baned members
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

baned members

This is a discussion on baned members within the Problems/Complaints/Suggestions forums, part of the BCA Main Navigation category; why so many ppl just go bad ? lol...

Default baned members

why so many ppl just go bad ? lol
    Tanks and stuff

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

my first thought was if you get banned and really liked being on here, why can't you register as another person?
    Or does this site register ip addresses?
    20G community baby plecos, Endlers, Amanos, Red Cherries, 2 baby Panda corys.
    55g temporary community, large pleco,BNP's, congo tetras, 4 Balas, Lemon Tetras,
    Setting up 80g community
    Future wish list... Torpedo Barbs, Corys and more loaches.----oops, just read about Clowns picking on Corys-----

Ip gets tracked, but the ban is usually temporary and gets severe for repeat offenders.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I understand the trouble makers getting the boot, but I've also noticed members now banned who I had no idea were causing trouble or even had questionable material in posts. These are people I even had transactions with who showed up as banned when, months or years later, I happen upon their username. Maybe a mod could clarify that for me, it feels weird remembering meeting someone or even helping them out sometime and then finding out they're banned, but maybe I have too much faith in people or are just too darn nice :P

As for recent banning of members, I can only think of one case, and I have no doubt that it was a hard earned and deserved ban.

There are many reasons members get banned but usually it's due to inappropriate/unacceptable behavior. Most times they were warned atleast once, in recent cases they were warned multiple times and chose to continue to disrespect the forum rules and guidelines. Usually they get a temp ban for he first offense, and a perma-ban the next time. If, while banned, they start another account, they then earn a permaban. Multiple accounts are against the rules too,, especially when your banned. One member had like 25 accounts so he could constantly comment/bump his ads/threads....which is a fine example of why multiple accounts are frowned upon. Most recently a couple members were banned and decided to use proxy servers to mask their IP's. While that works for a short time, it's only a matter of time before they will get found out and get banned again. Proxy servers are an easy way to get caught as we have many resources to help identify them.
    There is a member on a 30 ban right now, because he made an account up for one of the perma-banned members, therefore he earned a temp ban. If we ban a member , there was a good reason for it and that decision should be respected as we are simply doing what we feel is best for the community. I should add here that not all cases happen in the open forum, there have been times it happened thru PM's or the instant messenger. People are not always what they appear. many of us mods and even one of the owners have been cursed at and called some very bad names from some of the banned members. We do not like to deprive anyone of being a part of the great community, but if we do, then there was a very good reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerOscar View Post
    my first thought was if you get banned and really liked being on here, why can't you register as another person?
    Or does this site register ip addresses?
    Yes all IP's are available to us whether it's ones they registered or posted with or ones they are currently logged on with. All new members get checked so we know if it is a previously banned member or soon to be spammer.
    If a person really enjoys being a part of this great community, then all they ever had to do was respect the rules and decisions/request made by the administration. Pretty simple if you ask me.

We do our best to keep the site family friendly & free of drama & those who just like to continually stir the pot.....so the site can be enjoyed by all. The decisions to ban someone are usually discussed with all the mods and administrators before an appropriate course of action is taken.
    I can't go into full detail with why each member was banned but I do hope this answers your question in general.

Mr Know It all

now for those of us who use VPNs on a normal basis but follow the rules and have only one account, do we risk a ban? I normally only use my vpn for netflix, but sometimes my kids click it on or my wife forgets to disconnect
    33G Reef || 20G Chain Loach Tank || 9.8G Twin Tanks || 2.5G Nano Tank
    Neven's Planted Addiction
    Neven's 33G Reef!

lol Rob, I think your safe..I only concentrate my efforts on members who were banned from here.
    Multiple accounts from the same the IP are going to happen if family members have their own accounts. But it's pretty obvious with the ones who have multiple accounts for themselves. I spend alot of time investigating the questionable ones. So only those who were previously banned are at risk.

As usual John you have explained the banning process very well with allowable details. Thanks Laurie
    Diztrbd1 likes this.
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

I have been here for a long time and I can say with confidence that we have one of the best mods. They always do a great job and take extra effort to keep this site a haven for everyone.
    I never question their decisions for banning people as I have been seeing how well they handle this process and its VERY fair IMO. Most other forums wont be so lenient.
    75 Gallon Planted Tank: {Video}
    155 Gallon BowFront Tank:{Video}

The fact that it is needed to ban members of an aquarium forum is almost disturbing. This is a fun hobby and this forum provides a lot of valuable information for those seeking it. For those that come on here with negative, sometimes vulgar comments should be banned. It negatively affects participation and dissuades potential members from being active. Good job mods!
    www.islandpets.ca
    Self proclaimed "Buffer crusader!" "Anti cyanide crusader!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast