Green suspended algae in my outdoor pond.
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Green suspended algae in my outdoor pond.

This is a discussion on Green suspended algae in my outdoor pond. within the Outdoor Ponds forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Hi everyone. I am looking for a solution to clean up some cloudy green algae suspended in the water of ...

Forum Newbie

DefaultGreen suspended algae in my outdoor pond.

Hi everyone. I am looking for a solution to clean up some cloudy green algae suspended in the water of my outdoor goldfish pond. The water is so murky with the stuff that you could barely make out the colorful fish. There is no power available at the site, so I need to find a biological solution. For instance, I heard daphnia will eat the algae... but will the goldfish eat the daphnia? The pond is pretty overstocked, so any algae-eater that goldfish might snack on isn't going to work
    Thanks in advance for all your advice, fellow pond enthusiasts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum God

Lots of water changes, water hyacinth, and less stocking will all help but it is very difficult to keep outdoor ponds clear without UV and filters. There are cheap solar pumps available to help with water circulation.

Forum Snooper

Yeah it’s possible to have a pond with no power, but suggest under stocking it in your case.
    Or find a way to get power out there for a pump and UV system.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fireweed View Post
    Yeah it’s possible to have a pond with no power, but suggest under stocking it in your case.
    Or find a way to get power out there for a pump and UV system.
    That's actually a good advice. I mean it would be much easier for you to install a pond pump, than changing water every weekend. Trust me on that. Whan I was a small kid, I had a small aquarium and a turtle. It was terrible, by the end of the week the water became so dark and dirty. So, we installed a small pump and it was okay. I guess even the turtle was happy, huh