Is over Filtration really necessary? - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Is over Filtration really necessary?

This is a discussion on Is over Filtration really necessary? within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; I agree the more bio-breakdown between water changes the better. As I said my aim is have at least 10 ...

I agree the more bio-breakdown between water changes the better. As I said my aim is have at least 10 x of the tank volume of filtered each hour.

I have just started using Hydroton thanks to Anthony's suggestion, I think it's a great product and very economical too. In particular the type I purchased @ Jon's Plant Factory in Burnaby is small and spherical which means lots of surface area. I started using much more expensive Biohome Ultra 2 months ago after some research and when I found AngelFins was importing it. It's another media that works on 3 forms of ammonia and I like the results from it as well.

Hydroton is clay based, Biohome is cinder glass. Hydroton floats, Biohome does not. I am mixing them both in all my canister and HOB filters. I also use open cell sponges to capture detritus and breakdown bio-solids before flowing through the media to make it as efficient as possible.

Thanks for the original post to this thread, it's great information for everyone.
    hp10BII likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

So much to learn love this hobby keeps challenging my mind lol

Quote Originally Posted by VElderton View Post
    I agree the more bio-breakdown between water changes the better. As I said my aim is have at least 10 x of the tank volume of filtered each hour.

I have just started using Hydroton thanks to Anthony's suggestion, I think it's a great product and very economical too. In particular the type I purchased @ Jon's Plant Factory in Burnaby is small and spherical which means lots of surface area. I started using much more expensive Biohome Ultra 2 months ago after some research and when I found AngelFins was importing it. It's another media that works on 3 forms of ammonia and I like the results from it as well.

Hydroton is clay based, Biohome is cinder glass. Hydroton floats, Biohome does not. I am mixing them both in all my canister and HOB filters. I also use open cell sponges to capture detritus and breakdown bio-solids before flowing through the media to make it as efficient as possible.

Thanks for the original post to this thread, it's great information for everyone.
    I overfilter, but since I need flow, I might as well get some filtration from water movement too. Also serves as a backup just in case one system crashes and at least you'll have some biomedia to help things along.

Seachem Matrix made claims about nitrate reduction, but I didn't notice much difference. Still needed to do just as much water changes to keep numbers in check.

Only question that I have is mixing Hydroton with Biohome - how would you be able to tell which product was more efficient in removing nitrates? Did you noticed much reduction in nitrates using Biohome prior to adding Hydroton?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

You guys are way smarter then me lol must have been really good in science class I'm guessing. Ok so from what I gathered I think good idea to add another filter just to be safe side and also incase one goes down. I'm not convinced I need it with once a week water changes, but if I can control nitrates and go longer between water changes then great. Bought another Xp3 and will fill it up with hydroton to see if it help control nitrates and hopefully I can extend my water changes up to 2 weeks possibly. Will let you know if I think it helping. Thanks so much for your expertise all! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I'm not a fan of canister filters, even though I'm using 3 of them. Just a pain to service compared to an HOB like Aquaclear and a good ol' fashioned sponge filter. Like someone else mentioned, canisters can be a nitrate factory, but maybe loaded with Hydroton...? Let us know how you do with them.

oh ya thats right nitrate factory.. kinda missed that was thinking he meant a particular kind. So is that what most people think about canister filters? Nitrate factory? I like my XP3 it seems pretty good hope its not cause of higher nitrates. I find my AC 110 can't handle sand compared to my canister(fish are always kicking it up and it gets sucked into filter).

Our salt water friends do not like canisters for that very reason. If you clean out your canisters fairly often like monthly, that would help. Try a pre filter on your AC110, it would with the sand issue.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Canister filters with hydroton will remove, not create, nitrates. Set up with standard media (floss/pads, bioballs, etc.) and yeah, its a nitrate factory.

Ok seahorse fanatic please can you tell me how to set it up the best? I just put hydroton in every basket and no filter pads? Just tested nitrates again not happy with readings. Its only been 5 days since last water change.

With Hydroton and Biohome like any media it's got to be cycled to establish bacterial colonies, this should be done before hooking it up to your tank. Biohome is even sold with an innocultaing bacteria gel packs to speed the process but I have found it takes a good week or more to get the bacterial colonies well established I use a 20 l (5 gallon) bucket like an active sump to get new filter media ready.

SeaHorse_Fanatic has more experience with Hydroton than I have but I think you can put it in each basket however I think it's also important to get the water as physically clean as possible before passing through any media this helps the bacteria do their job without getting clogged up with debris.

To do this

1. I use pre-filters, which are good for a number of reasons. I have bought some great Filter Max kits that adapt to the intake of Aquaclear HOB filters and many others nicey with lots of volume and large intake foams so they don't clog quickly

2. From there the water is filtered through foam media inside the filter box and water polishing pad before the Biohome and/or Hydroton in my HOB, canister and DIY combo filters. I have been buying the generic pond foam with undulating surface for greater surface area and filter pads on-line and cutting them to size and converting all my HOB, canister and DIY combo filters. The foam and pads last forever ... really saves on expensive accessories.

Do I know which is more efficient Biohome or Hydroton? No. I have not tested this or controlled for this. My guess is comparing both is that Biohome probably has superior surface area for aerobic bacteria that breaks down ammonia and nitrite but has less of the dense core for anaerobic bacteria to colonize and is required to keep these bacteria away from oxygen that will kill it, so I think this makes Biohome potentially less efficient than Hydroton for nitrate breakdown.

I have also started to put Biohome and Hydroton media into the centre core of foam filters when I can ... can't get much in there but I am going with the assumption that something is better than nothing. The small sphere size of the Hydroton I purchased helps in this application as well.

Here are some things to consider with both these media

1. Hydroton is about 5x cheaper than Biohome and available locally
    2. Both media like the ceramic media sold with AquaClear and Fluval canister filters is pretty tough and will last a LONG time
    3. The cinder glass matrix of the Biohome will probably last longer than Hydrton's clay matrix but I have not tested this

Since they function the same way but have slighyly different properties that's why I mix them and usually put them in filter bags for easy rinsing when necessary.

Hope this helps ... as stated above always lots to learn, and test out, makes this a great hobby
    Last edited by VElderton; 12-29-2016 at 12:35 AM.
    hp10BII and blueberry like this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast