Hydor Inline Heater
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By aprilsaquarium
  • 1 Post By hp10BII

Hydor Inline Heater

This is a discussion on Hydor Inline Heater within the Planted Tank Specific forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Setting up a planted tank .... seems like the only option for an inline heater to keep equipment out of ...

Forum Novice

Default Hydor Inline Heater

Setting up a planted tank .... seems like the only option for an inline heater to keep equipment out of the tank ... but I have a couple of concerns:

1 - they seem heavy - worried it would put a strain on the hose and cause a leak (popping off)

2- Amazon reviews are not good - alot of heaters failing and cooking fish, and / or leaking.

My other option is a cobalt neo-therm heater and just cover it up with plants.

Anyone have any negative experiences with the hydor inline heater? I would be attaching it to an Eheim 2213.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Guru

It is big and heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _noob likes this.

It mounts on your return line, if it's mounted correctly the weight shouldn't be a problem. On my eheim canister I bought screw hose clamps and they never failed on me. One of the best and most reliable heater I've ever had, the temperature locks in and that's it, so I never had a problem with them.

But you need more wattage than a conventional heater. If you're nervous about leakage, well there's 2 new connection points to worry about. I don't know of any heaters without some failure rate, all brands of heaters fail because they use cheap thermostats inside. My best setup has been a submersible heater with an external thermostat and my favourite heaters right now are aqueon pro heaters, but they are mounted inside the tank.
    _noob likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Thanks for the info, yes since I’m already new to canister filters adding two new potential leak points makes me nervous lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hp10BII View Post
    It mounts on your return line, if it's mounted correctly the weight shouldn't be a problem. On my eheim canister I bought screw hose clamps and they never failed on me. One of the best and most reliable heater I've ever had, the temperature locks in and that's it, so I never had a problem with them.

But you need more wattage than a conventional heater. If you're nervous about leakage, well there's 2 new connection points to worry about. I don't know of any heaters without some failure rate, all brands of heaters fail because they use cheap thermostats inside. My best setup has been a submersible heater with an external thermostat and my favourite heaters right now are aqueon pro heaters, but they are mounted inside the tank.
    I second this method and have always used a Finnex external temperature controller paired up with an ever dependable Eheim heater.
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

been running mind for 5 years now. haven't had any issues. I haven't secured mine properly. definitely worth it for me as my tank isn't cluttered with equipment.

Forum Beginner

I use an undergravel heater with my 72 gal high-tech setup, with an external control unit. Has worked well for me. The theory is that the undergravel heaters provide some small thermal circulation currents around the roots, which helps distribute nutrients and avoid any anaerobic problems. And no, I personally have never experienced any issues with 'cooking' the roots of the plants, but the tank is of course in the warm part of the house. Only issue I have had is when re-landscaping one has to be careful to not pull up the heater cable when removing heavily rooted plants such as some very large bleheri.

Forum Beginner

No issues with leaks and if mounted correctly the weight won't be an issue. Mine however lasted less than 1 year. For the price I was not impressed and wouldn't buy another one. What I really miss are the Rena Smart Heaters that hooked up on the end of the filter intake. Those worked really well and also reduced tank clutter.