Interbreeding: Within closely related species of Africans, i.e. Afra genus hybridizing is always possible. Some of these closely related genus/species are only separate because they occupy little unique areas in the lake and have not interacted with each other for a very long time. One scenario is that some time in the past they were one species when lake levels were lower and they completely inter-mixed but now that lake levels are higher, deep water separates them and they don't mix anymore. For these types of closely related genus/species the hobbyist that wants to stay true to the species keeping these fish in different tanks makes the most sense. Another approach is choosing close genus/species that live together in the wild and don't interbreed. A good example from Lk. Tanganyika would be T. duboisi & any of the T. moorii sub-species. T. duboisi are from the north of the lake and T. moorii are from the south, in the wild they co-exist without interbreeding and the same is true in the home aquarium. I keep I]T. duboisi[/I] and T. moorii "Bemba" coloines together without a problem. However putting any of the T. moorii together and the likelihood of cross-breeding is always possible - T. moorii "Bemba" and T. moorii "Chilenga" for example.
    2. Aggression: Africans are feisty, no question. They are use to be being in pretty tight groups and protecting their territory. I have found the solution to this is keeping them in a tank that reduces general stress by:

• having relatively high densities of fish ... like I posted before 20 - 30 fish, in a 50 G tank works and is dynamic
      • provide lots of rocks to hide in that's their native habitat - mbuna means "rockfish" in the language of the Tonga people of Malawi
      • use a substrate like Caribsea cichlid sand with plenty of crushed coral to moderate the acidity which is natural in our water
      • cichlid salt to help with water hardness - I replenish with SeaChem cichlid salt with every water change
      • plenty of flow and filtration to deal with bio-waste in high density tanks - I use the 10 x hour rule on water filtration, knowing that my filters will never be 100% all the time
      • lots of surface agitation to provide great aeration - I combine sponge filters with canister or HOB filters to do this
      • weekly water changes

With less overall stress I keep ratios of 1 male / 4 -5 females. In these scenarios females are always in the majority so finding females that are colourful is a often goal. My guess is Johanni are no more agressive than Melanochromis auratus that I keep and breed and found to be among the most aggressive. The males are black & cream/yellow - females are black/silver/yellow striped, as long I stick to the 1 male / 4 -5 female rule things work out fine.

Hope this helps ...
    Last edited by VElderton; 05-12-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    J Moore likes this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.