some old and new African's - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

some old and new African's

This is a discussion on some old and new African's within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; cool shots! how big are these guys...that's what i don't like about pics, you don't get an idea of scale ...

Forum Resident

cool shots! how big are these guys...that's what i don't like about pics, you don't get an idea of scale unless it's beside something you know. i could only imagine these guys are pretty grown to be in a 160g!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Fish have been breeding through several generations and many species so, size varies from tiny fry up too 6"+ , too give you a bit of reference the palm of my hand is ~4" wide,

Some of the older males dwarf most Mbuna I see even of the same species, I don’t separate fry unless I’m working on a specific breeding project.
    Normally everything is born in tank and fends for itself, my electric blue hap and vic’s help keep the numbers down.

Then a couple times a year I scoop out anything in the .5”-2” range pick out the "keepers" to put back in with the adults and the rest are given away or tossed into one of my other tanks as feeders.
    Last edited by -DC-; 06-13-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Current tanks ! 240g- RTG aro, Indo Dat,FRT, 2x Endli & ornate bichirs.160g- Pair of african butterflys, Fire eel, Rope fish, 3x Senegal,2x lapradei & delhezi bichirs, 160g- Breeding pair Channa Aurantimaculata,100g- channa auranti juvies, 90g- channa auranti juvies, 70g- Channa Asiatica,35g- Pair of Channa Gachua, 35g- 6x channa Bleheri, 180g- awaiting new tennents ! 135- awaiting new tennents!

Forum Novice

Hi DC; I just love the yellow OB. I want one.......LOL Cant wait until you show pics of the newer generation.

I'm finally making some space in my 90 gal. sold 3 labs, 3 red zebras, and the socolofi fry today. Going to move the rest of the labs and some red zebras into my 120. My only concern is the kenyi. he might beat them up ( labs ) as they are yellow. What do you think?

Now to try and breed my simichromis diagrammas in my open 33gal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't expect any problems between yellow labs and kenyi , kenyi are very territorial chances are once your male chooses a spot the lab's will set up shop opposite side.
    I fine kenyi aggression issues only occur if the kenyi is challenged.

Lab's wont try too take over, wont try too stop him from breeding and likely wont show any interest in his females so he shouldn't bother them.

on a side note I'm also a huge fan of the yellow ob, should have some fry from her in the next couple week's, not sure on the father hoping it's on of my 2 neon yellow males which should result in the same black blotching but even brighter yellow.
    Current tanks ! 240g- RTG aro, Indo Dat,FRT, 2x Endli & ornate bichirs.160g- Pair of african butterflys, Fire eel, Rope fish, 3x Senegal,2x lapradei & delhezi bichirs, 160g- Breeding pair Channa Aurantimaculata,100g- channa auranti juvies, 90g- channa auranti juvies, 70g- Channa Asiatica,35g- Pair of Channa Gachua, 35g- 6x channa Bleheri, 180g- awaiting new tennents ! 135- awaiting new tennents!

Forum Novice

Well I moved the labs and red zebras into the 120 along with my OB and so far everything is fine. The kenyi isnt bothering the labs as long as they keep mid way or further away, and the red zebras are tolerated in his zone. What did surprize me was watching the large socolofi male chasing the kenyi back to his own area. I think thats a first.
    After catching the labs and zebras which took an hour, and having to remove a lot of rock to do so, I came across a single small fry less than 1/2 inch long which I then lost amongst the remaining rock. If he doesnt get eaten and survives it will be interesting to see what he turns out to be. I didnt get a very good look as I was doing a w/c and gravel cleaning so have no idea except he seemed to be very light coloured.
    Time will tell.

Long shot, but can you tell me if this OB is M/F?
    http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...ofP1010249.jpg
    http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...ofP1010225.jpg

hard to say with the pic's sorry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2